ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

NMM bug fix release and download hacking problems fixed

Dark0ne

In response to post #7635205. #7636326, #7636511, #7637460, #7637758, #7638512, #7638569, #7639971, #7645295, #7647439, #7648532 are all replies on the same post.

Having authors put compress the files before uploading them is not banning .exe mods. Although there are plenty of us that would never run such a strange .exe some people would, and I think it would be better if they knew all Nexus mods are always compressed.
(Like the TES5Edit/FO3Edit, both .exes, both compressed.)

@Ichibu Viruses are like bacteria. They spread, grow, and evolve. I'm sure you've heard of the AntiVirus 2008/9/10/11/12/13? It's an auto and installer, . Imagine if such a virus were to hit the Nexus? Even if you wouldn't execute this .exe it wouldn't matter, it would simply install itself. I got the AV virus back in 09 I or 08, and after that it was never really gone from the system (Even after about 10 different cleaners). So, I would love to see your face when you get such a "small" malware incident hits you, simply because you didn't want an extra click on a confirmation box telling you what you're about to download.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if this may help but I've had my computer hacked once last year and in the panic of not being able to control our own machine, we sometimes forget the obvious: unplug your Web router, ground line or WiFi. This may not be sufficient to track down the malware and uninstall it, but it is always necessary to regain enough control as to clean and reinstall your system.

I was lucky enough not to get this NMM malware as, for once, I did not upgrade my Mod Manager version - mostly thanks to one of your posts, Dark0ne, where you wrote (in substance) "if your NMM version works and you fear introducing new bugs, don't upgrade it until the users' comments make you confident enough".

To any of you guys who may be new to modding, I would advise following Gopher's tip: always download manually, that allows you to check the file's name (sometimes very different from the mod's name), control where you download it in your computer, and open the folder to check its content and structure before installing it. You can still install through NMM this way, but you know exactly what your install. The other great benefit of that procedure is, with practice, you learn to understand how these mods affect your game, and it helps a lot when you need to chase a bug or a conflict. And unless it is a utility mod, there should never be a .exe file in your downloads.

Anyway, thanks a LOT, Dark0ne and all your team of hard workers, for creating the best modding site ever :)

Its bad when this kind of thing happens. but the way those who run the nexus site and how they handeled it, as well as their honesty about it is the main reason I will stay with the nexus site in fact when i go looking for new game the first sites i visit is the Nexus ones. so to all those who run this site Thank you very much for being so upfront and honest with us. It is a breath of fresh air when most corporations follow the "deny, deny, cover up" rules.

hi, i give you trust, but i make mistake. i've updtate to 4.4:

i've rename in nmm my files, for my own convenience. than i've updtate to 44.4 planing a new skyrim install. so i delete the folder "install info" as always for new install.

at the first nmm 44.4 lunch it's ok. at the relaunch, all my renamed was going. thanks a lot!!!!!!

i'll enjoy the wanderfull site, but about the NMM i've to say it's the worst app that i've seen in my life.

Edited by BurtFreeman

Somehow I am not able to download mods thru NMM. Downloading never start and if I quit an reopen NMM then continue downloading, it crashed.

Edit: Never mind the second one. I have to quit NMM and restart. Only then my download will start.

Edited by Crane92

I've having multiple issues with downloading with NMM as well. It seems to only let me choose from Salt Lake or London for my preferred servers, no matter what I want. And I cannot download from either. just sits there and/or times out.

EDIT: Update to that. It will let me select Netherlands as well, same issue.

Downloading manually from DC off the site seems to work. But NMM will not choose DC even if I select US east coast as preferred. Keeps doing SAlt Lake or San Jose.

Edited by eisentank

In response to post #7650262.

I thought Dark0ne stated that the virus was NOT in NMM update or "download with NMM" files but in manual downloads only Edited by seanxx

In response to post #7650262. #7651611, #7651933 are all replies on the same post.

Excellent tips Hoamaii. I would add to that:
1. Use a script blocker on your browser like NoScript for Firefox. It is not an antivirus, but scripts are a common way to get infected easily and without your knowledge, so it's more like a browser firewall - if the hacker used a script to inject the file from a remote site, NoScript would have stopped it.
2. Use more than one antivirus. Even if you don't expect a file has a virus, run it through VirusTotal just for funsies. I bet at least one of the antivirus services that flagged it as a virus are on VirusTotal's list.