Project Reality - Climates Of Tamriel Gone from the Nexus?

phoenixdownn

TES5Edit can't because it's all just bytes of information streamed together as one long chain of data. So there is no way to know what it should have been to start with.

Good to know...., i learn every day, this was the 1st thing i did with CoT3, loading it in Tes5 with all my other lighting mods just to see if there was any problem, i've got 0 error or conflict .

well feeling idiot, after posting my result but you know.......

well, playing with CoT3 and so far so good

thanks for the info

@@

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sharlikran, out of interest --not criticism-- why does TES5Edit not detect this sort of corruption caused by Snip? Another question, if you re-save the ESM (first converted to ESP) using the CK, would that not solve the problem?

Thanks for your work on this! This mod is worth it.

Snotgurg, on 01 Apr 2013 - 14:45, said:

Sharlikran, out of interest --not criticism-- why does TES5Edit not detect this sort of corruption caused by Snip? Another question, if you re-save the ESM (first converted to ESP) using the CK, would that not solve the problem?

Thanks for your work on this! This mod is worth it.

Dunno about the TES5Edit issue, but I remember reading that editing in Snip, at least the previous versions before 4.4.0.a (like what jjc seems to have done) causes you to lose info (around 1-9 bytes) from the file at random. When you resave in the CK the CK fills in that info with null bytes or its own info-- which likely isn't what the modder intended at first and thus corrupts the mod (bad data). So no, resaving in the CK is not sufficient to solve the problem. Of course, Sharlikran can answer this better, so I defer to him in the details.

ETA: Found the relevant post here: http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1399944-wipz-tesvsnip-44a/page__view__findpost__p__21489694

Yes the new 4.4.0.xxxx, has had a lot of work done on the compression. However, it's far from being finished. If you have duplicate FormIDs, and you choose to fix that with the authomted feature it changes all of them because there is currently no way to specify which duplications should be changed and which should remain the same as they were.

If you copy things from one plugin to the other then the FormID is all messed up. The plugin might have 00 for Skyrim, 01 for Update, and 02 for an ESM leaving the plugin to be 03, but Snip assigns it to be 01. You can change some of the main FormIDs and TES5Edit will update the references, but depending on the situation the only way to fix it is to change them all one by one manually. If you renumber them it doesn't matter, but when you need them to be the same it's a pain.

You can add a master but TESVSnip doesn't update the FormID numbers. So you add Update.esm and another master and all the numbers still start with 01. TES5Edit will change all the FormIDs and references. However, TES5Edit can only do it right if your plugin was perfect to begin with.

So basically, say someone took these plugins, copied more stuff into it, and then changed the ESM flag with Wrye Bash, copied more stuff to other plugins all using Snip, then tried to load them in the CK that would take it from bad to worse.

The CK would error like mad and it wouldn't actually assign the FormID numbers correctly. It would have no idea what to do, all the 01 FormID numbers might need to point to 02 or 03 but they won't. Because of that the CK may or may not remove some of them because to the CK they point to nothing unless that exact FormID exists in Update.esm. Any out of order subrecords would probably be stripped from the plugin by the CK which I have seen happen mainly with weapon and armor mods.

So, yeah, you don't just load it in the CK and cross your fingers. You don't use Wrye Bash to turn the ESM flag off and on, and you don't use TESVSnip to fix it. You use TES5Edit, Sort Masters, Clean Masters, (one or the other, maybe neither it depends) manually update the FormIDs, and then when it's all perfect, you load it in the CK, save it, and then look at it some more to see if it's right. You can also use TES5Edit to compare a mod with another one using the "Compare to.." option from the context menu.

So TES5Edit has a lot of tools to get things back to normal. I'm at work for now but I'll have time today to double check it all and see how I can get it to jjc71.

Edited by Sharlikran

Thanks jj! I got 3.0 as soon as it went up, been using it since and I'm very pleased, amazing work. I only heard about this apparent problem with TESVSnip later on Saturday night, but my game's still OK. Hoping that'll still be the case by the time the update comes around :)

Thanks for helping out get this fixed Sharlikran!

Thanks jj! I got 3.0 as soon as it went up, been using it since and I'm very pleased, amazing work. I only heard about this apparent problem with TESVSnip later on Saturday night, but my game's still OK. Hoping that'll still be the case by the time the update comes around :smile:

Thanks for helping out get this fixed Sharlikran!

Actually, no. No. Just no. Your game's hosed, I'm afraid. The problems may not be apparent now but at some point, they will be. Bad data doesn't create good data.

JJ has come back and posted comment on his facebook page that he is begining to rectify the error today. BTW, I have this question. I did get the BOSS message that the ESM is corrupt, but in some of the numerous comments I think JJ mentioned that it is only a version number issue and so I continues with my play and so far have not encountered issues...

But looking at the comments above, there is a probability that I may have issues...any idea on what problems may be expected? Save bloats? game freeze? CTDs?

Figured I'd put this here from JJ for posterity:

UPDATE: I had a wonderful Easter Sunday and Monday with the family who I owed my full attention to after 'going missing' on them for the past two months and the best part of last year due to modding. When your wife looks you sternly in the face on a Easter Sunday morning after (me) having no sleep and says 'No more!', then you know what needs to be done.

So, I want to start off by saying thank you to all of you who have 'had my back' and have supported me via comments and messages. You are the reason I created this mod. You are the reason I've invested so much time into this community because I am one of you. However, a small minority feel that I am obliged to fulfill their needs. The hardline is that I am not obliged to do anything and this has only reinforced my decision to leave my modding endeavors behind me. I realize that I, as well as other modders put themselves in the public eye and in doing so are open to criticism. I accept that as par for the course. You take the rough with the smooth, as we all do in life.

So, its Tuesday morning here in the UK. My attention is set firmly on delivering a worry free COT3 to you all. There was never a chance I would just leave things as they are. COT is my baby, my work of art and my tribute to a great game and a great gaming community. I care about its legacy. It will be discovered and used for years to come. I know all this. So suggestions that I've walked away are completely misguided.

After this, I will be commencing work on a 3D RPG Indie Game entitled 'The Last Paragon' along with other modders, but I will always support COT regardless of what else I may be doing.

So, once I've finished this message, I will get to work on delivering this mod to you. I apologize for the long message but I felt I needed to express my views. Again, I want to say thank you to everyone who has supported me, it meant a lot.

As for what it might do to your saved game, I would bet on any of the above that you mentioned. Best to roll back to a previous save without CoT3 and wait for the fixed version. :smile: