Salt mines and salt "veins"

noobax

Yup, that's why I figured it'd be illegal. We don't want to encourage piracy in any form, after all.

However, you might be able to use code that is present in all the games that governs that and so won't make Hearthfire necessary.

The stone quarry uses the exact same script as the ore veins. The ore veins use the default script values. The stone quarry and clay pits assign new values via the properties. You would need to do the same with regards to salt. Adjust the property value to be what you want.

ResourceCount is the number received per use -- 1 by default; quarry and clay set to 4

ResourceCountTotal is the number of uses per activation -- 3 by default; quarry and clay set to 1000 (makes it near infinite but possible to clear out)

In theroy you can take any mesh and assign it to an activator and apply the script. So you could copy any rock mesh, bleach the texture as it were, assign it to a new activator and apply the MineOreScript. Just make sure that you assign (via properties) the ResourceCountTotal to be something other than 3. Unless that is you want it to be affected by my Random Mining mod.

Ore veins use cubemaps to give it that change in color between the ability to be mined or not. Something more akin to the stone quarry with a large amount of potential resources would be better in that you would not need to account for the graphics in the mined and mined out states.

Yes, that's exactly what I was getting at. Thanks Ishara!

My advice would be to make a new cave interior cell that could act as a salt mine similar to a real world salt mine. That would also cut down on the interference with other mods since it would be a separate cell and not added to the open world.

Thanks for the info, Ishara. That makes things a lot easier.

I've never done any cell editing before, but I'm sure I can learn. I still kinda like how the stone quarry looks, but a regular rock would suffice for a non-HF version. It's probably also possible to embed an activator in the wall to make it look like you're mining from the wall, but then you wouldn't be able to tell if you can mine there until you're close enough and the crosshair is over the activator.

I've been thinking of a salt mine for ages so hopefully this gets made. More salt for cooking in Skyrim please. It would be interesting to have a salt mine under Imperial control, you wouldn't even have to mine it you could always have the mine protected by troops and a vendor who sells salt piles to visitors. The reason I suggest Imperial control is that historically the Romans paid their soldiers in salt and the Imperials are very Roman (sort of). :)

I actually already have plans to add a large, Imperial-controlled salt mine near Solitude for that very reason. Salt doesn't have the same value in Skyrim as it did during the time of the Romans, but I imagine that it would still be an important export. I was also going to add a vendor of sorts that will sell you salt in bulk for a little less than it would cost to buy the same amount from a regular vendor. It would be kinda like how mill owners will sell you as many sets of 20 logs as you can want in Hearthfire. Of course, that won't be until after I make a smaller mine, but it is planned.

Also, I do have some progress to report. I slapped together some temporary textures in Photoshop and started editing some nifs. Eventually, I'd like to refine the textures and maybe even give them a reddish tone like Himalayan salt. I decided to use the ice cave resources as a base since it does have a crystalline look. I looked up some tutorials on making dungeons, and it's really not hard at all except for the controls in the render window being a little weird. I think I'll have something to show you guys on friday since tomorrow is the last day of class for me this quarter.

@IsharaMeradin

Thanks for the offer, I might have to take you up on that since I'm still kind of a noob when it comes to scripting.

@EmuXanadu

Thanks, but I've got it covered.

@billyro

I don't think I would want to eat that. XD

Also, I haven't been able to get much done today. I'm having a couple of issues with CK including the render window not showing anything. Until I can get the render window working again, I can't make much progress. I'll keep looking for a solution.