SC2: Wings of Lib. stil sits at $40!

lonewolfkai

It's been what, 3 years since Starcraft2 was released and with the new expansion out, I figured the price would come way down, but it still sits at $40!

Any speculations on if this price is going to come down?

I know what you mean SC2 is still £25 on Amazon in the UK. The thing is Blizzard don't exactly churn lots of games out like other companies and when they do release something it stays full price for years on end. Its annoying when you consider that Heart of the Swarm isn't even a standalone expansion either. Still other companies are known for being very infrequent with their price drops, I'm thinking of EA here. :wink:

i dont see it going to much cheaper anytime soon. i think $40 is a steal haha. i paid the full $60 (and for HotS too, wanted the Ultralisk skin) and my friend paid $50 for WoL. you get soo much with the game that i dont see it going too much cheaper then $40 anytime soon. if it drops to $30 ill be shocked tbh.

Remember when they were talking about making SCII's multiplayer free? Is it because of a lack of interest, or perhaps a lack of players being able to afford a $40 game?

I'm pretty sure the Diablo II warchest still sits at $20, and that you have to pay over $100 to get everything that's been released for WoW. I really can't say that their pricing is wrong, but that's just how Blizzard is - Bundle games to make them look like it's a bargain at the price they are offered. Whether that's true or not depends on the person.

Edited by ziitch

Well I broke down and bought it. I'm glad I did. It's a really fun RTS game. One thing that really bothers me though is that the game material is nearly all online, even when you play the single player campaign.

On the WoW thing, I think they should make the game content, including expansions, completely free since you already have to pay a monthly sub. fee. I wouldn't mind trying the game, but I'm not about to shell out $100 and then turn around and give out more monthly.

@hoof, did you get the Thor skin too? And yeah, that Ultralisk skin is pretty hot! I think I'm going to get the full expansion just for it.

Edited by lonewolf_kai

Well I broke down and bought it. I'm glad I did. It's a really fun RTS game. One thing that really bothers me though is that the game material is nearly all online, even when you play the single player campaign.

@hoof, did you get the Thor skin too? And yeah, that Ultralisk skin is pretty hot! I think I'm going to get the full expansion just for it.

not sure how to break up quotes anymore lol but in order:

1) you have to be logged on to get the achievements, but you can still play the Campaign and play single player matches Offline

2)no. when the original SC2 came out, i think the deluxe edition that came with the Thor skin was $100 or something. i didnt have the money at the time, nor did i even know it came with a Thor skin (not that I would have bought it even if i knew) the only reason i even bought the HotS deluxe edition is because it was only $60, which is what i was expecting to pay anyways. i know they always said it would be priced as an expansion, but i convinced myself it would still be $60 so i couldnt be let down :P

however you can get XP for playing as each race (i think there is 30 levels) and i forget which level gets you it, but each race has an unlockable skin, maybe more then one, i cannot remember. i know for a fact that Terran has an unlockable Supply Depot skin. just cool stuff. when you play matches (ranked or solo vs ai) you get XP. your XP is based on how much resources you spend (seems to be on a 1 to 1 ratio, 1 mineral for 1 XP and 1 gas for 1 XP) as well as for each thing you build including research and for destroying stuff. so per match you can get like 60k XP. you can also get bonus XP if you finish the match fast (i think under 10 minutes. i tend to drag mine out as long as possible, so ive only seen this once). and lastly you get a bonus 25k XP for the first win of the day with that race (similar to LoL) so i try to get a match in every day, once as each race, just to get that bonus (which is what i did with LoL..lol)

Oh I know you can still play offline. It just bothers me that the game disk doesn't contain the game.... so to speak. What do the achievements get you anyways? Other than bragging rights.

Did you ever play the first SC? I probably spent a thousand hours on that game. There was this one map everyone used that was a perfect setup for a base, with one entrance to it. It had the max number of players allowed in each corner, top, bottom, and sides. It was a big map with all the resources you need up against the back of the base area so it left plenty of room for your buildings. Can't remember the name of it though.

I was just thinking about a couple of my favorite things to do with that particular map:

1. Protoss: Get a fleet of Carriers, a couple Arbitrators (the ship that turns everyone invisible), and a couple Observers. It was fun to watch the swarm of bees!

2. Terran: Build the base defense by closing off the entrance with supply depots, bunkers behind it, and then a squad of tanks, in siege mode behind those. Add in a couple turrets for seeing invisibles. Then build a couple extra command centers with the nukes and send out the ghosts.

Ahhhh goood times, good times.

On SC2:WoL, is terrans the only campaign you run?