Where's my intro gone?

WhiteWolf424242

Hello,

A few days back I discovered a neat intro video replacer (namely this one https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/52683 ), and I installed it right away.

But jumping into the game, I had to realize - oh my, in fact I had not seen the intro video at all for quite some time now! I mean I didn't even notice - and it's quite a convenience that I didn't have to click through the Bethesda logo anymore, but now that there's this replacer, I want to bring the video back :D

Problem is - I no longer remember at what point did it disappear! For starters I tried disabling all my mods that affect the main menu (background, music replacer, and the MainMenu mod for character filtering) - it did nothing, so the culprit is something else.

Does anyone know what could be disabling the intro video?

I tried manually adding the ini setting for

[General]
sIntroSequence=BGS_LOGO.BIK

in Skyrim.ini, but that also did nothing, still no intro.

Thanks for any ideas!

Edited by WhiteWolf424242

I don't use any profiling options - I just use Vortex to manage the deployed mods and enabled/disabled esps, and that's it. I'm editing the correct ini files - other changes are applied if I make them.

I'm hesitant about BethINI. Firstly I much prefer understanding what each thing does and then set it manually rather than rely on a magic button setting. Secondly, I have already fine-tuned my inis by hand (especially concerning multithreaded stuff), there are mod-specific recommendation edits, therefore I don't want my settings overwritten. Yeah, making a backup is no effort, okay... so I might give BethINI a try and see if it generates an ini that solves the intro... but I'm not very optimistic about the results.

The inis should be correct, I didn't make intro-concerned edits. As in the op, I tried adding the sIntroSequence key, it wasn't there before so it was at its default values, like all keys concerning the intro that are listed in the ini guide.

Therefore I'm more inclined to suspect that it's a mod. Is it possible for a rogue mod to "dynamically edit" the inis on startup and thus block the intro? Because if that's possible, then I can make all the ini edits I want, the culprit mod will just disable the intro on startup anyway. I have no clue about how to track down exactly which mod could cause this, if this is really the case. (By that I mean, if mods are indeed capable to do this).

Edited by WhiteWolf424242

Any mod can load an INI file and that particular value will take priority, unless another mod loads an INI file that changes the same value. You would be looking for files called ModName.ini in the game folder with the ESP and BSA files. Where ModName is replaced with the actual names of the mods in question.

Did you follow the installation instructions? From what I have read this makes no changes to your ini files merely replaces BGS_Logo.bik in Skyrim/Data/Video with its own BGS_Logo.bik file.

To uninstall merely replace that bik file with the back up of the original file.

Any mod can load an INI file and that particular value will take priority

I did not know that, thanks.

Okay, this is easy to check - I purged all my mods - and there's the intro! Cool. Deploy mods - intro gone. From this I conclude my main inis are fine, and it's indeed one of my mods that's disabling it. I guess I'm up for some hunting then :D

@wfandrews:

The problem did not come from installing the replacer - as I said in the original post, I haven't seen the original intro either, and for months now. I just didn't realize that it's missing up until now. Since everyone just clicks through the beth logo, I bet many people wouldn't recognize if it was suddenly gone :D But now that I want a replacer, of course I noticed that it's missing.