New Vegas Menu not loading

charwo

Last week, the ram bloat from my game getting awful so I save to close the game out and restart, this is common cause I'm running a lot of mods. The game bloats up to 100% CPU usage during the save, and I have to terminate the application. SInce then, the start-up menu will not appear, the background images do, and they rotate like they should, but no options to load the game or continue or anything. SInce then, I've done the following:

1. Taken all my saves out of the laptop

2. Tried only starting New Vegas Esm itself (so it's not missing a master)

3. Reinstalled all the NVUE parts

4. deleted all the ini files

NOTHING will make the menu options pop up so I can play the game. And my Fallout 3 files, which are if anything more modded are working fine and dandy. Other discords and stuff keep saying something has become corrupted but no one has any clue of what. So what do to get my New Vegas to run again?

In general, if you haven't changed anything about your game and it suddenly stops working correctly you need to look to other causes: such as software updates to Windows, programming libraries such as ".Net", or hardware drivers. Older games eventually get dropped from product testing. It is also possible you are having problems with your hard drive. It never hurts to run "chkdsk" and an anti-virus scan.

FYI: If you recently had a Windows system update, you only have 10 days to revert to the previous version if you decide to choose that option.

Run "Memtest" to determine if you have a failing RAM chip.

Once you are reasonably sure it isn't a hardware problem, run the "DXDiags" tool. Then run through the "Checklist" and the "Solutions to Starting the game problems" sections of the of the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" article.

-Dubious-

T

In general, if you haven't changed anything about your game and it suddenly stops working correctly you need to look to other causes: such as software updates to Windows, programming libraries such as ".Net", or hardware drivers. Older games eventually get dropped from product testing. It is also possible you are having problems with your hard drive. It never hurts to run "chkdsk" and an anti-virus scan.

FYI: If you recently had a Windows system update, you only have 10 days to revert to the previous version if you decide to choose that option.

Run "Memtest" to determine if you have a failing RAM chip.

Once you are reasonably sure it isn't a hardware problem, run the "DXDiags" tool. Then run through the "Checklist" and the "Solutions to Starting the game problems" sections of the of the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" article.

-Dubious-

Thing is, My Fallout 3 which is just as modded, works just fine. It loads, there are no problems. I don't think there's been any updates in the last week, and if it did it stands to reason it would effect Fallout 3 and a lot of other Fallout New Vegas users

Try renaming the game folder and then verifying the install through Steam or GOG, a brand new copy should be downloaded, see if that works, if it doesn't you can delete that game folder and rename the other one back again.

Try renaming the game folder and then verifying the install through Steam or GOG, a brand new copy should be downloaded, see if that works, if it doesn't you can delete that game folder and rename the other one back again.

Hey Thanks Jimbo That actually worked!

SO what do I do now? DO I further diagnose or nuke the old file from orbit?

It's a case of finding the offending file which might be like looking for a needle in a haystack, I would reinstall the mods one at a time checking between each install that the game is working correctly.

It's a case of finding the offending file which might be like looking for a needle in a haystack, I would reinstall the mods one at a time checking between each install that the game is working correctly.

In practice that means more or less nuke it from orbit but only AFTER using the old one as a crib for what to install. Or I could try to copy the Data folder and see what happens....

ANd that's probably a very very bad idea.

That's worth trying but if there is a bad file in there it's gonna come back, I've had the same thing happen and after a lot of messing about I came to the conclusion that it would take more time to fix than replace. What's worth doing once it is up and running is making a back up of the game folder so when it goes wrong again you can simply switch the back up in, doing that has saved me so many headaches over the years.