Missing custom heads- what did I forget?

Splunge

Of course it did crash on load without the mod the race your player is of was coming from, as I take it you've been one of those "Eye Candy" custom races in the save that's crashing.

You actually confused us a lot with this Eye Candy thing, making people assume it's Exnem's Eye Candy "body" you're talking of while it is not.

The Eye Candy Compilation definitely is something entirely different, and this mod is where those Eye Candy custom races are coming from. It isn't a body mod and especially not Exnem's Female Eye Candy, as it specifically 'requires' that one per its description (though it says it's also compatible with HGEC, but it still requires one of both and doesn't include any). It cannot be replaced by HGEC either, as they're entirely different and unrelated topics, nor will the issue of missing files go away by doing so. The custom races are missing some of their resources, and that's what the issue is. No other mod than the one they're coming from can fix this.

Make sure you install this Eye Candy Compilation correctly, as the description is emphasizing on this point quite unusually often, talking of either downloading a 750MB resource file from the mirrors or following the install instructions to the letter. Missing to do both will result in exactly what you're now experiencing, the resource files, in this case the custom head meshes of the custom races, are missing. The same will be the case when the BSA, as they're mentioning it's shipped in this format, for some cause isn't loaded into the game.

I think it was here: http://oblivion.nexusmods.com/mods/26704 Hobb's Eye Candy Compilation. It apparently adds eye candy manequins, so I'm guessing that's what's making the races (?!?). I forgot I installed it.

If I scrap it (Eye candy mod and the EC Compilation) , any recommendations as to clothing changers to fit with HGEC?

edit: oops cross post. Didn't see yours, Drake, before psoting

Edited by Splunge

If I scrap it (Eye candy mod and the EC Compilation) , any recommendations as to clothing changers to fit with HGEC?

Literally 90% of all custom clothes and armors are designed for HGEC textures. You can't go five pages on this site without stumbling over HGEC clothing and armor.

I've used the old Wrye MAsh in Morrowind to fix save games when I changed the installed and active mods. Does Wrye Bash do the same for Oblivion? I'd like to avoid the crashes if I take out Eye Candy and add HGEC.

You should use Wrye Bash, yes. But Oblivion is far more stable when adding and removing mods than Morrowind was (or so I've been told).

Regardless, you still are not grasping the point. You don't have to remove the Eyecandy Compilation, if you want to use it, you just have to install HGEC. In fact, you should install EVE HGEC, which has a number of options for the body and includes a complete stock replacer for the vanilla clothing and armor.

Something else to keep in mind concerning multi-part archives is when you are extracting them you need to have them in a folder without any other unrelated archives (i.e. parts one thru six all in one folder but no other archives in that same folder).

With Wrye Bash you should be able to change your race to something Vanilla, so it won't crash anymore because the player's race is missing after you deactivated the plugin it's coming from. But I can't recall anymore how exactly it was done.

In the savegame that's crashing after deactivating the EyeCandy Compilation you were not using a race coming from it? Were you maybe using cosmetics, as in hairs, eyes, etc., coming from it instead?

Actually those should revert to something Vanilla when their mod gets deactivated either, but Oblivion can be almost as touchy as Skyrim sometimes, and because it did so for 1000s of users doesn't mean there's not a 1001st experiencing crashes instead.

Regarding this taking out 'Exnem's Female Eye Candy Body' and replacing it by HGEC, there shouldn't be any issues. Both are working on resource file basis only. Your savegames will not even notice the changes, only you will.

Removing this EyeCandy Compilation however is something entirely different. HGEC has nothing which could replace anything of it, so after uninstalling it things will be missing, and going by its description the loss will be massive.

Edited by DrakeTheDragon