I've left WoW forever....so, Guild Wars 2, or Secret World?

Deleted472477User

Zewp, on 03 May 2013 - 04:54, said:

I found GW2 to be a major disappointment. I frequently encountered content-droughts while leveling, they try to force you to play in ways you don't enjoy and the 'end-game' doesn't even technically exist. To top it off, the end-game gear grind requires a lot of grinding, while the game's incredibly harsh anti-grind policy, Diminishing Returns, works against you in such a way that grinding is essentially impossible unless you're willing to spend 100s of hours grinding to get your Ascended gear. I recently went back to GW2 after not playing for a month and I was amazed at the loot drops I was receiving. Then out of the blue about 3 hours into playing my loot drops were absolutely abysmal all over again. Also, every time someone discovers an above-average way to make money, it gets nerfed so that your income slows down to a trickle again.

Then there's also the fact that their bug-fixing practices are abysmal. I reported a serious bug in one of the main story quests in January. It's still there. It also has horrendous performance issues that have not been fixed since launch and which doesn't seem like it's going to get fixed anytime soon.

You're much better off playing something like SW, although after finishing the game and all the quests once there's not really much incentive to keep playing it either. At least the game doesn't actively punish you for playing it the way you want to, though.

I could easily debate this with you and counter all but one or two of the issues (the loot issue) to your points, but I won't. I will sum up what I can say to what you said in one phrase though: The game is obviously not for you and is not something you were expecting. Edited by lonewolf_kai

Yes, I must admit, the game probably isn't for me. When I bought the game I was expecting a game where I would have total freedom to play the game the way I want to, like many other MMOs. What I got is a game where I get herded through content and get told when I have done 'too much' of a certain type of content for today. To be honest, I'd much rather play WoW. For all the faults it has, the game doesn't tell you what to do.

Feels like you're talking about an entirely different game Zewp. In WoW every class has a set role, and can only perform that role. In Guild Wars any class can be almost any role. There's a much greater degree of player freedom in Guild Wars, are you sure you played Guild Wars 2 not the original?

i havent gottent o end game in GW2, only like L55 or something give or take, but i never felt herded in any way. i felt like i could play any way i wanted. i actually had a huge feeling of Freedom compared to the short time i played WoW

That's what I was thinking Hoof, I've got four endgame characters, never feels grindy to me. Zewp's comments just don't make sense, they feel like he's talking about the original rather than the sequal.

I never understood why WoW was so popular. There was nothing in particular about that game that shined in any way IMO. A lot of people said vanilla WoW was what was the best; well that is the part I had issues with. The early content was just bad. Terrible in fact. At no point was the game challenging, just boring and monotonous. When I played it was before they had things like dungeon finder, and it was incredibly difficult to get on a decent team, and it seemed like nobody needed DPS and wanted a healer, or if you were a certain type of DPS like Hunter that made it even less likely you'd get a team. The few teams I got were a terrible unorganized mess, and nobody did what they were supposed to do right and things never went well. And this was basic MMORPG strategy; do's and don'ts. Mages couldn't understand why they couldn't just sit there and spam AOEs and just because there is a tank in the middle they shouldn't ever get aggro - period, or the tank is just a bad tank. Nor did they understand that it took the tank a few attacks to build up aggro. It was just incredibly frustrating trying to play a game with people that stupid.

Feels like you're talking about an entirely different game Zewp. In WoW every class has a set role, and can only perform that role. In Guild Wars any class can be almost any role. There's a much greater degree of player freedom in Guild Wars, are you sure you played Guild Wars 2 not the original?

I'm talking about the content, not the classes. GW2 herds you into certain content. In order to level up, you have to participate in a variety of content, unlike most other MMOs where you can decide which content you want to participate in. I can't choose to level by only doing quests, because there is not enough quests in the zone to level you up enough to get to the next zone. You also need to go run around a map gathering PoI and Vistas. If I'm trying to grind for mats to craft a certain item, I can't do that either because the game's anti-grind policy kicks in, essentially telling me I can't play the game like that, even if I want to.

A lot of freedom that is taken for granted in other MMOs, is not available in GW2.

I'm currently trying out NWN, and I highly doubt I'll ever go back to GW2. There's just no incentive for me to go back and judging from the fact that pretty much nobody on my friends list or in my 300 man guild logs onto the game any longer, I reckon I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Edited by Zewp

so you dont like GW2 because it gives you too many options to play the game but wont let you focus one only doing on thing? hmm. i guess i never tried to play a game only wanting to do one specific thing and ignore the rest of the stuff in the game.

you dont NEED to gather PoIs or Vistas. in fact a lot of people wait till End Game to collect them because the XP Scales with your Level, making it easier to Level up in the end of the game by collecting those.

as far as WoW goes, i only played for under a month back before Cata came out (they were just implementing stuff for it when i was playing, but the expansion wasnt out for another month or so at that time) i started playing it because a friend of mine talked me into it. i went into it with the idea wed play together. well we did for the first 10 levels or so. then i took a break one time and he went on to his other toon (which was like 20 levels higher) and literally never went back to playing his other toon with me. i played until i was like L46 or something, mostly just doing Dungeons, but it got boring fast and thats when i stopped. Havent touched the game since :P

Edited by hoofhearted4

The only MMO I play anymore is Guild Wars 2. It has everything that every other MMO wishes it could have. Just sayin'...

I second this. Wish swtor had this and the management of the game, Aranet has done a really good job.

Yes, I must admit, the game probably isn't for me. When I bought the game I was expecting a game where I would have total freedom to play the game the way I want to, like many other MMOs. What I got is a game where I get herded through content and get told when I have done 'too much' of a certain type of content for today. To be honest, I'd much rather play WoW. For all the faults it has, the game doesn't tell you what to do.

Not sure what game you talking about but GW2 let's you exactly do what you want.(Freedom) I even played my thief to 80 just by doing WvWvW content in the game, yeah that means no side quest/group boss fights or even dungeon and following class storyline. my Class Story is still right after you get out of the intro after helping logan thackery lol. I know i'm just lazy that way.
OT:Haven't played Secret World so far from the vids it looks a well polished game, but for me i'd choose GW2 definitely ,Like what most people here already said the classes are well balanced except for rangers *cough but yeah there is no holy trinity here and for advance play like in WvWvW group synergy is very good in this game and his highly encouraged like Static Fields(elementalist) + Blast Finishers(Warrior or Guardian) = Area Swiftness good for organize group play pvp.
and It's the only MMO that i know that let's me customize my class build to play a role of a big roamer permantent Stealther(Thief Dagger/Pistol) for scouting and disrupting enemy supply lines. Oh yes! And i do mean (permanent) cloacked. :biggrin:
Edited by spets21