Derok

How do you guys feel about the recent Workshop announcement, to monetize mods?

Honestly? I think it was a badly implemented decision, but also that the community outcry in response to it was unnecessarily overblown and hostile. I am all for mod-makers asking for (preferably optional) compensation but I don't think any mod maker should consider using the monetization on the Steam Workshop until Valve reevaluates things and changes some of the stupider things about it.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel it's a bad move, I can see people charging ridiculously prices for mods that are of low-quality and maybe even stolen. Even the wonderful mods like Chesko's Frostfall, I would not pay to download. I do not have spare money at all and to suddenly being forced to pay for mod that was once free, will turn off a lot of players.

I honestly never liked workshop much in the first place when it comes to Skyrim mods its really non-functional and awkward to use. As for monetizing mods itself I don't care nor do I think much will actually change. If something happens(stolen,broken mods or outrageous prices and mods that used to be free now costing money) itll be dealt with one way or another. I don't think Steam is stupid enough to do this without some sort of plan(whether said plan is a good one is debatable) afterall you cannot as a company not have a plan for this. I am gonna wait and see what happens and hope everything turns out well but I feel optimistic.

Drohung, buddy. Where do you fall on the monetizeing of mods? I for one have decided to raise the black flag in protest. I shall continue to support my buddies and modders who wish to stick to nexus.

I am completely furious at Steam for ruining the good face of modding.

Especially since mod piracy is now a f***ing thing, which it NEVER should have been.

I for one will NEVER pay for my mods, or force anyone to pay for my work. I'm all for modders getting money for their work, but this has caused a lot of damage.

Payments should be optional, not forced! Like endorsing here, that works very well!

Nexus is my ONLY posting place now, and Steam has been disabled on my computer.

Edited by Drohung

No, nooo, NOOOOO! Valve what the hell are you doing! Modding is an hobby, a good way to improve your skills and add something for both you and the user downloading it, many included me are dreaming of making something on their own, just like the Faalskar guy was hired by Bethesda itself. It must not be a job.

To not talk about the obvious copyright problems the Workshop has!

Also we are talking about microtransations, one of the worst sins in video games history.

With all the bs going on with YouTube and the copyright strikes on reviewers and let's players, I would think that people wouldn't be allowed to ask for money for game mods unless the mods were authorized directly by the company. I think I read that they are okay with people modding the game, but they are a company and I can't imagine that they wouldn't want extra money, and at least demand a share. What's next? Having to watch ads to download a mod? Maybe I'm being paranoid.

I'm glad, Drohung you won't br forcing users to pay for your mods . Epsically with what can go wrong. It seems my fear came true, chesko will make people pay for his mods. I believe the older versions will be free, but the new ones will be " pay as you want" which i suppose is okay, i just hope there is a. 0.00$ optioon, for ppl who CANNOT AFFORD to pay for some mod. I shoyldn't be forced to pay for somethinng that was free before handd.