Mod for Cover

SunWolf

• 3 weeks later...
cover? what is this cover thing you speak of? you mean that annoying thing that stops me from always getting a headshot from REALLY REALLY far away?

i really dont get why you would need cover in a game like this. Even the enemies with fullautomatic assault rifles only shoot in bursts so they dont deal that much damage very quickly. The only enemy i think you would need cover for are the supermutants with miniguns, but thats why they are the first thing players kill in a gunfight. plus you can heal youself up to full health instantly with your pip boy, so there is no reason to hide while you lick your wounds.

idk, maybe its because i usually play a rifle character and can take out the dangerous targets before they can get a shot off. A cover systems like GoW or M.E. would take a gigantic amount of work and knowledge and the payout would be so minimul IMHO.

Just my preference. For me, its way more immersive. I love to shoot at someone, than take an alternate vantage, peek out and see that the enemy is looking for where I went and bam dead. Its more realistic to me. I really liked Mass Effects cover, felt a whole lot less sticky than GOW. I think it should be an OPTION for every shooter game.

That said, I would very much be satisfied with a lean system. I will just play Oblivion with all the mods (never played but an hour or so) and wait on the mods to develop and evolve for fallout. As much as I prefer a shooter, I'd rather wait to play a better game.

Personally, I just wish I didn't constantly have to deal with my gun hitting the small walls I'm hiding behind. Apparently your character isn't smart enough to lift the gun higher into the air to clear the wall. This means I've gone into VATS and seen my character unload clips upon clips at someone, all of them hitting something like a sandbag or pipe that just happened the be in the way. I've also set up a series of VATS shots, and then immediately after that the enemy ran behind a wall. Apparently my character didn't notice, and continued to fire with excellent accuracy at the hidden enemy's head, doing absolutely no damage because of the CONCRETE WALL between us. VATs needs some sort of smart mode or checks to make sure your character doesn't act retarded. Ever had a guy doing melee with you and you try to VATs him, but your character puts the gun through his head or torso and fires? (Since the end of the barrel is on the other side of his torso, he won't get hit.) I'd like it if my character either A: backed up or B: pushed the enemy away slightly with a punch or a hit with the butt of the gun. I'd also like it if VATs commands were discarded if the target moves behind 100% cover.

What he/she said.

Aiming in VATS really sucks especially if the target is partly covered or you try to keep yourself halfway coverded. It getting pretty annoying when my char wastes ammo on some small obstacels (e.g. street lights, cables, small trees, whatever) just 'cuz they cover the center of the aimed body part or he's to leazy to lift da frickin gun a few mm.

When this little prob is corrected then some leaning to the side would be neat.

• 8 months later...
Lean and prone keys would make a lot more sense to me. Personally, I always found the "sticky" cover spot thing kindof annoying. I prefer to be able to move freely.

HELL YEAH! I think with some animation tinkering and FOSE this would TOTALLY be possible. It is definitely easier to replace a few key than redo the game mechanics... I do wish if there is a Fallout 4, there should be a Destruction Engine and Dual Weapon System Instituted and Modding becomes much more OPEN, you know less hardcode. So I can aim at the eyeballs. ^__^ Make the Actors much more realistic. OH! And a better physics engine.

You would have to add some kind of activator to the objects of cover. Because the AI see certain objects as being able to use cover and certain objects as not. FOSE sounds viable along with new animations. It is possible, just will take some thought and work to implement.