Can't run at anything other than default resolution. What's ov

acksed

New installation of New Vegas Ultimate in Windows 7 64-bit after being away from Windows in Linuxland and using an XBox to play NV. Old but still good 4:3 monitor that runs at 1280x1024. Brand-new AMD A10-5700 with 8GB RAM, so it's got enough power.

I installed NV in Program Files (x86). I then installed the NMM, but it said it couldn't find a fallout.ini as I hadn't run the game. That was odd, but I shrugged and went on to start the game. It auto-set the quality to Ultra Fine. I set the resolution in the loader (and from then on loads up with the value already set at 1280x1024, indicating that it's been set somewhere).

However, after that it refuses to run at anything other than 800x600, no matter what I do. Even after all the solutions I found on here, r/fallout and the wider internet:

Started the loader as administrator and changed the settings there. That just made me start a new game in Admin account - at the default resolution;

Downloaded Configator (which couldn't find the first two .ini files, so I pointed them towards ones in my home directory);

Edited iSize in the FalloutPrefs.ini files in my own and Admin accounts (couldn't find iSize inside Fallout_default.ini);

Added Write and Modify permissions for Users to Fallout_default.ini

What am I missing? I'd really rather not reinstall NV, as that was beyond tedious. Plus, it's better I learn how to fix it now as opposed to when I have 50 different mods.

Edited by acksed

You should not be changing the Fallout_default.ini but the .ini that is located in your My Games folder. This is the same location where your Saves are located. This is the one the game uses at launch.

You should not be changing the Fallout_default.ini but the .ini that is located in your My Games folder. This is the same location where your Saves are located. This is the one the game uses at launch.

In the end all I changed on that were the permissions. I have checked that one and it contains the correct settings.

C:\Users\[my username]\Documents\My Games\FalloutNV\FalloutPrefs.ini right now contains:

iSize W=1280

iSize H=1024

Yet it continues to load up in glorious wrong-o-vision. As I said, I don't know what the hell's going on. :blink: Edited by acksed

FNV uses three different inis, and which one it actually pulls the settings from is a crapshoot depending on how you launch the game and what kind of mood steam is in.

In My Games\FalloutNV you need to edit Fallout.ini and FalloutPrefs.ini, and in SteamApps\Common\Fallout New Vegas\ you need to edit fallout_default.ini. More importantly, the default launcher WILL override changes to all three if it doesn't like them, so every time you launch the default launcher (FalloutNVLauncher.exe), you will probably need to re-edit those ini files.

FNV uses three different inis, and which one it actually pulls the settings from is a crapshoot depending on how you launch the game and what kind of mood steam is in.

In My Games\FalloutNV you need to edit Fallout.ini and FalloutPrefs.ini, and in SteamApps\Common\Fallout New Vegas\ you need to edit fallout_default.ini. More importantly, the default launcher WILL override changes to all three if it doesn't like them, so every time you launch the default launcher (FalloutNVLauncher.exe), you will probably need to re-edit those ini files.

I'm not using Steam. Like I said, when I check the settings in the launcher, they're already set correctly, indicating that it's reading it. Then it seems to discard those settings and drive straight into walls. I can't find any mention of iSize in My Games\FalloutNV\Fallout.ini, where do I add it?

Will load up without launcher and report back.

EDIT: Nope, still seems to be the same resolution.

Edited by acksed

Bought a secondhand PC copy of NV:U, saw it had Games For Windows Live, decided I didn't want that anywhere near my new PC, then used a hooky copy to run it instead. Sorry. :ohdear:

EDIT: I rechecked the label - Games For Windows is apparently different and not a hideous abomination. Okay...

EDIT 2: The loader does make changes to resolution stick in windowed mode - when I set it to 1280x960, the window's slightly off to the right, but it runs. IDEK

Edited by acksed

You're done for buddy, if you don't have Steam than your a PIRATE, that simple. See ya, wouldn't wanna be ya!

BTW I bet you need to set the INI's from read only to not in the properties section, not Windows permissions.

EDIT: Just to quote you here: "I'd really rather not reinstall NV, as that was beyond tedious" - Care to elaborate? Cos I have my theories lol. NV is not that hard to reinstall if you have the disc.