long question... problem with a homemade plugin

eviljim

I have tried 2 times and am getting the same issue. I can load up the plugin and play it and everything is gravy until a random point (less than 5 minutes into it) at which it crashes to desktop.

it has happened:

after killing everything.

after being killed.

before anything dies.

after casting ultima a few times.

while slashing away at enemies.

--

i can't see any correlations to what would cause it. i thought maybe it was my script:

------

begin arenamod_attack_script

SetFight 1

StartCombat, Player

end arenamod_attack_script

-------

i know it isn't necessary but i wanted to make sure that every monster in the room attacked at once. anyway i removed the script and they were a little more docile but i still had the issue.

--

the mods aren't even that cool. one is a 5x7 room with 5 storm atronachs with upped stats and a masamune in the back. the other is the "in_bonecave_4" with 4 of the storm atronachs, 4 winged twilights and 10 skeletons (all with upped stats).

--

i created new objects in case i screwed something up so that's not an ish. but i can't delete any of the screwups from where i created the wrong characters. it just adds a "d" to the count. i'm thinking maybe the extra garbage objects that i can't delete may be screwing with something. everything is fine if i don't load my mod. i even tried starting from scratch on it... do i just suck?

----

system specs

AMD 2600xp(333)

512MB ddr3200(underclocked)

western digital 7200rpm 40gb

asus a7v8x

---

Well, how many other programs do you have running in the background while you play Morrowind? Having 18 monsters in one room attacking the player at once may overload the game and cause it to crash. An area effect spell on a load of enemies at once could also cause a CTD...

After being killed or killing everything though, don't see why it should always CTD then...

Hmm. Extra garbage objects? You mean lots of objects clogging things up? An excess of objects could slow the game down and cause it to crash as well I suppose...

by extra garbage objects i'm referring to stuff that i've deleted from the object window in the construcion set. the actual number of objects being used i kept to a minimum as this is my first attempt at a plugin so i tried to keep it simple for troubleshooting purposes.

also i have nothing running in the background. i'm kinda anal about stuff running that i'm not actually using :)

btw i tried it last night after posting and found that if i go in the room and take the masamune and immediately leave it will not crash. i even went back in afterward and i was fine. i figured maybe it's only if i hang out in the room so i tested the theory and when i repeated that process it ctd again. the weird part is the way it crashes. it's not just a sudden closeout like most of the other morrowind crashes, it stops and slowly fades to desktop. that's why i assumed it was my script.

thanks

EDIT: i just checked the editor again and the deleted objects are gone now so i guess that's not the issue. also i removed all but 2 storm atronachs and 2 winged twilights and tried the lamb's cave again; still ctd.

UPDATE:

uninstalled morrowind. uninstalled construciont set. reinstalled both. reinstalled latest patch. deleted original plugin and created new one from scratch with only 2 modified storm atronachs. still having issue. i can fill the room with explosions or annihlate the entire populace by laying waste with a stream of magical death but when i'm in the plugin cave it drops out.

i attached the plugin to this message. is there anyone out there that could check this out and see what i screwed up? it's only 6.4KB.

i would like to start making bigger cooler plugins but if i can't get one little room to cooperate i think my career may be over before it's started :P

EDIT: sorry... didn't mean to triple post... the page was locking up and i thought it didn't go through (again :( )

EDIT AGAIN: to whoever deleted my other 2 posts thanx and how can i delete my own double posts? :oops:

You can't delete your own posts. Just wait for the page to load if you post, even if the page doesn't show likely thing is your post still got through. CTRL+C your post and check your thread, if it's not there you can always try again. :P Otherwise a moderator will remove em if they spot them.

As for your ESP, I've tried it, absolutely no problems at all... I ran in, played with the atronachs running around getting em to throw spells at me... took the staff, killed em, kept throwing spells around the room with it, went outside, annihilated Balmora... and not one CTD. :D Was sorta fun actually.

So it seems it may be your computer/game, not your plugin...

My PC specs:

AMD Athlon XP 2600+

512MB RAM

GeForce 4 Ti4200 Graphics Card

Archived