Nexus site is painfully slow and getting worse...

Drax8

Well I am glad to see that I'm not the only member experiencing this. Site is SHOCKINGLY slow this evening and it's not just tonight either. Over the past week the performance of the site has been flaky and it's really sad to see. I'll be honest, this is the main reason I will not upgrade to premium.

I understand that the nexus network is a business but if you want customers then some work needs to be done to improve the situation.

I only hope it gets better in the days to come because right now (19:40 BST) it is practically unusuable, (even the NMM login times out!)

Did an overseas cable burst or something in the Atlantic?

I'm sitting here in Germany, right next to The Isle, and I'm not experiencing any of the issues you're describing.

Granted, I'm not visiting Skyrim Nexus that often, usually sticking to Oblivion Nexus rather, but it was reported that one was making issues either, and to me it still isn't.

I did experience being temporarily logged out "once" a couple days ago, meaning I reloaded the page and was logged in again. As I never actively logged out to begin with, I didn't bother to login again but just reloaded instead, knowing full well it was a hickup. Also I got logged out in the background while typing a comment response exactly "twice" up to now, and each time I could just copy my text, refresh the mod page, paste it in again and send successfully.

But I'm not coming even remotely close to all the issues you're experiencing. The forums are responding lightning fast and the sites only very rarely hick-up. Not a single one of the downloads I did of late timed out or ran in an error, or was taking longer than a second, for that instant.

I can't say for the NMM though. Having uninstalled everything from the Windows7 Virtual Machine by now, in preparition to migrate to another MacBook and clean this one up, I wasn't able to make use of the NMM for at least a year now, or even give it a try.

I'm just wondering what's able to make things so bad to you and doesn't even remotely touch me in the process. I could imagine overseas communication issues, the burst cable only being a metaphor, of course, but a broken route, a gateway down or something, all this could serve as possible explanation. The many 502s you're reporting just confirm that theory. But it depends on where the "site" servers are located and what routes they take out into every part of the world to you. We all know where the "file" servers are, of course, but where're the "sites" at?

edit:

I understand that the nexus network is a business but if you want customers then some work needs to be done to improve the situation.

If you'd be paying by now and everybody else was as well, you were allowed to call it a business. As you aren't, it's still considered a fan-site more than anything, offering all services free of charge.

Edited by DrakeTheDragon

I've been starting to have this issue in the past few weeks. I'm not sure when it began, but it slowly got worse until it became very noticeable, and then very problematic. Now it is more common for a page to not load for me than to load. When they do load, however, they load quickly, so it's just a matter of refreshing until I get lucky. In my experience it also goes in spurts; for a few seconds the site will be completely and perfectly responsive even across multiple tabs and loading of large images. Then I will be unable to connect to any page on the website for another few seconds, typically a longer period than the functional periods.

Were the site not so intuitive or if I hadn't had the years of experience with it I have now, this would be a serious deterrent from using the site. Thankfully, I have always found the site very effective at what it does, so I painfully push through these connection issues. I've just assumed it had to do with more load than the servers can handle and would be fixed in time, but it has continued for a while now and only gotten worse.

For reference, I live in the suburban Midwestern USA, center of the country. My internet is absolutely smooth and perfect otherwise, the issues only appear with the Nexus site. It also only appears to be an issue with the main site, not the forums.

EDIT:
Downloading the mods has actually not been much of a problem for me, though sometimes the download would fail part-way through. Once I can get the mod downloading, it downloads fast, it's just getting through the site to the download link that is difficult. I use the Nexus Mod Manager, by the way. (Sometimes when starting up the NMM fails to log in to the Nexus website, but I just try it again and it works.) Watching the NMM download tab, I can see it shuffles through servers (trying five times on each one) until it finds a download server that is responding.

Edited by Omnimmotus

The problem i noticed is the pages are ok, except when i get 502 bad gateway. The content loading timer can take ages to load or does not work.

Is that controled by flash or is it a javascript. I updated java to the latest version and my flash is set to auto update. I do use ad block addons for firefox.

They are switched off for all nexusmod sites. As i am not always on Premium Membership i only do it when i have spare money.

It would be nice they let know they are aware of possible problems with the site. Maybe they can add a site status page.

DrakeTheDragon: if it keeps getting bad for all of us, we are moving to your house.

Yeah, the nexus is feeling insanely slow over the last few days, it's driving me nuts.I just keep getting 502 errors constantly. Hell, even the NMM login timed out 4 times before I could FINALLY get in to be able to deactivate a mod that's screwing up the scripts in my game. I really hope this stuff gets fixed soon.