Need Help with Blizzard spell Killing player

imfamousfoofy

So I have been working on a long list of new mods one of which is an overhaul to the master spells in skyrim. Now the problem I have reached is that everytime I increase the damage done by the blizzard spell not only does it kill the enemies but it also kills the player. So I am trying to find a way to allow the player to survive. Now I have noticed if I am wearing frost resistant gear the damage is less. Now Normally I would just put on frost resistant gear and move on but the problem is that you need 100-200% frost resistant gear in order to survive the spell. Now that sucks because that also means that you can no longer be damaged by any frost spells. Which is game breaking to me. A dragon can frost breath you point blank range and you get like 0 damage which sucks.

So what I was wondering is if someone can help me with a script that I can put on the blizzard spell so that when you cast it, a temporary buff of 200% frost resistance is added to the player, so the player doesn't die and then once the spell ends, the buff is removed from the player. Please help me because i have been at this for a few months and its a lot of work in so that one spell ruins the mod. Thanks in advance.

@ grimybunyip: about the frost resistance being capped. I have no idea. Just as I've been playing I sometimes have 100% frost resistance and I still die and sometimes i don't. I don't really know.

@ brotherbob: about the condition to the magic effect what exactly do you mean?

Every spell has at least one associated Magic Effect. The Blizzard spell has two Magic Effects, but the one we really need to concentrate on is called "FrostDamageHazardArea40". To edit it, go into the Magic Effects in the Object Window, and find that entry and double-click it. Under Target Conditions, right-click and click "New". If warnings appear, ignore them and hit "Yes to All". A new window appears. Click "INVALID", and a new window appears. In the drop-down menu, choose "Player", and hit OK. Now, change Comparison to "!=", and hit OK. Hit OK to close that big Magic Effect window. Save your work and see if this solution works, because I'm not sure. NOTE: You can also try adding another function as well to ensure that it doesn't kill followers. Set the Condition Function to GetInFaction, click "INVALID" and choose "CurrentFollowerFaction" in the drop-down, and choose "!=" as the comparison.

@brotherbob: I tried what you said but a peculiar thing happened the spell doesn't even cast now. like you can cast it but the blizzard hazard doesn't appear or happen; just like a small explosion that looks purely aesthetic considering it didn't do any damage to anything. After i removed the conditions it works again. Well it still kills the player but the hazard shows up now. Any other ideas? Cause as of now the only way to survive the spell, not including super frost resistant armor and god mode, is to take a bunch of healing potions while your life is slowly being drained... which kind of sucks. :/

I'm taking a shot in the dark, but is "No Recast" checked on the Magic Effect? If that doesn't work, a script might be best.

Event OnEffectStart(Actor akTarget, Actor akCaster)
akCaster.ModAV("FrostResist", 200)
endEvent

Event OnEffectFinish(Actor akTarget, Actor akCaster)
akCaster.ModAV("FrostResist", -200)
endEvent

There it is; it should work.

@brotherbob: I tried what you said but a peculiar thing happened the spell doesn't even cast now. like you can cast it but the blizzard hazard doesn't appear or happen; just like a small explosion that looks purely aesthetic considering it didn't do any damage to anything. After i removed the conditions it works again. Well it still kills the player but the hazard shows up now. Any other ideas? Cause as of now the only way to survive the spell, not including super frost resistant armor and god mode, is to take a bunch of healing potions while your life is slowly being drained... which kind of sucks. :/

That's because the Blizzard is a cast-on-self spell, when it is successfully cast, it spawn the hazard (the whirling ice storm as you see). Placing the condition directly in "FrostDamageHazard40" magic effect like that means the condition always return false when cast by the player, meaning it will never spawn the blizzard.

To prevent the spell from hitting the player, you need to add the condition to the spell "HazardFrostBlizzardSpell03" (a SPELL, not MAGIC EFFECT). This is the spell that is cast by the hazard spawn by Blizzard.

imfamousfoofy, on 15 Apr 2013 - 16:51, said:

everytime I increase the damage done by the blizzard spell not only does it kill the enemies but it also kills the player.

I'm at work and can't look at Blizzard right now but this may be due to the area bug.

There is a bug with the area field in spells. When you open your spell and double click on a spell effect with an area (to change its damage or just to look at it) its area is set to 0 when you Ok out of the dialog box. And a spell with a target of Self and an area of 0 will hit yourself. To fix it, just open the spell and close it again, or uncheck the auto calculate field so you can fill in the area field manually.

If it's not that... well Blizzard is a bugged mess (its damage to enemies is actually reduced by your own frost resist for one) so I would recommend remaking it from scratch. Hell, if you do that, you can actually make it follow the player.

Edited by EnaiSiaion