Site updates and fixes

Dark0ne

Following on from last weeks update to the way file search and category results are displayed we’ve patched in a few fixes and added a few more features based on user feedback. Perhaps most important, and worthy of being outside of the bulleted list below is the fact we’ve coded in some rudimentary browser back button functionality to the AJAX on the site.

The problem is thus; most browsers’ page history and back log are dictated by page reloads. Each time you visit or reload a new page it’s recorded in the browser history, and if you press the back button on your mouse/keyboard/browser you’ll go back to the last page you visited. Because we present a lot of the content on the site to you through AJAX, which is seamless and doesn’t require a page load, the browser’s history doesn’t record your button presses or remember what you were looking at before, and will instead take you back to the last page you visited. So if you search for “Weapons” in the file search, navigate to page 10, click on a mod you like the look of and then try to go back in your browser it’ll take you back to the default file search page, and not page 10 of your search for weapons. Of course, the simple fix for this is to just embrace tabbed browsing and simply open mods you’re interested in via a new tab (ctrl+click, middle-click or right-click a link and select “open in new tab”). It’s not a new concept, it’s been around for a very many years, but it seems quite a few people haven’t quite caught up with modern browsing methods yet and have complained about this to me.

As such we’ve coded in some simple browser history fixes to the sites so that your browser will remember every link you click, AJAX or not, and take you back through every click and not just page reloads. Now if you browse pages 2, 3, 4 and 5 in a category and then click the back button your browser will take you back through those pages, rather than back to the start. Similarly if you’re on a file page and click the images tab, comments tab and files tab clicking the back button will take you back through the tabs you just clicked on.

On top of that change we’ve also made quite a few fixes and updates. Here’s the current list of changes.

• [Feature] Mod authors can now write out an explanation for why they’ve hidden their mod page from view which can be seen by users trying to access their file page, rather than the default “This file page has been hidden by the author” message
  • [Feature] Changed the way you can add change logs for your file by providing the option of using one large text area for easy copy and pasting of content from a pre-written change log or readme file
  • [Feature] Added the ability to sort by name to the list of sort by filters
  • [Feature] Files marked “adult-only” will now feature on category/search result pages in the “Feature files” section if the user has adult-only content turned on. You won’t see adult-only files in the featured images if it’s turned off or you’re not logged in
  • [Feature] Banned members are now informed of why they were banned when trying to login and provided with a link to our rules and unban request form, rather than just being told they’re banned with no explanation
  • [Fix] Removed the links to “Advanced search” as the advanced search options are now incorporated in to the new search page as standard
  • [Fix] Changed the way hot files/featured images works so that cropping your image doesn’t also crop the thumbnail for that image. This fix is not retrospective, so if you have an image thumbnail that has been cropped you’ll have to delete it and re-upload it
  • [Fix] Trimmed all file page names that started with a space which was making the alphabetical sorting look odd. You can no longer add a space to the start of your file name
  • [Fix] Fixed the search button so it once again automatically selects the textfield rather than requiring you to do another mouse click
  • [Fix] Fixed an issue with the pagination not working on searches done with more than 1 word
  • [Fix] Tracked files tab on the front page is now working again
  • [Fix] Fixed an issue with the site news archive pagination not working past the first page
  • [Fix] Fixed an issue when clicking the “Download (Manual)” button on file pages highlighting the “Articles” tab rather than the “Files” tab if the author has written articles for the file

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"As such we’ve coded in some simple browser history fixes to the sites so that your browser will remember every link you click, AJAX or not, and take you back through every click and not just page reloads."

Epic! Thank you!

All the other fixes and new features are great too, thank you.

Edited by Elgar82

I just wanna thank you and the team, for working so hard to make The Nexus the star modding site on the net. Us moddaholics (248 .esps and counting...) really appreciate it!

I am new here, but is good to know the new fixes, I start to looking for some mods, and yes, for me was really odd that it said hidden or even then, error. And it was very strange because no message or a hint of what was the problem with that file mod. But good, now i will search again those files that i got interested in the first place. To see now why.

P.s. Good fixes :)

Nice work guys, good to see the site getting continuous updates and features, Keep it up!

One feature I've noticed that has disappeared is the ability to middle-click on an image to open it up in a new tab and it instead loads on the page in the preview pane. Not something major but I use it a lot to view the images on Mods, especially for comparisons, and was a bit jarring not being able to use it.

I miss being able to delete my posts.. it came in handy a few times we had access to it.. I posted a question but soon found what I needed and was able to delete before wasting mod authors time.

Also if an argument is made that by deleting my post other posts associated with mine also get deleted ... big deal.. either let it happen that way or just let me delete my post only.

Anyway thank you for the continued updates to this site, I don't regret paying money to help support it... Can't wait for the new games to come out and see what modders do to them... cause all the action will be at Nexus!

In response to post #7970089. #7971661 is also a reply to the same post.

Thanks again to you and your team!Is the change log text field working correctly? I put in a 179 word change log and it only displays the first 36 of them. Unless I'm missing something I didn't see anything about a word limit.EDIT: Ok here is a link to the mods change log.Here are the submitted changes:

-Breezehome: Made waste containers reset (now garbage disposals); Brightened home lights by 20%; fixed childs room bookshelf; fixed many shadow torches & light seams; reversed privy stalls; removed bug spawners; made doomstones available only on discovery (for balance); added a weapon rack next to the first floor mannequin; changed front door style, added room notification messages for Dovahkiin's Rest, cellar and understairs; resolved ITM, UDR and navmesh deletion errors; updated all map marker symbols; added a few more occlusion planes for added stability.-Dovahkiin's Den: Minor cosmetic improvements; locked alternate access door; -Dovahkiin's Rest: added an enchanter and alchemy lab; added in-wall safe; adjusted weapon racks; added a spotlight to bedside mannequin.-Understairs: fixed wall rendering issue; fixed mannequin activators & bookshelves; added a ninth shield and weapon rack.-Cellar: fixed some vertical weapon plaques; doubled cubby weapon racks and plaques.-Vault: expanded area; added vampire area; added escape shaft to exterior location; added some loose gems; adjusted diamond claw holder script.-Minstrel's Rest: fixed wall rendering issue; added enchanter; reduced exterior map marker notification area. -Whiterun Burrows: completed flooring; repositioned secured Breezehome door.

Edited by Robinsage

As always, you guys rock. It's very exciting to see all these new features coming in while knowing that stability is being maintained. This is one quality site, sirs, one quality site.