How to Change Skyrim's Default Save Game Location?

ADragonCalledGeorge

• 1 month later...

So I'm roughly 2 and a half years late on answering this question, but hopefully this solution can help future readers.

I was having the same issue with wanting to put my Skyrim saves (and my saves for other games, for that matter) on another drive. What I did was simple:

1. Navigate to C:\Users\<Your PC Username>\Documents
  2. Cut the My Games folder from this location and paste it to an ideal location on your 2nd drive.
  3. Open the Command Prompt (CMD) with Administrator Privileges
  4. Enter in the following command:
  5. mklink /d "C:\Users\<Your PC Username>\Documents\My Games" "<Path to your new My Games Folder>"

In case that last step is not clear, here's an example of what I entered in:

mklink /d "C:\Users\TheGhostTown\Documents\My Games" "D:\SteamLibrary\My Games"

This creates a symbolic link (similar to something like a desktop shortcut) between "C:\Users\<Your PC Username>\Documents\My Games" and whatever path you moved the "My Games" folder to.

• 2 years later...

Thank you so much! TheGhostTown, but I have a few issues with this that I would appreciate if anyone could help me with!

Whenever I delete the "My Games" folder in my C drive and load Skyrim from my D drive "My Games" appear in my C drive again. The while reason I wanted to move this to the D drive was to save space on my C drive...

Edited by Thaumatomane

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I'm getting an annoying thing where all my Skyrim saves are going to OneDrive. Predictably, when OneDrive got filled up due to this, whenever I try to load a save the game simply freezes.

Still have not figured out why the saves are stored in OneDrive in the first place.

I'm getting an annoying thing where all my Skyrim saves are going to OneDrive. Predictably, when OneDrive got filled up due to this, whenever I try to load a save the game simply freezes.

Still have not figured out why the saves are stored in OneDrive in the first place.

They're saved wherever Windows has the default "My Documents" folder set. They're saving in OneDrive because, intentionally or not, you set OneDrive to be the default place for My Documents. You can change this in either OneDrive or Windows' settings (I can't remember which right now).

• 3 years later...

Hello all, I have same question. But my situation is litle bit different. So I have Portable SSD Disk and I use a lot of type laptops, My games are inside my portable disk. I wanna whichever laptop I open, the game will see my saves in the portable disk. My save folder is same folder with game.