Questions about my horse . . .

ruvuk

Hi.

I really like having a horse in Skyrim, but I've got some questions . . . I'd appreciate a little basic info from anybody who likes to travel mounted . . .

(1)

Can a player fight at all when mounted? So far, I've always had to dismount. Even with a weapon drawn, I still have to dismount.

(2)

Can a horse be hurt during the routine attacks of wolves and bandits and such? I've always dismounted and left my horse behind, so he's OK, and I think we'll be OK with spiders and trolls and spriggans and such, . . . but I'm wondering how careful I'll need to be about his safety if I'm attacked by something much bigger/stronger.

(3)

Can I use the Healing spell on my horse if, in fact, he gets hurt?

(4)

Fast Travel--sometimes my horse comes with me, other times not . . . Whether or not I'm mounted doesn't seem to be the key . . . I even make a point of riding my horse a short distance b4 trying to fast travel with him . . . sometimmes it works, other times not . . . I'd sure like to know how this works.

Thank you very much.

1. Yes, the player can fight on a horse. Initially it was impossible to do so, but a patch added it in. The horse fighting is really bad though, imo.

2. Yeah, if enough bandits/wolves attack the horse at once, it will die. I'm pretty sure there is only one vanilla horse that can't die, and you need to join the DB for that.

3. Yes, healing spells will work.

4. I think if you travel to a city, the horse is placed in the stable. Any other location, and the horse is right next to you. If you're having problems with your horse actually teleporting with you, then it's probably some game glitch, or a mod glitch.

Hope I helped. :)

billyro pretty much summed it down, but

1. Yes, the player can fight on a horse. Initially it was impossible to do so, but a patch added it in. The horse fighting is really bad though, imo.

2. Yeah, if enough bandits/wolves attack the horse at once, it will die. I'm pretty sure there is only one vanilla horse that can't die, and you need to join the DB for that.

3. Yes, healing spells will work.

4. I think if you travel to a city, the horse is placed in the stable. Any other location, and the horse is right next to you. If you're having problems with your horse actually teleporting with you, then it's probably some game glitch, or a mod glitch.

Hope I helped. :smile:

I have a question of my own, is there a way to stop your horse from from following you everywhere.

@billyro: Thanks a lot. Now that you've explained some of this stuff, I'm guessing that my horse may have been stabled when I fast-travelled to a city. (I liked leaving my horse in the courtyard at the College--he'd stay there waiting for me just fine. But I never tried fast-travelling from, say, one of the outer College balconies w/o my horse, so I don't know if he'd have wound up in the city where I was going or not.)

Anyway, . . . yes, I know that the horses can be killed by the wolves . . . I got sloppy and got my horse killed, which was grim . . . It may have been my fault: After I clicked [E] to dismount, I clicked [R] to ready my weapon, and my horse raced into the thick of things. It looked like I'd sent him in to help. So . . . after I dismount, do I need to walk a few steps to get out of the hotkeys related to my horse??

I'm pretty bummed about getting my horse killed. As it happens, I can't keep a companion, either. I *always* get them killed. After backing up in the game twice to get Lydia back from the dead, I took her back to the Jarl's Palace and left her in the Hall. (She's been eating every time I've been back, but she always looks fit and ready to go! <lol>)

I'll get a horse again later when I can get one who won't die (or maybe one who could share my Health or something like that?) . . . I really liked my horse--he was so sturdy-looking that I think he was actually a pony (like a Shetland Pony is a pony and not a horse, not a juvenile horse) . . . It'd be great if somebody did a mod that would let us pick the coat colors and lengths . . . and name . . . :o) . . .

Again, thanks for the good info; I've copied it for when I'll need it later.

@griffin: I, too, would be interesting in knowing if I could, say, leave my horse in a paddock by my house when I don't think it's safe for him to travel with me . . . If you find out, I'd appreciate your posting the info here for me (and I'll do the same). . . thanks! . . . :o) . . .

Thanks for the info and the link! :o) Some of the player pix sent by players for the Convenient horse mod were pretty great--It will be such a lot of fun when I get up to speed . . . <lol> . . . I spent most of my playing time today out in a field practicing with a new 2-handed sword . . . Really need to learn better control b4 i think about getting anybody to travel with me, and that includes horses . . . When I started playing, I saw a zillion possibilities . . . My best guess as to how to deal with it all was to pick a few things to learn and put all of my "resources" into those things . . . Now, for better or worse, I'm strong with the 2-handed weapons, heavy armor, and smithing, and that's pretty much it . . . I make good money now selling the things I make at the forge, and I use that money mostly for potions and enchanted pieces to help me "cover" all the areas where I'm weak. I don't have the option to fight much at a distance--I go in fast swinging hard at pretty much anything that moves (or glows or growls or what-ever! <lol> . . . No complaints at all! . . . But . . . you know how the 2-handed weapons are really BIG and have LONG handles? . . . Since I'm strongest in the sweeps (all directions), that's what I mostly do . . . but it makes for a huge circle of destruction . . . friends, allies, innocent by-standers, horses, and small houses all really need to get away! <lol> (I've been to jail a couple of times, and it's always for killing some villagers who got too close to me and the dragon or the magician or the vampire or whatever it is that needs killing! <lol> One time--the worst time--I think I took out about half of the population of Morthal while fighting with a dragon; I wanted SO bad to ask how they could be so darn sure that it was *me* and not the huge fire-breathing dragon who killed 'em all . . . <lol> . . . I'm a mess! . . . so better if I go it alone 'til I learn some things . . . :o) . . . But it'll be great to have horses one day! (I'm sorely tempted to try a horse that can't be killed!)

dzek

A more detailed reason for why your horse might not appear in the city when you fast-travel, whilst it does at other times, might depend on what city you travel to. In the Major Holds - Solitude, Markarth, Whiterun, Windhelm and Riften, your horse can be found in the stable, as horses aren't allowed to pass through gates. Whereas in the Minor Holds - Morthal, Falkreath, Dawnstar and Winterhold are outside cities with no real gates.

In a way the Major Holds are treated more as open dungeons, dragons can attack you, followers can follow you in to it, but horses cannot, like in many dungeons.

My Horse is Amazing....

...sorry, couldn't resist.

Convenient Horses is so good that I couldn't imagine playing Skyrim without it. It really removes a lot of the annoyance associated with horses in Skyrim, and adds all kinds of awesome features like horse armor, horse calling and setting your horse as essential. It also integrates with mods like Ultimate Follower Overhaul... which I also wouldn't play Skyrim without.

Edited by Sayne

I found Oblivious Horses to be useful, but that's only because I don't like being inundated with tons of options in-game to configure a mod. I want simple mods that work without tweaking. I did find one DLC added horse that solves all my worries without needing a mod, Arrvak or something like that.