FPS Way Too High - Causes Freezing

GrayWolf04

In short, I had some graphics card issues that I resolved. Now, when playing Fallout 3, the game's framerate shoots up to about 120+. This causes the game to freeze a few seconds later. It didn't do this before and I don't know how to fix it. I'd prefer not to have a FPS limiter mod, since while outside, the FPS is around 25 to 30 FPS, which is the minimum I'd like. Any suggestions or ideas?

GrayWolf04 - Hello!

"This causes the game to freeze a few seconds later"

If you have a multi core computer then it could be the Fallout 3 multi core bug, Fallout 3 freezing almost always is down to this.

Fallout 3 has trouble with multi core computers, mainly with ones that have more than two cores & use hyperthreading.

There is a fix, you need to edit your Fallout 3 .ini file.

The one you want to change is:

For XP:

My Documents\My Games\Fallout3\

For Vista & Win7:

Documents\My Games\Fallout3

The file you want will be called:

FALLOUT.ini

Open the .ini with Notepad & change this line:

bUseThreadedAI=0

to:

bUseThreadedAI=1

& insert this line under it:

iNumHWThreads=2

Save & close your ini.

"I'd prefer not to have a FPS limiter mod, since while outside, the FPS is around 25 to 30 FPS, which is the minimum I'd like. "

Severe fluctuations in Fallout 3's frame rates can cause oddities, like micro stutter which is a strange speed up & slow down effect simillar to a damaged film.

Many people have experienced it, including me. There's a solution to that as well, Fallout 3 Stutter Remover:

http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/8886

I've used the FSR_4-0-7 version for ages & it's great.

That does several things, including an FPS cap, that allow Fallout 33 to run smoothly.

It has a customisable .ini that allows you to turn off/on many of it's features, including the FPS cap, as suits your needs.

Though I'd recommend using it's FPS cap as fluctuating FPS is a major cause of bumpy gameplay.

You can set the minimum FPS you want in Stutter Remover's .ini, it actually comes set to 30 FPS as default so that may suit you straight off. :)

If not, you can raise or lower to whatever works best for you.

Hope this helps!

Prensa

Thanks. I used to use that but stopped to get a better FPS. Trying it again now. I started the game, backed out, and set the minimum to 60 and the maximum to 70. The maximum cap worked by the looks of it, but the game still drops below 60 (all the way down to 25-30) out in the world, and even 20 when at a loading screen. The loading screen of course isn't a problem, but the wasteland FPS is. Edited by GrayWolf04