Won't start with DLC

Your equipment specs exceed mine and I run the game on High without a problem. I'm really at a loss as to what could be the problem. When you changed the .ini to limit the CPU to two cores, did you change the one in the same folder you have the .exe in? If you did, you changed the wrong one. I'm not sure of the path in Windows 7, but it would be the same folder that has the Saves. Also, having the game loaded in the Programs File will cause problems. You would have to run FOMM as an administrator.

I can't run it on high because I'm afraid it'll crash. Early in my system's life, I was able to run it in full perfectly...

Which exe? The fallout launcher?

I installed it in a place other than x86.

I'll try running FOMM as an administrator.

Loganastephens - Hello!

"Which exe? The fallout launcher?"

Yes, M48A5 is checking that you applied the multi core fix to the correct .ini as it's common to change the Fallout_default.ini in the Fallout 3 folder by mistake.

The correct .ini to apply the fix to is:

For XP:

My Documents\My Games\Fallout3\

For Vista & Win7:

Documents\My Games\Fallout3

The file you want will be called:

FALLOUT.ini

Open the .ini with Notepad & change this line:

bUseThreadedAI=0

to:

bUseThreadedAI=1

& insert this line under it:

iNumHWThreads=2

Save & close your ini.

But that fix is for freezing while in game, does not normally stop Fallout from loading.

Are you getting any kind of error message on crashing?

I do know that sometimes Fallout 3's need for Games for Windows live can cause trouble, try a disabler for that.

If you have FOMM, there's a built in one in there under Tools - Install Tweaker. If you don't use FOMM, there's one here you could try:

http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/1086

Hope this helps!

Prensa

Hi guys,

Same problem here I think. I just installed Fallout 3 from a disc (not the Steam version), game of the year edition, including all the DLCs and the app crashes before I can even reach the launch screen.

Windows 7, 8Go Ram, 4 cores, GeForce GT 660 1.5 RAM. Not a single mod installed yet. If I read you correctly, Prensa, that means my rig exceeds what the game can handle... and I had no .ini i, my files.

For the moment, I've uninstalled everything (installation was bizarre too, like it was trying to install 3 times simultaneously) and I'll try again tomorrow, see if that .ini tweak you suggest may do the trick for me.

One question though: how do you disable game for Windows?

Many thanks! Cheers

Hoamaii,

When you are installing the game, you will come to a window that asks if you want a default install or custom install. Choose the custom install and in the pop up box, type in an install path of your choice. A lot of people use C:\Bethesda Softworks. During installation, this folder will be created and Fallout 3 will be installed in that folder. After installation, you will have to go to the Bethesda website and download and install update 1.7. Then you will have to go to the Games for Windows Live website to download the newest version of GFWL. There are mods available at the Fallout Nexus to disable GFWL. You have to have the current version to run the game, but you can disable the other parts. Many people just use FOSE, since a lot of mods need FOSE to operate properly. There is also a feature in the Fallout Mod Manager to disable GFWL.

Are you getting any kind of error message on crashing?

I do know that sometimes Fallout 3's need for Games for Windows live can cause trouble, try a disabler for that.

If you have FOMM, there's a built in one in there under Tools - Install Tweaker. If you don't use FOMM, there's one here you could try:

http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/1086

Hope this helps!

Prensa

Here's the error message I get.

http://i.imgur.com/2UlHWyE.png

I got that even after disabling G4WL

Hoamaii,

When you are installing the game, you will come to a window that asks if you want a default install or custom install. Choose the custom install and in the pop up box, type in an install path of your choice. A lot of people use C:\Bethesda Softworks. During installation, this folder will be created and Fallout 3 will be installed in that folder. After installation, you will have to go to the Bethesda website and download and install update 1.7. Then you will have to go to the Games for Windows Live website to download the newest version of GFWL. There are mods available at the Fallout Nexus to disable GFWL. You have to have the current version to run the game, but you can disable the other parts. Many people just use FOSE, since a lot of mods need FOSE to operate properly. There is also a feature in the Fallout Mod Manager to disable GFWL.

I did install it in another place, but I can't find the update patch on the website...

Here is a link to the main page of Fallout: Welcome to the Official Site http://fallout.bethsoft.com/eng/downloads/videos.html

Look for the rectangle with "Updates" in it. Left click in the rectangle and it will take you to the page where you can download the update.

When I download the update, is it automatic or do I have to do something with it?