NMM bug fix release and download hacking problems fixed

Dark0ne

In response to post #7674256. #7674280, #7674313 are all replies on the same post.

Hmm true...
There are also "Hacktivists". They are usually trying to give attention to a subject that is supposed to be wrong. For instance SOPA, PIPA, ACTA and other bullthings government lobbyists are trying to pull off.
They could be in the second bracket, but their cause is more or less just. And so far they have mostly caused overloads to gov. institution sites. Almost no damage, just putting some useless sites out of commission for a while.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #7674256. #7674280, #7674313 are all replies on the same post.

Hmm true...

There are also "Hacktivists". They are usually trying to give attention to a subject that is supposed to be wrong. For instance SOPA, PIPA, ACTA and other bullthings government lobbyists are trying to pull off.

They could be in the second bracket, but their cause is more or less just. And so far they have mostly caused overloads to gov. institution sites. Almost no damage, just putting some useless sites out of commission for a while.

And that kind of activity is both cowardly, and criminal. And the excuses are similar to those for software piracy.

Here's a piece that says it far better than I could: DDoS: Terrorism or legitimate form of protest?

In response to post #7678406.

I think it's dangerous to start labeling things "terrorism" willy-nilly, it will end up like "racism" and "sexism". And then innocent people get labeled terrorist by people don't like and we end up like soviet Russia (I'm not saying you were labeling anyone btw).

In response to post #7678406.

I think it's dangerous to start labeling things "terrorism" willy-nilly, it will end up like "racism" and "sexism". And then innocent people get labeled terrorist by people don't like and we end up like soviet Russia (I'm not saying you were labeling anyone btw).

While I agree with you on this, the kind of hacking causing damage to infrastructure and the like is labeled cyber-"terrorism" for a reason.

Then again, it's called "cyber"-terrorism, to seperate it from the bombing and killing type, and as such is already toned down, thus in a way it does fulfill your wish already.

And to further emphasize, the 'real' hackers, doing it for a cause or as a sort of protest, normally are neither causing damage nor are they targeting a non-commercial fan-community such as this one. Actions such as this we're discussing here are actually frowned upon by the 'real' hackers, as it puts them into a bad light being compared to such low-lives and ultimately confused with terrorists due to the actions of other so-called 'hackers'.

For example those on a 'vendetta' with the Nexus for being banned, emptily threatening to have "Anonymous" move against the site, are unable to grasp that the 'real' Anonymous (whoever they are) would never lower themselves to this level and couldn't get enough distance between their just causes and the vengeance disturbance activity those low-lives are after. I mean it's like comparing sand-box fighting in pre-school to freedom fighters in a military conflict. ...'Loughable' doesn't quite cut it.

Edited by DrakeTheDragon

In response to post #7686435.

I'm agree with kitsuneshoujo: speak of terrorism in a video game site sound over sized. i think that word has to be cautely spoken in this time. if you start to speak about terrorism here, wich will be the limit?

In response to post #7686435. #7686626, #7688285 are all replies on the same post.

Just what I said exactly.

I'll be back calling it terrorism when they DDoS'd a hospital and killed two dozens on the ICU... It'll definitely not be on this site though. It'd be far too off-topic.

I didn't invent the term Cyber-Terrorism either, just agreed to the news article that was linked below/above (site/forums, this cross-posting is getting confusing).

Back to topic, anybody?

In response to post #7673652.

That's not what happened at all. As soon as we knew about the hack we took down the affected servers. Once we cleaned them up and thought we had it patched up and fixed we put the servers back online. Unfortunately the hacker had left a backdoor we couldn't find and hacked the servers again around 12 hours later, at 2.30am in the morning. At that point as soon as we found out we again took the affected servers down and did a full wipe of the servers. Throughout it all only two of the 12 file servers we have were affected, which is why a lot of people were unaffected by the problems. If you'd still like to argue we some how acted inappropriately then I'll just be over here, ignoring the argument.

That part was not clear to me. Thanks.