Editing NPCs causes unwanted changes?

creodron

When I edit NPCs, all I do is uncheck the inventory template on the template tab then change their outfit on the inventory tab. If their inventory template is already unchecked then I just go ahead and change the outfit. No other changes are made. Unfortunately when I check my work in FO4Edit many of the NPCs have other records that get edited. I have had races changed, face morphs added, and stats such as health get modified.

Is this just a quirk of the Creation Kit or am I doing something wrong?

I can duplicate them just fine and have done so when creating new NPCs for the Gunner faction. The problem comes when editing NPCs that are part of the Gunner faction that I don't want to duplicate because they are tied to quests or only appear in certain encounters/cells.

I am just going to assume it just typical CK behavior and will be using FO4Edit to clean up all my edits.

CK

you want to now a name from someting, you head to cell xx and click the thing for the name, CK will add the hole cell to your esp because you where there

you click a npc change someting, CK will add everyting from that npc to your esp

you head to nuake world to check someting, CK will add the worldspace/cell to your esp

ect ect ect

its a typical CK thing, you touch anything CK will add it

In my latest mod I found an NPC I liked in the object window, duplicated them, and renamed them to correspond to my mod (e.g., SIIR_InstituteBotantistMale01). I would edit this record to change factions, keywords, hair color, inventory, etc. Note: May have to turn off templates if they are used. As a general run of thumb I never look at any other cell while I am working on my mod. If I am curious how something is setup in the base game, I'd close my mod and relaunch the CK using the main FO4 file or DLC if applicable. Find whatever and write down the specifics. Close without saving, reopen, returning to my mod, and adjust fires. Seems to work fine. In some cases I created, custom inventory packages to create the look I was after apparel wise.