Fallout 4 CTD HELP

Kenway83

Both but mainly vanilla.

I've been looking into how many settlers I sould have because my charisma is at 100 for some reason (I have no mod to do this as far as I'm aware) it's just in many settlements I have over 80 settlers.

Have you come across this?

I don't think this is the CTD problem because it can CTD when I'm in a settlemnt with just 20 settlers.

Each individual mod maker makes their mods against the BASE game only.

Throw 20 of them together - with no prior knowledge any of them ever existed - you increase your chances of a conflict exponentially. It's like taking ideas of people from Washington (state), Texas, Florida, Maine and North Dakota and expecting them to all be in sync - they won't. If they are, you better play the lottery that day.

Here's what I do.

1) I create a game - no mods whatsoever. I play it up to the point I'm ready to take the elevator to leave Vault 111. This is my "test" save - I use it to test the combination of other mods I might want to add to see if there might be a conflict. It's not the "perfect" base, but it is close enough to help find/identify the source of 95% of mod conflicts.

2) FO4Edit. This is used to check for conflicts between mod .ESP/.ESM or .ESL files. If multiple mods (2 or more) try to change the same thing - this will show you - and you will need to fix that conflict if necessary (that is if someone else hasn't already in the form of a conflict resolution patch).

3) Mod Organizer 2. This is a mod manager, which has an "Experimental" feature that lets you compare your entire load order for file conflicts - by looking into the .BA2 files as well as any loose files.

I'll say this, your issue seems tied to the fact that nearly 1/2 the mods in your load order affect settlements.

Disable ALL of those, and my guess is your specific CTD's disappear. It's only when you find the conflicts that exist between 2 or more of those that you'll find the cause of those CTD's - which isn't the game itself. With no specifics to go on - your load order becomes moot. Nobody knows what CTD's to even look for - because you never described them.

HeyYou, that's what I thought something is'nt right there but from what I'm seeing ingame it's not causing any problems, the game runs no different with 80 settlers to 20 not even a drop in FPS.

I have alot more space in GPU and RAM memory and even the CPU tops out at 75% in all cores and as I said before the CTD happens randomly like just now I was in Sanctury building bridges fron roof tops to give the settlers a way to get down as I can't find a mod to stop teleporting on roof tops but it did'nt CTD until I went to remove the wood roof for a better one.

My point is I can be in a settlement with just 20 settlers remove a bin and CTD so even though I see your point I don't believe it's linked to the CTD problem.

I don't know if I'm right but it seems to CTD more often when removing items that have been there a while, like there's a problem with removing it from script.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Fraquar, I see your logic in having a test save but I didn't start to mod the game until I was about 25% through the game and I had the same problem with CTD as I do know with mods and I have read many posts saying about CTD problems from people that have not modded there game at all.

I use FO4Edit with every mod I install along with Vortex and I will try Mod Organizer 2 now and see what it comes up with.

I have done a complete reinstall of Fallout 4 before (twice) and the same random CTD while building (mainly removing item's) happens if the mods are there or not so I'm led to believe it is a game problem.

I will report back after trying Mod Organizer 2.

After much testing I've come to the conclution that CTD is down to 3 things,

1) ini file settings (And no I'm not talking about modded ini file settings even though that can be a problem but to get a game working right you HAVE TO mod, edit and TEST changes on YOUR PC.)

2) Bad mods (I'm not going in to this one as I don't want to piss anyone off.)

3) Bethesda (They are great at game idea's but crap at making game's.)