invisibility doesn't work wtf

Dreamsxord

im in a snowy tundra, i know theres a troll up ahead, I use the thief shadow power before he becomes a red dot on my radar, he runs right past the goats and punches me into the afterlife.

straight up broken At first I just thought it was the spell where you go invis for 10 sec then move back to where you started.. enemies always attacked me when I was using that so I could never use hidden scorpion on them, but now after googling it a lot of people have this problem.

Wtf is the point of illusion/invisibility or thief power if you have to stealth to be undetectable?

Works fine for me, both the thief and the mage version. Are you sure you were in sneak mode? People can still hear you when you blunder about in walk/run.

Oh wait, you realise that, you just don't like it. Well, tough. I think there is a perk high up the sneak tree which allows running/walking to not affect detection.

Edited by acidzebra

im in a snowy tundra, i know theres a troll up ahead, I use the thief shadow power before he becomes a red dot on my radar, he runs right past the goats and punches me into the afterlife.

straight up broken At first I just thought it was the spell where you go invis for 10 sec then move back to where you started.. enemies always attacked me when I was using that so I could never use hidden scorpion on them, but now after googling it a lot of people have this problem.

Wtf is the point of illusion/invisibility or thief power if you have to stealth to be undetectable?

Uhm, okay, there is some missing information on your side so let me try to explain this in general: invisibility means they can not see you, it does NOT mean you can´t be detected (in other words, sight is not the only sense, enemies can still hear you) . Im almost 100% sure you have to be sneaking while using this effect in order to avoid being seen. (and if you are in full heavy armor with low sneak skill and no muffle they will almost always detect).

The point of this spell is to help you sneak past opponets who would otherwise see you, i dont think its designed for heavy warriors.

You need more than invisibility to avoid being detected. You need Stealth + Muffle + Invisibility. It's a pain, but it's a lot more interesting than in Fallout 3 where you only needed the Chinese Stealth suit to run past your enemies and finish off the quest without any chance of a conflict at all.

You can be detected even when sneaking and invisible if you do something to alert opponents. Having a low sneak and noisey armor is usually one of the easiest ways for your foes to beat invisibility. The muffle spell mentioned above really does help alot. Another thing to remember is to never bump into someone while invisible and sneaking, because you are automatically detected in these cases.

Invisibility is not an automatic way to remain undetected and I personally find this to be a good thing, because all my heavy armor wearing characters could just go invisible rather than having to rely on good stealth skills and tactics.

One more thing, without the illusion perk to cast spells quietly, just casting invisibility will alert a close to medium distance opponent to your position as they hear you cast your spell.

Just my $0.02 and best regards,

Mike

I was wearing the stormcloak armor. I understand that someone could know you're there if you are invisible based on your sound but I was barefoot in the snow.. Even if you could hear me from 100 feet away like the troll that ran straight at me or the mages that fired ice spikes at me, how would you know exactly where I was at if I went invisible before I even came into range on a huge windy mountain.

I was not even close to them and they started coming right at me from like 100 feet away. At least I know now that this is intended, awkward as it is.

I don't think that's normal. I had the same thing happening while I was playing a mod that introduced new buildings and NPC's. Every antagonist went straight for my stealthed and invisible character, regardless of how far away they were. It was some kind of bug I believe was caused by a mod used at some point. I played the same exact thing with a different character (basically a new character) using the same stealth/invisibility, and it didn't happen. Stealth and invisibility worked perfectly for that second character. The two characters had a very different mod configuration history baked into the save flies, so one of them had something that caused a problem. It's difficult to tell exactly from your description alone, but this does sound abnormal to me, and I do understand the points that the other people have made.

I was wearing the stormcloak armor. I understand that someone could know you're there if you are invisible based on your sound but I was barefoot in the snow.. Even if you could hear me from 100 feet away like the troll that ran straight at me or the mages that fired ice spikes at me, how would you know exactly where I was at if I went invisible before I even came into range on a huge windy mountain.

I was not even close to them and they started coming right at me from like 100 feet away. At least I know now that this is intended, awkward as it is.

It seems counterintuitive, but you really can tell where things are without the need for sight. You just use hearing like a radar, and that can tell you quite a bit. An animal can also smell you from miles away, so it isn't out of realm of believability to expect a creature to know where you are from 100 feet away strictly by sound or smell. And a Stormcloak armor may be light, but it is armor and that does clank and rattle and make a lot of noise.

As for wind, that would have been a pretty tall order to expect the game designers to work that in realistically. Not a bad idea, but probably not all that easy to implement, I would think.

For myself, I have no trouble at all being stealthy because I have experience. I know that (for example) my targets are going to hear the sound of my arrow coming off my bow, so I plan an alternate sniping point if I notice more than one target. Being able to move around without being detected is just as important as everything else for stealth.

works for me. At a reasonable distance away walking around skyrim enemies won't detect me while running... if I get close enough they will, unless I'm sneaking.. they will completely lose track of me instantly when I'm invisible and go into sneak mode, even at very close range. 146 sneak does that.

Edited by stockwiz