NV's weird normal maps

nognow

Sure. Just use specular map as an alpha channel on normal maps.ÃÂ

I gave that as an example.

I meant to ask is there a way to combine those textures with existing ones or something.

I know how to convert metallic workflow to specular workflow, but there's still something missing; the diffuse always looks too dark and lacking detail. Like it's missing a layer of something

Apart from not being real PBR, I know next to nothing about FO4 texture system, you'll probably find tutorials on Yt about how to adapt them for FNV.

If I have to use PBR textures in FO3-FNV, I usually:
- take the AO and overlay it on the Albedo.
- use the Opacity to make the diffuse Alpha.
- use the Specular or the Roughness or a combination of both for the Normal Alpha.
- use the Emissive for the Glow Mask.
- use the Height for Parallax.
- use the Specular or the Roughness or a combination of both for EnvCube Mask.

Not every Textures are used every time. Filters and adjustments are often done in Photoshop - Gimp - Paint.net to make it work in the old rendering engine.

Edited by ExhalePit

Apart from not being real PBR, I know next to nothing about FO4 texture system, you'll probably find tutorials on Yt about how to adapt them for FNV.

- use the Specular or the Roughness or a combination of both for the Normal Alpha.

Not every Textures are used every time. Filters and adjustments are often done in Photoshop - Gimp - Paint.net to make it work in the old rendering engine.

From my research:

Albedo or (Albedo x AO) x Metal = diffuse

Albedo or (Albedo x AO) x Inv. Metal = spec

or via this method(slightly different results): https://marmoset.co/posts/pbr-texture-conversion/#metaltospec

Inv. Roughness = Glow

So that's obviously very straight forward and simple. But in practice, it doesn't look good in-game. Metals are too dark because the original meshes lean heavily on shaders.

Here's a comparison of a rendered model, and an in-game demo of this https://gamebanana.com/models/3666.

Aks1-n.png

Screen-Shot116.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sure. Just use specular map as an alpha channel on normal maps.

I noticed that most FO4 and even some NV normals have a flipped blue channel.

From what I know, the blue channel isn't used by either game.

What gives?