⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Mod file too large, download fails?

Tazling

I've been trying to acquire a monster mod (the Textures Upscaled 2x) and so far have had 4 fails. I tried twice through the Vortex App link, and twice with Manual. I get almost the whole 14GB (ouch) but then right near the end of the DL, it fails with "network error." I'm using a Chrome-based browser (Brave) and have read that Chrome can have some issues with large files. One option is to try wget.

I tried to derive the DL URL and tried wget, but it threw a permission denied at me; there may be some handshaking between the browser with its confirmed Vortex login and the backend, I dunno. I don't have any other browser on the gaming pc right now so will have to shop around.

I've wasted tens of GB of my monthly bandwidth allocation on this, sigh. Frustrating. If anyone has a recommended workaround for very large mod file downloads, I'm all ears.

Otherwise my new mods installed with Vortex seem to be working OK or at least not breaking the game :-) I've learned how to use Console, set up voice commands in VoiceAttack so I don't need keyboard at all, and I'm having a good time :-) really would like those better textures though.

It appears that the author has listed on the description page the exact breakdown of what mods and in which order that they used to arrive at the package they have uploaded. Perhaps instead of trying to download a large pre-built package, use their information to build your own out of the individual smaller mods?

Thanks for the suggestion! Hand crafting it is a bit intimidating for a n00b but I will give it a try.

I haven't yet figured out whether Vortex is taking care of mod order for me (I know from ETS2 experience that order is crucial). It seems to be re-ordering my mod list on the fly as I add more, so I think it's smart enough to hold my hand and protect me from ordering grief... but not quite sure. I haven't found any manual re-ordering option in Vortex yet, which reinforces that impression.

This is my first visit to Skyrim (never played it pancake) and I have to say it's quite the experience... the world feels huge, and when I look up world-maps online, it really is pretty darned big. I've explored all of Assassin's Creed Ancient Egypt (the tourism version) which felt pretty expansive, but Skyrim seems even bigger and in VR :-) It's not as pretty as AC Egypt or Greece (earlier technology) but what the heck -- it's scenic, atmospheric, and very fully modelled. Now what I need is a really good run-in-place locomotion solution so I can get some exercise while exploring :-)