Sheikah Armor + Clothing mod... okay to upload? Advice?

SunlitEarth

Well Pipi, you did misunderstood I guess. if the author write it is okay or write, do what you want with this stuff, there is no need to ask them again. It is stated at each separate site at Nexus for each and every mod. The authors I do contact have not edited these settings as they clearly missed that

Let me explain:

Old mods that are repacked are not stated as the default state is: Do not change nor reupload this crap. So the author must edit these settings if they do not agree and some may have missed that. Damn idiotic default setting if you ask me and that counts to all stuff that gets uploaded. The default state will be: Do not change nor reupload this crap... :wink:

Edited by Pellape

I'm thankful for the opinions, it's helpful to see others' views =)

I know that it can be frustrating to deal with people like me so i appreciate others taking the time. Of course i understand fully about the creators on the Nexus and permission, they worked hard on their creations, and it's not their problem if someone many years later decided to use their stuff to make something and is asking permission long after they've retired and can give it lol.

But, I wasn't giving enough thought to having made something based on another game in the first place. I was focusing on seeing the copyright thing in one way, that if it isn't using the actual models ripped straight from said game and no one is making money off of it, that it was fine. And I guess my reasoning was something along the lines of "But everything is based on/comes from something else! Like, who holds the copyright for Pants?"

I was thinking of it like fan art of something, but the file itself actually leaving my computer and going up publicly is probably not safe, like Striker pointed out. If i wanted to treat it like fan art and just show pictures, i'd probably be fine there, but the second uploading/downloading actual files comes into play, then there could be problems. So I get it now. It's like how I wouldn't download movies from torrent sites because I know for a fact that my Internet Provider IS monitoring such things and i definitely wouldn't wanna deal with that. I was only considering creators from the Nexus, because those are actual persons with feelings, and not 'creators' as in the corporation behind the thing i was basing my mod on, even though they're technically the same, except corporations don't have feelings. They just make the games i love and i throw money at them, that was all the consideration i was willing to give THEM lol.

So I've embarrassed myself publicly now with something that should've been easy, i do apologize for that. I suppose if i DID get permission from Nexus creators, i could upload IF i were to change things enough that it didn't look so close to the copyrighted characters, but that seems silly since it looking like that game is what i like about it.

At least I've learned from my mistake now. Thank you, kind humans on the internet =)

Our ISP's do the opposite in Sweden. They delete the logs as soon as the authorities asks for them and say that they are sorry, they are already gone. They are very public with it with no regrets and we also have GDPR which the ISP's are pointing at. My ISP is very clear within this subject as they delete the logs. Do check how your ISP is dealing with it.

I do not think you should bother to much about publishing your mod really. Do ask nexus for their opinion or just do it. What will happen? From which planet are you? Will they torture you for doing it or burn you alive? ;)

I'm thankful for the opinions, it's helpful to see others' views =)
I know that it can be frustrating to deal with people like me so i appreciate others taking the time. Of course i understand fully about the creators on the Nexus and permission, they worked hard on their creations, and it's not their problem if someone many years later decided to use their stuff to make something and is asking permission long after they've retired and can give it lol.
But, I wasn't giving enough thought to having made something based on another game in the first place. I was focusing on seeing the copyright thing in one way, that if it isn't using the actual models ripped straight from said game and no one is making money off of it, that it was fine. And I guess my reasoning was something along the lines of "But everything is based on/comes from something else! Like, who holds the copyright for Pants?"
I was thinking of it like fan art of something, but the file itself actually leaving my computer and going up publicly is probably not safe, like Striker pointed out. If i wanted to treat it like fan art and just show pictures, i'd probably be fine there, but the second uploading/downloading actual files comes into play, then there could be problems. So I get it now. It's like how I wouldn't download movies from torrent sites because I know for a fact that my Internet Provider IS monitoring such things and i definitely wouldn't wanna deal with that. I was only considering creators from the Nexus, because those are actual persons with feelings, and not 'creators' as in the corporation behind the thing i was basing my mod on, even though they're technically the same, except corporations don't have feelings. They just make the games i love and i throw money at them, that was all the consideration i was willing to give THEM lol.
So I've embarrassed myself publicly now with something that should've been easy, i do apologize for that. I suppose if i DID get permission from Nexus creators, i could upload IF i were to change things enough that it didn't look so close to the copyrighted characters, but that seems silly since it looking like that game is what i like about it.
At least I've learned from my mistake now. Thank you, kind humans on the internet =)

I don't learn one single thing of value by doing things "right" (in fact thinking that I'm doing things "right" can lead me into great danger). My most valued and useful possessions are my mistakes.

What always blows me away is how many people are willing to freely share something I find of such value. Trust me, I wouldn't "know" half of what I do about modding Oblivion if people hadn't shared their "mistakes" here (well OK ... maybe they were looking for "solutions" for "problems" but invariably it was some sort of mistake that got the ball rolling).

To learn to see things from another's perspective is not an innate human characteristic, it's an acquired behaviour. No need for embarrassment.

Lets see what happens in detail really when you retrieve and send packages. I am a former Communication Technician and worked with Communication between 2010-2019 and before that as support technician.

TCP/IP is a protocol, invented in the beginning of the 70's, mainly for Unix and it was made in a way to let a package take different routes, in case one route gets destroyed, as it was built for USA military in the first place and universities and became in use 1975 in Arpanet and it is used in layer 3 and 4 in the OSI model that have 7 layers.

1. Layer 1 is the cable
  2. Layer 2 is the local network with hardware Mac addresses
  3. Layer 3 IP (Routing)
  4. layer 4 TCP.
  5. Layer 5-7 well it is less important for this monologue

TCP = Transmission Control Protocoll (Transporting packages)

IP = Internet Protocol (From and to)

When you send your package, it will jump to your ISP but also jump through others Routers and Firewalls and they might store the logs in the firewalls, not in the routers as they do not have the space for it, well they do have logs, but about the router, but who knows what is saved in every Firewall. The end, the one that retrieves your request or rather package is also able to store it in its firewall logs. So even if my ISP deletes their logs, doesn't mean all traces of my package will be gone as it might be somewhere still, with the sender IP and retriever IP but when my ISP is asked: Who had this IP 01:26 2021-02-17 they answer, sorry we do not have that info saved. They can't see it was Pekka.

Its the same if you activate the tracer in your phone and you can see in which building it is after it got stolen - No one can do a bloody thing about it as you must prove which person that has it before the Police can help you.

Edited by Pellape

But it IS Nintendo. They have the big bucks, even more than my lil ISP. They could track me down. They might even send a team of their own Elite Corporate Ninja Assassins to eliminate me. Just to be poetic, they could have said ninja assassins cosplay in Official Nintendo Sheikah Stealth suits while doing it o_O

Well, if you really want an official response in regards to whether releasing something is fine with the rules, you should ask one of the Community Managers about that. They decide, when things are unclear.

As a rule of thumb, if an author already made a statement about their permissions, be it in the popup or written in their description or readme or even a text file somewhere, and said statement can be reproduced when asked, permission is usually considered granted. You definitely don't need to contact and ask those authors again who already used diverse means to publicly give their okay, unless you really want to make sure your intended use is also covered by this or you're unclear about some of what they say.

A simple mistake in interpretation of permission terms won't automatically lead to some sort of punishment. In most cases only the file page in question will be removed, or sometimes you'll also be asked to just remove the infringing contents yourself instead.

So that's it basically regarding the official terms and protection of copyright. However, especially in cases of so-called fan work, you'll also often get into another legal territory, where brands and names are concerned. These cases, however, will usually not be treated as a violation of the terms. You do release your work, however, on the basis of a single request from the brand holder leading to its removal from the site. The large MERP project of the past coming into mind here, trying to recreate the entire world of the LOTR franchise in the Oblivion game, which was completely removed from the scene once the franchise's lawyers showed up to intervene. Fan work of any kind is always on the merit of implied permission, which can always be denied by the franchises at any time. It'll usually not result in much more than the removal of the work, especially if no money is involved. But don't quote me on that.

But that's just me telling from personal experience now. Questions like these are way above my pay grade, and I'm only responding here because Oblivion modding is my thing. You seem to be a very talented newcomer to me. It'd be a shame losing your (future) nice quality work due to only a misunderstanding of the rules.

I create a lot of random things inspired by an even bigger lot of random sources myself, well when my free time allows for it. It's just never a 1:1 copy of an existing work or design. That's just not my thing. I want my own. Doesn't mean much of it isn't still looking very close to the source material in many points.

If you're afraid of Nintendo intervening should you label your work with the LOZ or Sheikah name, why not making it something else instead, perhaps even more close to the lore (I don't like that term myself, but hear me out) and call it Akaviri design, or whatever. It is in its basis just asian and ninja designs after all. Would just need to get rid of the potentially trademarked logo then. It's already no 100% identical match anyways due to the different game design. A few texture changes here and there, and only those "in the know" would be able to draw the connection still. But that's just what "I" would be doing, and for different reasons, too.

Talented is just the forename. It is extremely well done, but you will be publicly burned, on a stake at Norman's Square in Stockholm... ;)

Well honestly. This is what you need to do the be 100% sure that your work will cause no problems. Send your pictures and questions about it to [email protected] and they will answer you fast. I have opened some cases there and I get answered almost immediately.

Hmmm... so maybe if i change the texture, i could do just the armor, the one in the very first picture of the thread. That's the one i actually care about lol. And ninjas/Akaviri ARE pretty cool, even if it's not what i originally had in mind.

If i were to replace the symbol with something like this, would that be acceptable? It's very obviously like the normal dragon symbol in Oblivion, but isn't that okay? Like, it's lore-friendly... It was the Akaviri who created the Red Dragon symbol, I think. (Ignore the path points lol, i use gimp's path tool a lot instead of my graphics tablet because that makes my computer burst into flames :laugh: )

qPsW77n.pnghttp://www.imperial-library.info/sites/default/files/pgtte_v3_empire_dragon.jpg

Or I suppose i should come up with something different that doesn't look like anything else, like just not even LOOK at anything else and make up something entirely from scratch. I'll give it some more thought!

Edited by Pipistrello

The license for the Oblivion Construction Set allows the use of any of the Oblivion game assets in your own creation of mods for Oblivion.

Nice looking rendition, uses the vanilla game theme with your own spin :thumbsup: