Derok

There is definitely much higher probability of stolen mods. I still don't understand why anybody bothered stealing mods and posted them on crappy workshop before, now when money are involved I understand perfectly, I'm only afraid that mods on Workshop could be possibly considered to be more legal by Workshop since they are getting money from them. but maybe the control over what is stolen will improve with this? Anything can happen, but I still want to use this mod so don't be afraid, I promise you I won't steal it. (Lets pretend you don't see my fingers crossed behind my back) ;)

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You misunderstood, the workshop has really poor control on copyrighted material or mods of other users, so we are scared this mod we put so much work into could get stolen and sold.

Indeed the workshop has always had a lot of stolen mods on it the new problem is that people can make money off of stolen mods. Which is bad.

Precisely.

No one should be made to pay for a mod that the developer(s) want to be free.

UBR is a strictly free, donations-only mod, and I will never make it a paid mod.

I've got a few solutions to the copyright issue, so I shall try them on Wednesday when my classes are over.

Also to further minimize the theft risk, putting the free mod on Steam Workshop yourself would probably be best in the long run.

And admit defeat?

De-feet.

Ha. Haha. Hahaha.

Ironic puns are fun puns. Very pun funs.

Also, f*#@ Steam. If I HAVE to upload it there, I will, but once again, f*#@ Steam.

Steam says that once something is up on the Workshop, via their new rules, they don't have to take it down. They own the file. I'm not letting those cheeky jerks 'own' UBR, after all the love and difficulty UBR had in coming out.

BTW, classes end THIS WEEK, and I got my CK working! UBR will be ready! Get yourselves prepped, Beta Testers!

If I hadn't used STEAM to purchase several games before this debacle I'd delete it from my PC, sadly that would mean having to pay outrageous amounts of money to replace some of them. My "Legendary" copy of Skyrim for example, was bought on STEAM as I couldn't find it for sale anywhere in Seattle, and online prices were absurd, so I was left with only 1 option.. STEAM. My copies of Blood Bowl "Legendary", DBZ Xenoverse, FFVII, DoW2 Retribution (Only playable on STEAM as the Developer foolishly teamed with STEAM for the hard copy).

Though I might see If I can buy these another way again, as much as I'd hate to, because STEAM doesn't support anything higher than like Win 7/Vista and I use 8.1 so it takes 30-50 tries to log in to get it to connect to the internet.

If I hadn't used STEAM to purchase several games before this debacle I'd delete it from my PC, sadly that would mean having to pay outrageous amounts of money to replace some of them. My "Legendary" copy of Skyrim for example, was bought on STEAM as I couldn't find it for sale anywhere in Seattle, and online prices were absurd, so I was left with only 1 option.. STEAM. My copies of Blood Bowl "Legendary", DBZ Xenoverse, FFVII, DoW2 Retribution (Only playable on STEAM as the Developer foolishly teamed with STEAM for the hard copy).

Though I might see If I can buy these another way again, as much as I'd hate to, because STEAM doesn't support anything higher than like Win 7/Vista and I use 8.1 so it takes 30-50 tries to log in to get it to connect to the internet.

Don't bother. Skyrim is one of those "Steam-exclusive" games. Even if you bought a DVD with a physical copy through other legal means, you'll still have to 'activate' your game once through Steam before you can play it. (There's a Steam key on the back of every package that can be bought for a reason.)

But do not mix up the DRM part where you 'buy games' through Steam with this *ahem* not-so-thoroughly thought out thing they call the Workshop. You do not need to use the Workshop for your mods, but there's no 'legal' way around Steam for the game itself.

I hear you all about this whole mod theft debacle re-introduced with the recent events... but give it some time to let the dust settle and wait for what Valve will be coming up with to cover the valid concerns brought up towards them. I won't say I'm in high hopes, but they 'did' listen and improve 'some' things in the past already, and what they have created right now is a legal nightmare. They can't leave it like this without at least 'trying' to improve the copyright infractions element of it. They'd be just asking to get sued otherwise, and their 'competitors', which assets are stolen from and sold without staff intervention, are waiting with their lawyers counting numbers all the while you can bet.

Cannot help but think there are gonna be some very rich lawyers very soon.

I hear you all about this whole mod theft debacle re-introduced with the recent events... but give it some time to let the dust settle and wait for what Valve will be coming up with to cover the valid concerns brought up towards them. I won't say I'm in high hopes, but they 'did' listen and improve 'some' things in the past already, and what they have created right now is a legal nightmare. They can't leave it like this without at least 'trying' to improve the copyright infractions element of it. They'd be just asking to get sued otherwise, and their 'competitors', which assets are stolen from and sold without staff intervention, are waiting with their lawyers counting numbers all the while you can bet.

Id sue them if I was of age to do so In my country. This is stupid and untenable. Steam has really screwed up this time.