⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Skyrim Start Screen - Boxes/Squares Instead of Menu Options

bluemarvin

So, if anyone can help me with this problem... I'll declare you Skyrim King of All Time. lol

Installed Skyrim on an older PC with a new install of Windows 8.

Brand new Steam install, not uch software on the PC.

It gets to the start screen, the music comes up, and where we're supposed to see the menu options to start a new game, continue, load a game, etc, instead there are little boxes where the text should be... hollow square outlines.

Also, no mouse shows up, and pressing "Enter" does nothing... in fact, no keyboard controll at all.

No problems in anything else so far on the PC.

Tried rebooting, and that didn't work... this is so odd, I don't even know where to start. Tried lowering the resolution, etc, graphics are already set to low quality.

Any ideas?

• 3 months later...

Yeah, I'm having the same problem as ghaschel: getting white boxes instead of the menu text when launching TESV.exe or SKSE Loader through Mod Organizer. Even if I turn off all my mods, I still get the error. Vanilla/SKSE Loader both run fine if I'm not launching through MO.

I am on Windows 7 x64, so it's not a Win 8.1 problem. I am going to try Wrye Bash tomorrow and see if that will work.

I've tried everything I can think of but no success. Can't find anything about it on the net either. Any help would be appreciated.

If you read ghaschel's and my post correctly, then you'd see that vanilla runs fine. I only encountered the error when launching through Mod Organizer.

Anyway, I fixed the problem and it was a rather newb mistake. I'm new to Mod Organizer and didn't realize I had to manually activate some of the BSAs. At first, I tried activating all of the BSAs including the ones for my mods, which caused my game to CTD immediately after starting. Long story short, I ended up doing a fresh install of Mod Organizer, activated the vanilla BSAs, and then installed and activated my 80 mods. I did not activate (checkbox) any BSAs for my mods.

Everything is working fine now. So if you are getting this error, make sure you activate the vanilla BSAs in Mod Organizer. At least that fixed it for me.

Edited by noidkid

Did you manage to fix this? I'm having exactly this problem. The game runs ok if i start it from TESV.exe, launcher, or SKSEloader, but when i start it through the mod organizer, it wont work =(

So, if anyone can help me with this problem... I'll declare you Skyrim King of All Time. lol

Installed Skyrim on an older PC with a new install of Windows 8.

Brand new Steam install, not uch software on the PC.

It gets to the start screen, the music comes up, and where we're supposed to see the menu options to start a new game, continue, load a game, etc, instead there are little boxes where the text should be... hollow square outlines.

Also, no mouse shows up, and pressing "Enter" does nothing... in fact, no keyboard controll at all.

No problems in anything else so far on the PC.

Tried rebooting, and that didn't work... this is so odd, I don't even know where to start. Tried lowering the resolution, etc, graphics are already set to low quality.

Any ideas?

this happened to me first i got two mods the when i whent to check them all letters had s $ in forunt of the like this ' $load ' then i deleted some files the this

• 1 month later...

All my .bsas are enabled and I'm still experiencing this problem!! Help!

Edit: Verifying game cache doesn't work. And this only happens when I launch from NMM. I'd simply not use NMM but it turns out many of my mods won't show up in the game without it because of the structure of my current installation.

Edited by eLucifer