200 years in the future? I think not.

RandianHero

No one can know for sure. Maybe vault dwellers even know the concept of clean, wastelanders probably thinks just looking clean is a weirdness signal... who knows?

Anyway the idea of bathing in contaminated water is not sound. People have so much to concern about surviving slavers and raiders (not to mention the other perils) and just to maintain the little purifiers claims for any scrap metal one can put the hands on. Masonry? very unlike...

As a whole the wastelands are believable... as pointed before, if the scenery have a sin, maybe it is for being too much "benign" for human beings.

For the mutants... well in the lore they aren't only fruit of the radiation (although it may and do cause mutations, those ones are sterile and exists by a genetic program and FEV (come on, we are dealing with SciFi and as so it is even of the hardcore kind)), the other critchies like radscorpions, giant ants and roaches and etc are much more fiction driven, yet they were there since the first fallout.

PS: just a thought: fallout would lack a lot of years 50 without some giant mutated insectoids and crustaceans :)

yeah, the intresting thing about Fallout is that not only the pre-war society look much like the 1950's concept of the future, but the post apacolyptia also looks like a 1950's concept of the future. Huge irradiated insects outlasting man kind, the only thing to eat is freeze dried canned and boxed goods because they lasted forever, and robots turn killer machines because of the nukes... it stays so in line with the 1950s concept that it has its own intresting outlook which makes for inconsistancies and controdicttion to reality forgivable.

Well, theres alot of strong points proven there. although I do greatly admire the way that they took the 1950 retro-future style, pushed it into the apocalypse and turned it into the dark, evil, dirty world whilst still maintaining the style! I mean look at things like the Potectrons and Robo-Brains, thats how they drew robots in the 1950's and here Fallout has taken that design and made it seriouse. The Plasma guns and Energy weapons are all what people would imagine them to be like in 1950.

Even the crashed alien, the alien blaster and Firelance are 1950's styled.

As for the irradiated area, I still think there should be more plant life, even if its just grey, struggeling irradiated areas of grass or a tree with brown-grey leves thats been twisted because of the mutation. Its just that people shouldnt be able to survive 200 years with... Nothing... like they do in fallout and I think thats the main argument.

well, that is arguable

if you are living day to day trying to stay alive, then your sense to be 'clean' fades considerably. Look at third world countries... they are not exactly 'clean' or 'tidy'. granted, places like Megaton, afreu, and other wastelander settlements should look better as individuals whom decide to make camp would create more perminent structures and improve upon the old.

If i understand it well, 3rd country people are dirty and unclean, hmmmm .... seems to me that u need to travel a bit more.

But about the topic. Some places should be clean, Rivet city has even a ladie that work for the city to clean the place. On the other side places like Big Town and Megatown are, of course, chaotic and dirty.

Ohk as A Survivalist THe argument agrees thet people living in a made up camp would strive to be cleaner but as the place doesnt get any dirtier i can not complain the lacking of foliage i do however have a problem with. 3rd world countrys are only dirty because cleanliness is not as high as survival on the list of things to do today if you had to find food,shelter, a place to live ,ammo , a decent gun, avoid slavers,raiders,mutants and giant irradiated insects all whilst staying free from radiation yourself are u gonna take a shower first?

Archived