i am upset and completely lost here...

Domino44G

No but you do for any walking animations that I would have recommended last so his person doesn't stand and walk in the vanilla way that pretty much ruins all the BBB stuff.

As far as I know there are no animation replacers that require OBSE.

Some larger scale animmation mods might, but to just change the default animations for BBB compatibility definitely does not require OBSE.

Perhaps I remembered incorrectly about the OBSE (though why you wouldn't want it IDK) but I was still attempting to help him go through the process of getting HGEC and textures and the skeleton and BBB all set up one small step at a time. As his original post indicated he didn't understand anything about it I wished to take things from the very beginning. As such the OBSE issue is really not that important as it would have hurt nothing having it.

I remember when I first came to this place and it took me 3 weeks to figure out where my data folder was. I never had a PC game modded before and knew NOTHING about file structure or mods or anything. People here often assume a basic level of knowledge when explaining things that many people do not have. To tell them they need this and skeletons and just get this....well sometimes they don't understand that. Then they download it, they don't have a mod manager correctly installed or don't know how to manually install (again I refer to my own lack of understanding) and it becomes overwhelming. Some folks don't even know they may need to un-zip a folder to install a mod. I urged him to have a clean install including the Oblivion folder in the documents as that is a reason for many crashes of Oblivion after a reinstall.

However he indicated he didn't want my help.

I bow to your superior knowledge. Go for it.

and you never reached the end of your rope? I had to walk away from this site / computer / mods because I had been at it for hours in something I do not understand. I never told you I didn't want your help. I said I saw no reason to continue. You speak as if I said "piss off" which I clearly didn't. Why are you taking it so personally? I didn't insult you. Your stuff works. I'm the one out of luck. Why did I walk away yesterday? I told you that each time I tried to download / get a mod to work there was always something else. Another file / filter / Mod / this that the other. So you tell me in a very polite and understanding way to get the correct mod. I did. you said that the Nexus program was not the one to use and to get the TESinstaller ( or whatever its called) that's when things turned silly again. have you seen how many version are there. Don't install one until the other is installed. I did what it said BUT it didn't work. I was at the end of my rope when you posted to this thread. got it. I was already there. I can't see how you would have not noticed this in my opening rant. So, your advice put me back into the same old "here we go again" situation and I was finished trying. So, I'll ask you simply, counting from the top download on that page to the bottom most, which installer do I need? How should I install it? And most importantly, are there any instruction for us Non-rocket scientists. Speak to me as if I was not capable of placing one foot in front of another. I won't be offended by this because, when it comes to this stuff, I can't put one foot in front of another. However, if you're so offended by my departure yesterday, then No further assistance will be asked of you. By the way, when I say App I am not using it in the cell phone manner but in it's actual use "application".

Edited by Domino44G

"Why the hell are you so upset, anyway?" Pots, kettles...anyway, perhaps more important than know-how if you're going to install mods, any mods, is patience and a good attitude (not saying anyone involved here lacks either), and the first thing to understand is that it's going to take a lot of reading to get what you want done. Even things that use automated .exe-installers will probably need you to read a lot, and if you really want BBB for a character you're probably mostly just going to see the backside of most of the time anyway, I suggest you take a deep breath before you do anything else. Then, you get the Oblivion Mod Manager (OBMM), (http://oblivion.nexusmods.com/mods/2097, there, I even linked to it for you) and you make sure to actually read the entire "Description" page. For this one, you're lucky, it's a short one, doesn't matter, you read all of it anyway, no matter how long it is, at least until you feel like you know what's worth knowing and what isn't super-essential knowledge). There are other mod managers, but go with this one for now. When you're done reading that, you again read everything that seems like it might have even the tiniest relevance on the downloads tab. Ultimately, you'll figure out what you want, not because I'm a douchebag who assumes you know as much as the rest of us (which, in my case, isn't a lot) I'll give you another freebie: it's the "full installer" version (this is likely to be one of those things that feel incredibly obvious when you read it.) You read all the on-screen instructions, and soon you'll have a fully functional mod manager excellently suited to beginners, most of the functions of which you can actually ignore.

Did that seem like a needlessly arduous process for something pointless, small and trivial? If not, keep doing it with at first simpler and then more and more advanced mods until it does. Congratulations, you may just have learned the first lesson of enjoying mods, perhaps at least as much an art as making them. If you expect everything to be handed to you on a silver platter where you click a button or two and then enjoy a flawless game, then I honestly encourage you to leave, because modding isn't easy. It wasn't easy to any of us at first, and if it seems like it is, then it's because we have experience, something we've built up, not uncommonly on a pile of ruined savegames and crushed expectations. If you read a lot, and have a lot of patience, and the right attitude, you might eventually have enough know-how to find modding a relatively easy process. If not, there's nothing for you to gain here, I'm afraid.

Skeletons and animations in particular are something I find involve a lot of trouble getting to work, which is one reason I don't really use them personally. They're also nothing a beginner should fiddle with, unless they're willing to read a lot and fail over and over to make it work. I realise that the community might seem unhelpful or condescending at first, but there's a very simple reason for that - we all know our basics, and those who didn't bother learning those basics ended up leaving like you might want to. The community does its best to help, but (and if the next part sounds callous, cynical, selfish and denigrating, that's a good indicator of whether your attitude is the one needed for mods or not) if you're not willing to learn, don't bother with mods.

Now, all the more senior members may feel free to debase everything I just said on a philosophical, psychological, or technical plane. I just hope I managed to make a potential modder realise what modding requires from its participants.

Brave guy, you are. Thanks for the link but the rest you can shove. Daz, Renderosity have Zip and Exe file that put things where they belong. Whether rewriting or replacing or merging runtimes, they end up in the proper place. Why the huge over-complication here? It's not as if your rewriting the base code of the game.

And to senior members, don't bother saying anything, Mr. Nightmare has shown me exactly what to expect. Strike879, thanks for your invite but this whole thing is not worth it when assholes like Mr nightmare decide to create trouble when it was starting to settle down. I was just wondering why Lsnpuppy was getting upset when I never once abused or insulted him and TheNiceNightmare doesn't realize that or he just wanted to tear in and argue. I apparently won't get assistance now without insult so, goodbye.

Last time I checked we don't have 'seniority' here. I like to think we have a team (and I always find I learn more from a newcomer than an 'old-timer' ... but don't fret Hickory because I wouldn't toss you with the trash for a million of anything).

I do not in any way want to depreciate Lisnpuppy's advice on using TesModManager ... I am just unfamiliar with it and so can't add any advice on installing or using it. I have some experience with Oblivion Mod Manager which TheNiceNightmare linked above. Here is a copy of some instructions I recently PMed another user that may help if you decide to give OBMM a try (also some step by steps you may not need for finding the downloads, included for completeness):

What I suggest is click where it says 'download manually' or on the name of the download (e.g. on the words 'HGEC Body v1dot21'). To see that you'll need to switch to the 'Files' tab (located directly below where it says 'Endorsements' and 'Actions' when you're looking at the mod description page).

That will bring up a Windows dialogue to save the file to your hard drive (after you select the server to download from ... pick one close to where you live). I have a folder I created called 'OblivionDownloads'. In the save dialogue I switch to that folder and then create another new folder that's named for each mod I download. This one is saved in 'OblivionDownloads\HGEC_Body_Ver1dot21' (there's a button you can click that will create a new sub-folder in the current folder, which starts out named 'New Folder' ... just type in your new name and hit Enter).
Oblivion Mod Manager has two download options for you (the other two are for developers and people who have an older version installed). If you download 'obmm_1_1_12 full installer' and save to your hard drive as suggested above you will have a file named 'obmm_1_1_12_full_installer-2097.zip'. When you extract that file you will get a file named 'obmm_setup.exe' (ZIP files open by default with Window's own utility if you are using either Windows 7 or Vista ... for Windows XP you will need a program to extract it). Double click that file and it will walk you through installing OBMM.
If you download 'obmm_1_1_12 full manual' you'll have a file named 'obmm_1_1_12_full_manual-2097.7z'. You use the free utility 7-Zip to extract 7z files. Make sure you download either the 32 bit version or 64 bit version, whichever matches the operating system you use. Both downloads are ZIP files. The 32 bit version extracts to three files ... the one you want is '7zip920-x86.exe' (again double click and it will walk you through the install). The 64 bit version download will extract to three files, the one you want is named '7zip920-x64.msi'. Again double click and it should walk you through the install (I don't have any 64 bit operating systems on any of my machines myself).
Once you have 7-Zip installed all you need to do is double click on the downloaded file 'obmm_1_1_12_full_manual-2097.7z' and then click the 'Extract' button. That will extract to three files and one folder ('IronMath.dll', 'IronPython.dll' and 'OblivionModManager.exe' alond with a folder named 'obmm'). The three files and one folder all go in your game's 'Oblivion' folder (not the 'Data' folder).
The first time you run OBMM by double clicking 'OblivionModManager.exe' it will create some other folders in your 'Oblivion' folder. Any file you download that is already a pre-made OMOD (like the EVE version of HGEC I linked above has at the top of it's files list on it's download page) all you need to do is copy the downloaded OMOD into the folder 'Oblivion\obmm\mods' and then run OBMM. The mod will show up on the right hand pane of OBMM with a green box next to it. Double click on the mod and OBMM will activate the mod and if it has any scripts included it will run the scripts. EVE has an install script that will walk you through all of the various options.
I suggest you use NMM for mods that don't come as a pre-made OMOD, and when you find one that NMM won't install use the install instructions on the mod page. Usually if you read the mod description install instructions you'll get a good idea of how likely it is that NMM will work. If it has a lot of instructions for picking through the different options you'll probably find that NMM won't work. If it has instructions that say just copy the extracted files to your 'Data' folder or extract directly to your 'Data' folder then NMM will probably work fine.
Just remember, if you're not going to install with NMM don't click on the 'Download with Manager' button.
The 'EVE' that I mentioned in that post is EVE HGEC Eyecandy Variants Expansion, which may make for a useful first mod to install after getting OBMM installed and set up. The OMOD version I suggest comes with everything you need to get started and has options you can get later to add further things like BBB.

By "senior members", Striker, all I meant was people with more experience than myself, who probably would have very good ideas for explaining just how wrong I was on whatever I said. :P

"Brave guy, you are. Thanks for the link but the rest you can shove." well...I think we all see where this is going, if not already then certainly by now. Thinking that I was arguing for the sake of arguing, more so. I'm done! (This is the part where we have an on-going battle to have the last word even though we both claim to be done, and even though the topic is exhausted, right?)

I din't say argue for the sake of arguing. I said tear in and argue. Probably because you guys know each other and I'm this crazy-ass stranger. But when I said speak to me simply I didn't mean speak to me as if i were an idiot. I can read and did what the instructions said but kept getting errors or worse, nothing at all would happen as if the buttons didn't work. So your sarcasm was why I said "brave guy" don't act as if you were nicely helping, However, your post was kind of funny. If I weren't on the receiving end of it, I would have probably been laughing. No, no battle from me and no last word ( well not in the sense you were implying ). just that I understand your ripping at me and I deserved a bit of that but I really was wondering why Lsnpuppy was taking it so personal or at least speaking as if I had abused him. So, don't sweat my blathering and thanks for the link. Thanks to you too striker879 for the Instruction and link.

But please what does it mean "don't sweat hickory"? :)

Sorry I was a bit late seeing the question. Hickory would be my 'senior' in quite a few ways if we had seniority here (I think I'd probably only truly have seniority in the age category). If you frequent these forums long enough you'll see that Hickory sees the root of the problem more quickly than most. Though many may think I lurk around here to help others in actual fact I lurk to help myself. I only learn by making mistakes, and on here I don't have to be the one making the 'mistakes' ... you all let me 'borrow' your's. I have come to appreciate Hickory's keen eye on problems that leave me scratching my head (and sometimes I'm guilty of using a thread like your's to give him a nod ... kinda' like this ... the Andy Stewart link made my morning Hickory, thanks).

Anyway, back on topic I really meant what I said about this being a team sport. Sometimes feathers may get ruffled, but I saw the same situation back when I worked and different guys had an idea about what the problem was (I worked operations in a petrochemical plant). Given enough time and the proper opportunity to feel their voice was heard most people can get back to focusing on the problem and finding a solution. Lisnpuppy has a lot of other duties as a site moderator but brings a wider perspective (for example the TesModManager that I hadn't even heard of until now ... probably because I'm only active on the Oblivion site). TheNiceNightmare has more recently become active 'working' here, but that doesn't make his/her contributions worth less. Many hands make lighter work, and the more eyes on the problem the better the chances of success ... at least in my book.

If you decide to try the TesModManager method it would make a good learning opportunity for me, whether I 'ride-along' with you and Lisnpuppy or dive in myself and get my hands a bit dirty (the second option would come with the caveat that I would be learning at the same time I'm trying to help, so Lisnpuppy would probably still be in the mix).