Random Acts of Kindness

quicksilverva

Has anybody ever had any random acts of kindness happen to them?

I've had one, and my dad did one to somone.

My dads:

My family, my girlfriend, and I had gone to the Waffle House for breakfast Thanksgiving Day 2012. About halfway through our meal, an Ensign fresh from the US Naval Academy had walked in with his wife and infant. Just as we were about to pay and leave, my dad got the attention of the Ensign's waitress and asked to pay his bill.

Mine:

This was a week or so after the Sandy Hook Elementary shooting. I was with my girlfriend, her son, and her sons girlfriend. Me and my girl had just picked them up from school, and we had went to the McDonald's drive thru to get some dinner. When I got to the window, the worker was grinning from ear to ear holding a receipt out to me and said to read it. Turns out, the lady in front of us paid for our meal ($30 or so for the 4 of us).

Once when I was staying in a lodge someone slipped $10 and a note under my door (nothing seedy :happy: ) with a smiley face on it saying I looked down and they hoped it might cheer me up. I was exceedingly low and broke at the time and it worked a treat. And bought me a desperately needed bit of food :biggrin:

When I was a little girl I had to go to the hospital about once a month for operation. I am from West Virginia, which for those of you that do not know is a pretty rural state. My surgeries were all in Boston, Mass and my Mother and I would have to fly each time. Needless to say both Boston itself and the airport there were very large and we were often out of our element.

One trip home (I was always feeling very horrible and that airport is a big place for a sick, little country girl) we were heading toward our gate and I was dragging my bag of "stuff" and some magazine or coloring book or something fell out without me knowing. A very tall man with a reddish beard and hair stopped me and gave it back to me. My Mother and I of course thanked him profusely and were happy that someone had been nice enough to do this. At the gate I remember laying with my head on my Mom's lap, waiting for the plane when this man came and sat at the same gate. He then got up, left and came back and handed me a small, Paddington Bear stuffed animal. He said it was for being so brave. He and my Mother exchanged words and we got on the plane. My Mother got the man's address and we later sent him a card...which strangely enough came back "address unknown."

I have never forgotten that bit of nice. I have no idea if that man gave the incorrect address on purpose or what. It would have been more than nice for him to have picked up a little kid's things but the Paddington Bear was great. I still have it...30-some years later. Its a reminder of a bit of light in an otherwise dark time.

Offtopic: Lisnpuppy, you from West Virginia, you say? No kidding. I am from Wytheville, VA. About an hour or so from the VA-WVA border.

Back to topic: Don't know if you have seen City of Angels, but maybe he was your guardian angel trying to cheer you up?

This happened one October day, about 17 years ago, when I was in the City Administration building. A man brought a woman's wallet in and turned it over to the on duty policeman I was talking with. The wallet had been dropped next to the smoking area bench by a young lady that worked there. In the wallet was almost $300. The woman was happy to have it returned to her since it was her grocery money for the month for her and her children. The man refused a reward. He was known around downtown, and had been homeless for years. His name was Frank.

Offtopic: Lisnpuppy, you from West Virginia, you say? No kidding. I am from Wytheville, VA. About an hour or so from the VA-WVA border.

Back to topic: Don't know if you have seen City of Angels, but maybe he was your guardian angel trying to cheer you up?

*waves across border* Hey I been through there lots!!!! And my Mother always said he was a guardian angel. All I know is he made a little girl very happy.