Need some info on a patch for OOO

Amacher2772

During the OBMM installation process for OOO, I was given the option to install a patch called "OOO_Magic_Script_Effect_Fix" and I chose to include it. However I am a little confused on what it does or when should I turn it on in my load order. Does anyone know what this patch actually does and can tell me if I should use it or not?

The installation said to use it if I plan on using a mod that changes magic script effects, I should use the patch, but I am not sure what magic script effects changes would be or are for that matter.

The mods I plan on using which affect magic are as follows:

-Less Annoying Magic Experience

-Midas Magic

Should I use the "OOO_Magic_Script_Effect_Fix" with these mods?

Edited by Amacher2772

The OOO magic script effect fixer just blocks sound and visual effects from some third party mods -- those that change the MGEF entry. This is because OOO has some AOE scripted spell effects, and is meant to alleviate problems from other mods. It is included in a full installation, so you do not need the plugin unless a third party mod that causes above problems loads *after* OOO. So, you need to check if the mods you are using change the MGEF entry -- check with the author/s or readme/s.

Thanks for the help, that helps me make more sense of it now than before. I have not seen any changes like that so far but I will double check. If for some reason I would miss an MGEF entry and I didn't enable the OOO patch, would I notice something in game that would give me a clue or hint that the patch does need to be enabled? Like for ex. a spell might not have any sound when casted?

These things usually silence the Vanilla casting sound (and gfx actually, but you never hear of these) for spells of type 'Script Effect'.

Many mods with advanced scripting use such scripted spells for several different tasks.

Take my mods for example. I'm repeatedly spamming your surrounding with an AoE spell with a scripted effect, that checks the actors it hits for their race and their inventories and provides my so-called 'race control tokens' (invisible scripted items used to control custom bodyparts on a per-race basis) where they are missing. You can imagine having a casting sound or light effects occur every time this spell gets spammed is majorly inconvenient. This is the often reported 'repeated drumming noise', as such a drum noise is the spell sound by default, people experience and think it's something wrong with the scripts, while all they need is simply such a silencer.

The trouble is the effect of these things is very easily undone, by any later-loading plugin touching the records involved, and all of a sudden the annoying noise is back. That's why load order is paramount for these things. It's also worth mentioning that using more of them at once 'might' as well undo their effects, so a little caution if you aren't already using one by chance never hurts.

If I remember correctly, this has now even become an option in the bashed patch setup of Wrye Bash, should you be using one by now, so basically any such 'plugin' isn't really required anymore. However, as these things are very touchy like I said, everybody will find his or her own solution. There's many of them out there, shipping with other mods, included within other mods, stand-alone, and they all work fine in most occasions on their own.