Nexusmods suggestion- hover definitions

DelaneyK

So this is technically already possible, but only on the forum side. I'm a little hesitant to use it though because there's a very real possibility that some acronyms mean different things in different games. A "cheat sheet" on the wiki might be a better way to go.

Why not a per game thing instead of global?

IE, if Skyrim has a mod abbreviated as CSCA, and Stardew Valley has one as CSCA, can't that info exist separately?

You just have to see in which Game Forum each CSCA is referencing on the mouseover.

Why can't it be done on the Game Site side of the website?

The other advantage to the wiki option is that anyone in the community can add to or update it. The acronym feature on the forums would require admins to manually add new phrases periodically, also it only works on the forum (I'd wager 90% of views are from the site side).

We've had people start their own Abbreviation Threads for Mods, and they always peter out, then get lost to obscurity

Guest deleted34304850

the only way that i see of combining the wiki with the specific game, is to make a sticky post in each game forum, advertising the abbreviation page for that game on the wiki.

that would be a lot of work, which would immediately make it a non-starter.

a wiki page is a decent idea as it could be updated by many rather than relying on the community managers/mods, but its a compromise that doesn't really fit the original idea, and as HTR says above, it would disappear into obscurity, pretty much as soon as it was live.

Unfortunately where this would be most useful, is on the site that Picky said it won't work.

such as the File Download page if a modder puts "Patch for My mod and CACO" where you could hover over CACO and find out what the heck that is.
Or in their stickies and Description page, because I got told off by a modder for asking what all the abbreviations stood for, and was basically told "If you don't know what they are, you don't need this" and to "Learn my abbreviations"

Sorry, I've got a million abbreviations in my head from Med School, I can't fit anymore