NMM bug fix release and download hacking problems fixed

Dark0ne

Where would this downloader go to? The download folder? And would I actually have to use the downloader to get infected?

I downloaded a brand new mod (Fantasy Music Overhaul Tropical Edition) at 8:30 this morning (PST time). But it seems to have downloaded fine, and I didn't see any suspicious files downloaded or in my download folder. And while Norton may not be that great (I already paid for it a couple months back), it is up to date and didn't say anything about suspicious files.

Ran malwarebytes and that hasn't found anything either.

Restarted my PC afterwards, and nothing suspicious popped up and nothing seems to be weird.

Should I be good then?

Edited by Vendayn

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fell victim to this on this site, I don't blame you and i still intend to use the nexus and praise it to all. You guys quickly sorted it all out and fixed it as I say thanks for that.

In response to post #7636580. #7636673 is also a reply to the same post.

Thanks, getting it the first ting tomorrow, my current virus scanner kinda crushes anything that heads my way, but rather take the sure for the unsure,
man my entire evening is ruined, cant feel anything but hate now, those kinds of people make me sick, the power to control electronic devises up to such a high level, and then abuse it like that...

Yup, I was one of the unfortunate ones, I think I got some ransomware from a download.. It took a picture of me and threw up an FBI warning type thing.. I shut down immediately, and restored my comp, it seems like that took care of it though, I should probably scan just in case.

Though I never personally have issues with such things as I am super careful, my father in fact got nailed with this maybe 2 months ago or so (not here on Nexus).

The sad part is, my father, being an elderly man of 73, thought he had done something or went somewhere on the net that got him in trouble.

Being afraid of what he saw (FBI), he told nobody and did as it told him.

He went out to some corner store and bought something like a money order, came back home, and input the receipt code into the box on that "FBI warning screen".

Sure enough, the PC unlocked moments later and he thought all was ok.

Unfortunately, not a day later, back came the FBI warning screen locking his PC.

This time, he called me and I went down to his home and took a look and was royally pissed off that my old man got hit by this a-hole... Dad being on a fixed income and all.

Anyway, I fixed the issue of course and had a long talk with him about such things, and not to fall for anything out here at all.

And finally, if he was ever in doubt, please speak with me first before going out and spending his money.

Anyway, good job Nexus staff for quickly catching this and correcting it.

Now if we could only find the ass who did this, I would love to visit him and introduce him to my form of justice ;)

I feel for you newfy69,

never had a family member have that virus but the tough that one of my older family members would be robbed like that just course they are good of faith and heart,

i would say find the hackers and by law forbid them to ever touch a pc again,

if they get caught on a pc after that, break there fingers! time for the law system to man up a little.

Virus Total is a great site that scans files using all of the best virus scanners. I always scan exe and dll files before opening them up or using them there. It saved me a few times when Avast didn't detect anything. It sucks to hear that such a thing has happened to the Nexus, I hope not too many people got infected. Edited by knightspk2