Which OS for install is best?

Roach75

Hi all, I'm eager to get back to this game after 2 full playthroughs on the Xbox 360 and wishing I'd got a PC to run it. Well I now have more options, I have my old Core 2 Duo 3.0 ghz win Xp 32 SP3 desktop, with 4gb Ram and a new 560ti gfx card which is very good for the old system and my new win 7 64bit with 8 ram and 7970amd card.

Having read a lot about installing fallout 3 and it's use of windows live etc I cannot decided which PC to install it on, I think the old one should cope with any mods I may use but I would sacrifice HD etc from the new PC. Any advice, is it easier to install on XP or doesn't it matter. Does the higher res, gfx power make any difference with an older game like this anyway?

Cheers, Roach

The second one without a doubt. All modern applications are optimised for modern operating systems, windows XP is a legacy OS. Plus you have much better hardware on the second system.

Ok, thanks. About Windows live, I'm not familiar with it and have a suspicion I'll dislike it as I'm inclined to distrust most microsoft products, I've seen people recommend a program to remove it, but I think that was recommended for those with the Steam version, I have the latest production boxed GOTY edition, will this make any difference in the install proceedure?

Apologies if I should have started a new thread for this, thought was I'm keeping my questions in one place, so why starrt new thread.

When you install Fallout, Windows Live will be installed at the same time. You can use the stand alone mod to deactivate G4WL or if you are going to do any modding, use the Fallout Mod Manager.

Also, during installation, you will be asked to use the default install or custom install. Choose the custom installation and in the box that opens, type in the location on your hard drive that you want the game installed. When I installed mine, I used "C:\Bethesda Softworks. This installs the game outside of the User Account Control.

When you install Fallout, Windows Live will be installed at the same time. You can use the stand alone mod to deactivate G4WL or if you are going to do any modding, use the Fallout Mod Manager.

Also, during installation, you will be asked to use the default install or custom install. Choose the custom installation and in the box that opens, type in the location on your hard drive that you want the game installed. When I installed mine, I used "C:\Bethesda Softworks. This installs the game outside of the User Account Control.

Very new to modding these types of games, is FOMM better than NMM for Fallout 3 and NV?

The Nexus Mod Manager will allow you to download and install some mods for FO3 and FNV. Fallout Mod Manager will allow you to install all the mods for FO3 and FNV. However, FOMM requires that you have a working knowledge of your computer and how to drag and drop files.

• 1 month later...