Miraak is unkillable.

Relativelybest

I giggled at that. Sorry for your pain

Ok, so you say that he goes and kills all Dragons and you get their souls. And I take it you tried toggling godmode and just hitting them until he does all his scripted actions - you're not supposed to hit the Dragons, it's between them.

No, no. I pretty much ignored the dragons from the start. I was sorta focused on my epic duel with my ancient Dragonborn nemesis.

If it means anything, Miraak has never stolen any dragon souls from me period, even back on Solstheim. Just, at the time I thought it was a glitch in my favor, not a game breaker.

He's supposed to fight you, retreat and get a soul, fight some more, retreat and get the other soul, again, and then retreat to the centre, where he'll be impaled by Mora once his energy drops enough. You are saying that nothing of this happens, right?

First he retreats to the center and kills the first dragon, but I get the soul and he stayes intangible.

If I heal him he returns to the fight, then retreats to the center and kills the second dragon, same deal: I get the soul, he stays where he is until I console heal him.

After that he just tries to kill the second dragon again, even though it's already dead. This causes the fight to loop forever.

If I kill the dragons before fighting him, he goes to the center and apparently waits for Mora to kill him, but Mora never shows up.

And you also tried updating the quest stage by stage? You already read the bugs session of the UESPwiki, right? The last topics talk about the fight never ending. Sorry if I'm just repeating stuff you already tried, but just to make sure. Because the topics of the "bugs" session talk about specifically that - notice that several quest stages that you can advance do not have a journal entry and as such don't appear in that list far in the bottom of the UESPwiki page.

Pretty much. The best I can manage is disabling him, updating the quest manually and leaving through the final alter, but I'm very reluctant to do that since I don't consider it a real solution to the problem. Plus, it means I can't take his gear.

Ok, I just re-read all your posts here. You haven't mentioned using that previous save you said was quite far back - but after 4 hours of pain trying to get around the bug, maybe you could invest the next 4 hours in that tedious playing up to the point you were. :/

Yeah, it's just... Having checked a lot of other Miraak bug discussions around the web, I'm not even sure that's going to work. And I don't think I can take playing through everything from Cleansing of the Stones all over again just to find I still have the same problem. So I'm going to have to take some time off Skyrim before trying it. Maybe in the meantime someone will come up with a fix for this goddamned bugged fight.

From what I can gather, the safest bet is to actually reinstall Dragonborn and starting over from scratch. But I'm totally not doing that unless I've tried every other measure first.

@ Relativelybest, yes he absorbed the last 2 or 3 souls I think. As I posted, I think I killed the first dragon which I reckon glitched the game as it had already landed under Miraak's control..who absorbed the first soul I am not clear on...I left the dragons alone after that, so he must have or else I wouldn't have got through. He seems to freeze after he kills the dragon and absorbs the souls, just before he is suppose to emerge from the pool

As far as I can understand, the problem is manegable as long as he does absorb the souls. If your character gets all the souls instead, like mine did, you may have a serious problem on your hands.

By chance are you using the Unofficial Skyrim Patch and the Unofficial Dragonborn patch?

Only the Dragonborn patch, and I did turn that off along with the other mods, with no change. If I replay the questline from an earlier save, I'll try turning it off to see if that helps. Though, I'm not terribly optimistic since I'm not sure the DB patch even does anything to my game.

Edited by Relativelybest

I think you have to cleanse only the first one with the first word of Bend Will, and then cleaning the rest becomes a side-quest. I think only Fate of the Skaal is a prerequisite - finding Frea and taking her to the village, and then cleansing a single stone. I could be wrong, though, my memory is all full of fog and glitter and unmentionable things.

You have to cleanse them all in order to get Thorn Crag-strider's help. In my game, the battle was bugged in that Miraark never killed the dragons. I managed to kill him, the cutscene with H.Mora happened, I looted his body, got the quest award and when I tried to exit through the altar - "you can't leave while enemies are near". Dragonrend didn't work, had to console kill the three dragons in order to be able to return to Solstheim.

• 2 months later...

What I figured out actually works to break this glitch! I used Xbox 360 not pc so I'm unable to console command or anything

I used the resto glitch on a bow just for this occasion. What you do is rest as soon as you get on the summit of apocrypha. My bow was improved to several hundred thousand for damage ( alchemy exploit and enchanted fur armor to have a few million smithing points added)

When you finish resting, shoot all three dragons as fast as you possibly can so none are flying and he can't absorb them. But DO NOT KILL MIRAK YET!! Move behind a pillar and enter sneak mode. After avoiding his sight for a while it will say hidden. When that does lean out and shoot him for the one shot kill. It will pass the glitch completely and Hermaeus Mora will appear and you see ending cut scene!

Felt so happy after wasting forever glitching at the last battle:l

• 2 months later...

Solved.

On my first run through with Dragonborn. I started it after beating Alduin. Bad Idea.

Miraak needs to Steal dragon souls from you in order to compleat his endgame.

If Miraak dont Steal any dragon souls from you, Then he wont at the end of his mission.

Makes it unbeatable... :sad:

On the next run through Go meet Miraak as soon as the cultist attack you. Cleans the stones.

Then go back to Skyrim. And continue the main quest.

You should see Miraak allot more often, And all should be well... lol

Edited by ShadyJay

I don't know if what ShadyJay said was the problem for if I remember correctly, Miraak never stole any souls from me.

But I did manage to solve the problem, I don't think this solution was mentioned yet (I skimmed through posts instead of reading) so if it was posted then my bad.

1. Take off any overpowered gear, like any one shot crap or anything. And DON'T attack ANY Dragon.

2. Make sure you fight him and he says a few lines of dialogue about him being better etc etc.

3. As soon as you see him Whirlwind Sprint or when he says (WUULLD) then run away from him.

4. If he goes back to the center RUN to the OPPOSITE side of wherever the DRAGON is, like the opposite platform/ pool and then duck/sneak.

My problem was that he never absorbed the soul, or I did, and I believe whoever the dragon is closest to will receive the soul.

Hope this helped!

• 3 months later...

Disabling the Unofficial Skyrim Patch will be your friend. I spent at least 4 hours trying many of the tricks suggested killing all the dragons, killing none of the dragons, hiding to get Miraaks health up, restarting the sequence, e.t.c. all with the same result...Miraak stuck in ethereal in the fountain. I disabled the patch, loaded my save game with 3 dragons alive, and the Miraak sequence went down as advertised on the first try. He recovered from the ethereal loop, killed all 3 dragons, captured the 3 souls, and then met his demise. Mission accomplished. Good luck.