NMM bug fix release and download hacking problems fixed

Dark0ne

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #7659724.

Sorry for butting in here, but how are you able to know which linux software packages he is referring to and at what level of development they are at?

I understand about the beta testing and I am not here to defend those complaining about the NMM issues, but it might not hurt to repeat that message in the prompt that appears everytime I start NMM, which requests that I upgrade to the latest version.

"Thank you for beta testing NMM, please be aware that by upgrading to the latest version you may encounter bugs with the software because it is still in BETA! Please be ready for this and please report any bugs you find on the bug report forum! If you are not ready for this, please consider upgrading at a later time to help us improve the NMM for everyone."

Right there I have all the information I need to make an informed decision. Now, please understand that I mean this to be constructive criticism. I love all the work you guys do (for free!) to make the modding experience easy and fun for everyone. Immense respect for that.

However, if you want our help beta testing, then being a bit more upfront and obvious about the fact that each new version of NMM could very well have tons of issues would really help. Whether intentional or not, there are lots of people who pretty much depend on NMM and I'm not saying it's your responsibility to cater to them, but it would be nice if they had a somewhat stable version to fall back to. Perhaps an Alpha and a Beta version of NMM would be a good idea. At this stage of development, you should not be having blatant crashes and massive loss of functionality as has been reported and as I have experienced myself with the latest releases. In my experience, the only way this happens consistently is if preliminary sanity and regression testing was simply not done. Again, I am fine with that, but please make it more obvious.

I am a software developer and I would get fired if I released a new version of software without at least one previous stable version to revert to if things blow up in the new version. Again, I love the Nexus and I am very appreciative of the work you guys have done with the NMM - it is an awesome piece of software, so you have my respect regardless of whether you think my comments are worth implementing or not. :)

In response to post #7653202. #7653386, #7653470, #7653702, #7653807, #7654579, #7654588, #7656278, #7657258, #7657350, #7657597 are all replies on the same post.

@Cailynne ~ People use ad blockers because the companies that serve up ads and banners can't be trusted to keep their ads and banners malware-free. I mean, not too long ago, even the Nexus got flagged as a reported attack site because one of the ad companies fed them tainted banners.

In response to post #7659724. #7660110 is also a reply to the same post.

Are you saying the whole internet and super computer industry runs on alpha software?!

So many idiots on this website it is not even funny, no wonder the devs dont have the motivation to have a consistent release branching!

The trouble was within your words:

In response to post #7654654.

Even betas should be tested before releasing.

This process right there is called alpha testing, the tests you do before releasing a beta.

Don't get me wrong. I'm in no way intending to defend the NMM. In my eyes it was about the most horrible decision to make it the official one-stop mod-shop solution at the Nexus so early before it was even finished supporting all games and file structures, like the most basic features it 'must' have, or better yet should've had. Now everybody and their mother is crying for the mods to get adapted to a software which by design is still mostly incompatible to their very structure, and the authors have to pay the price.

I understand the idea of open beta testing and how much use it is to the devs to get all this feedback... but it was introduced into the site's structure and design as if it was a finished and error-free product, while it clearly isn't. Just imagine how much of this nonsense whining you devs could've saved yourselves, if you hadn't introduced it 'that' much full-scale everywhere so extremely prematurely.

But as things are as they are, you all agreed to volunteer in using a test-release version of an unfinished product. Now stop bitching about it like you weren't ever warned each time your started it and limit yourselves to productive feedback.

I'm working in software development myself as well (my, how many software developers are we here, anyways?) and I would also be 'so' fired, if I ever presented my boss a product even half as buggy as Skyrim at release date... but I guess the commercial industry must have significantly higher standards here than the gaming industry... or their obvious incompetence won't be so glaringly defended by their fan boys. ("In a product as complex as this this amount of bugs is to be expected" they say... well, still not in my job, no matter how much they repeat it.) But that's off-topic now and as pointless as your bitching about NMM.

Lot of maniacal rage here.

Most sites get hacked, it happens from time to time but they fixed it and kept us informed. As for NMM, yea, it trashed my game, sucked fixing it and reinstalling everything. Took a chance, it was perfect and then it degraded over recent releases. Not worth the rage though but you see that on the 'net from time to time too.

BETA isn't for me, went back to OBMM. No more frustration.

As for splitting the sites to premium and non memberships I think it's a bad idea. I've been a member for about five years and just recently made a donation because I could at the time. That and for the length of time I've been enjoying this site, the games it makes even more spectacular and finally as a thanks for their making this all happen. Well, maybe not for the NMM... heh. Had the site required an up front fee I'd not be here. Kids are expensive and all.

Later

Okay I don't know what happened with the latest releases of the NMM but it has been a major detriment to my gaming experience.

Simply upgrading to a new version seems to have disorganized my list of say 200 mods. And I continued to play with what apperantly was conflicting mods (which should have been disabled, as they were by default before), causing my game to be permanently bugged and losing over 10 hours of gameplay. I only later discovered that the manager had loaded conflicting plugins which are not even part of the load order.

On closer inspection it seems that loading load orders is bugged in the current release.

It will automaticly load all plugins even if they are not supposed to be active. You can't simply load an older load order and expect it to deactive any plugins active. Nope. It doesn't do that anymore. It will only load up the plugins in the list and will keep all the other plugins active aswell.

Gahhh. I'll go back to manualy checking everything. I hope this is fixed in an upcomming release...

Still love the manager tho, couldn't play the game without xD