Action Role-Playing Games (Singleplayer)

billyro

Hmm... Well, dsfix fixes the Dark Souls port (mostly), but you'd still probably need a controller.

There's Dark Messiah, but it's just not a great game compared to The Witcher 2 or Dark Souls.

Dead Island is sort of an action/rpg, but it's light on the rpg and heavy on the fake Australian accents.

The Assassin's Creed series is a possibility, though the drm can be bad. I haven't had any such issues with AC3, but it still uses uPlay.

Gothic 3 is older, but the graphics hold up better than expected given the age and it has a lot in common with games like Oblivion or Skyrim. Based on the other things you like, Gothic 3 may be the best option.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rennn, on 25 Mar 2013 - 21:16, said:

Hmm... Well, dsfix fixes the Dark Souls port (mostly), but you'd still probably need a controller.

There's Dark Messiah, but it's just not a great game compared to The Witcher 2 or Dark Souls.

Dead Island is sort of an action/rpg, but it's light on the rpg and heavy on the fake Australian accents.

The Assassin's Creed series is a possibility, though the drm can be bad. I haven't had any such issues with AC3, but it still uses uPlay.

Gothic 3 is older, but the graphics hold up better than expected given the age and it has a lot in common with games like Oblivion or Skyrim. Based on the other things you like, Gothic 3 may be the best option.

I looked into dsfix a while back, it looks as if it fixes a lot of problems, but I didn't want to risk it. Besides, Dark Souls has gone off Steam sale now, so I'm not gonna get it.

They fake the Aussie accents in Dead Island? Fools! They know nothing of our speech! But in all seriousness, I've never been into horror, so I dunno. (I know that games are a lot milder than movies with the horror themes, but yeah.)

Haven't heard of Dark Messiah, so I'll have a look later. :smile:

Assassin's Creed... Damn, I'm forgetting about all these great games I have played. I guess some of the really good games you sorta just skip over, like you expect everyone to have played them. :P

I had a look at Gothic 3 a while back, but I didn't really like the look of it. Perhaps I'll have a refresher.

Edited by billyro

Be sure to get Dragon Knight Saga and not Ego Draconis, it has a lot of improvements and also includes the expansion. On Steam (maybe elsewhere?) you'll also get the developers cut for free, it's the same game but with the console enabled.

Out of curiosity, what's wrong with Ego Draconis?

Try Gothic 3 + Community patch. It doesnt look that much bad

http://i50.tinypic.com/i5p536.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/2rx8w9k.jpg

I heard that there is a mod of Gothic 2 or for Skyrim but not sure

And after playing AC series you wont like ANY other games :happy:

Be sure to get Dragon Knight Saga and not Ego Draconis, it has a lot of improvements and also includes the expansion. On Steam (maybe elsewhere?) you'll also get the developers cut for free, it's the same game but with the console enabled.

It's badly unbalanced and the ending was terrible, Dragon Knight Saga fixed all that.

What about the Stalker games? Well the first and third one anyway. They're pretty good if you use the Complete Mods on ModDB which fix a lot of bugs and improve the graphics.

Theres also Risen, I didn't like it myself but then I wasn't keen on the Gothic series, but some people really rate them.

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic as has been mentioned isn't bad, old but definately cheap enough to try.

The Thief games are also well worth playing if you can track them down. More action adventure than RPG but they have a pretty unique world kind of steampunk/medieval fantasy.

For sheer gameplay providing you can look past the age and the dated graphics theres Baldur's Gate 2 which every RPG should play at least once. Planescape Torment is another old but great game with great storytelling.

I know you said you're not keen on Star Wars games but Knights of the Old Republic is a great RPG with a good story. Jade Empire is another Bioware game worth looking at.

Try Gothic 3 + Community patch. It doesnt look that much bad

http://i50.tinypic.com/i5p536.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/2rx8w9k.jpg

I heard that there is a mod of Gothic 2 or for Skyrim but not sure

And after playing AC series you wont like ANY other games :happy:

Not too bad? It looks freaking awesome! Yeah, that's the way to go. :)

What about the Stalker games? Well the first and third one anyway. They're pretty good if you use the Complete Mods on ModDB which fix a lot of bugs and improve the graphics.

Theres also Risen, I didn't like it myself but then I wasn't keen on the Gothic series, but some people really rate them.

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic as has been mentioned isn't bad, old but definately cheap enough to try.

The Thief games are also well worth playing if you can track them down. More action adventure than RPG but they have a pretty unique world kind of steampunk/medieval fantasy.

For sheer gameplay providing you can look past the age and the dated graphics theres Baldur's Gate 2 which every RPG should play at least once. Planescape Torment is another old but great game with great storytelling.

I know you said you're not keen on Star Wars games but Knights of the Old Republic is a great RPG with a good story. Jade Empire is another Bioware game worth looking at.

Hmm, the Stalker games don't really look like my style, but I'll look into them some more.

I also looked at the Risen games, but the first one looks a bit too old, and the second apparently isn't as good. From the gameplay video I watched, it looks really clunky and that would definitely impact on my enjoyment of the games, sadly.

Yeah, I had a look at that Dark Messiah game too. It seems very heavy on its lore, and I don't have enough room in my small brain to occupy another game lore. :P

I've briefly glanced over the Thief games, but I'll need to look at 'em more in depth.

Yeah, Baldur's Gate is a type of game I'd really like to play, but its just too old. When they first announced the enhanced edition, I was pretty excited expecting brand new graphics and improved gameplay mechanics but it looks as if they did nothing to improve upon the game in those ways.

I'll have a look at that Jade Empire game too. Thanks. :)

AC series, FC 3 arent ARPG games but ok everyone has own oppinion but im dissapointed you didnt include:

Diablo, Diablo 2 and Diablo 3, Baldur's Gate, Neverwinther Nights, Sacred 1 and 2...

It's badly unbalanced and the ending was terrible, Dragon Knight Saga fixed all that.

Ahh okay. Yeah, it was terribalanced. Haven't beaten yet though. A different game came out aroudn the same time I had played it and distracted me. Hadn't played it since. I had just gotten to become a dragon if I remember correctly. In the Dragon Knight Saga, do you still become a dragon? That's why I liked Ego Draconis so much.

@Sirxon, yeah, those really arne't ARPGs, they're just action. Those other games were already mentioned btw, except Sacred 1/2.

AC series, FC 3 arent ARPG games but ok everyone has own oppinion but im dissapointed you didnt include:

Diablo, Diablo 2 and Diablo 3, Baldur's Gate, Neverwinther Nights, Sacred 1 and 2...

Yeah I know, I would have changed the title if I was able. This thread started off as RPGs to play, but then evolved into an "anything that's good" thread.

I can understand why Diablo is a popular game, but it's just not my style. I don't really like top-down games... :/

And I did actually include Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights, just in the "haven't played" section.