An idea for Fallout 4 - Lone Wanderer vs Courier

JackTrenton

Set 10 years after the events of New Vegas. The NCR, with the Courier at the helm, has wiped away the last vestiges of Caesar and his Legion. Having crushed Caesar, the NCR annexed the Mojave and tightened its grip on the American Southwest. The NCR then - in its quest to conquer and restore civilization to the wastes - began marching east to assimilate the tribes and consolidate power, seeking new lands and resources. Many tribes fought desperately to preserve their ways and customs, but all were annihilated by the NCR and the wrath of the Courier.

10 years after the Second Battle for Hoover Dam, the NCRs conquest of post-apocalyptic America is nearly complete. The Capital Wasteland is the only obstacle that remains, and in it one whos myth and legend matches the Courier himself - the Lone Wanderer. The Wanderer has spent the years since Project Purity driving the Raiders, Slavers, and Mutants away from his home. The Capital Wasteland has finally discovered peace, thanks to the Lone Wanderer's drive to restore the Capital Wasteland and realize the altruistic dreams of his parents James and Catherine.

Now both the Lone Wanderer and Courier will face their greatest challenges - each other. One fights on a relentless march to restore civilization, the other fights for his home and his way of life.

The NCR and Brotherhood are the main opposing factions, one backing the Courier, the other the Wanderer. Each of the two characters has their own completely seperate storyline, culiminating in a final clash for the ages to determine the fate of America.

At the start of the game you get to pick which of the two characters you play as, and you are allowed to design both characters and select their past choices to preserve continuity with your Fallout 3 and New Vegas experiences. Fallout 4 would be a sequel of both games.

• 3 weeks later...
Sounds like a neat concept for the most part. Going off of what this says I would personally play as the Lone Wanderer since I don't much like the NCR and I really like the east coast brotherhood since they were more like selfless protectors. Only one problem, what if your Courier didn't join the NCR? It would be weird if my character, who fought for an independant vegas was all the sudden helping the NCR claim more land after he drove them out.

I don't see the NCR spreading all the way across america 10 years after hoover dam, even if they do win the battle. They're stretched too thinly.

LW vs. Courier is a dumb idea for a game. It might be cool for a fun little fan fic spaghetti western style, but not as a game.

I'd prefer to see Fallout 4 set somewhere completely new, like Chicago, some new factions, and some old ones, nice morally grey decisions and complex characters whose stories you can really get into. Much more New Vegas than FO3.

I was thinking maybe the NCR's southern frontier, finding out what they were up to in Baja, but that would feel more like a New Vegas DLC than a new game.

• 3 weeks later...

While this is a cool idea, it is filled with logic and lore gaps that make it unable to work.

1. The NCR would have to go through the midwest and if memory serves me correct, there is the midwest BOS and other large groups to get through.

2. The Courier and Lone Wanderer and the standard Bethesda roles for each do not fit with your idea. While each one fights and ultimately was forced to side roughly with another group, they each do their own thing. Role Playing would allow for this story but not Bethesada.

3. As said above, 10 years is to short of a time to work out. Any longer, and then the age of the characters becomes an issue.

4. Fallout 4 is set in the Commonwealth.

This would make a great mod though.

This is an interesting story, but there are many problems. If the NCR took a most of North America over in 10 years, they would collapse. The NCR is on the verge of collapse anyways. They couldn't take the Legion over even if the Legion were dealing with a rebellion. Another thing is the Capitol Wasteland Brotherhood would stand a chance even if the NCR could take a large portion of North America over. Maybe if the Brotherhood became an eastern equivalent of the NCR and took over the Northeast and Midwestern Brotherhood. That might give enough resource to fight over the future of North America. Any large nation like this would take at least a generation to build. Modern California was little more than a mostly rural farming state at the end of World War Two. Now, it is a large and powerful state. It was almost irrelevant 60 years ago. It would take at least that long for the NCR to become great. Ten years is too short. Maybe descendants of the main characters or them as aging Presidents.

Edited by trob1000

Having another game be like New Vegas would be a waste of time. New Vegas had an empty game world and a linear series of "quests". It was more like a warm up for Skyrim. The next game needs to be filled with quests, wacky people, towns and other random places. New Vegas had glitz, but it didn't have anything else than that.

The first problem is that the NCR just has too few people in general. as of fallout 2 they have 700,000 people and the NCR has more people than anyone else in north america. Logistics would be impossible they're stretched to thin as is. Second I doubt the Courier would go along with the NCR as it annexs every tribe and settlement. Even if the NCR magically had millions of people all those annexed settlements could revolt. But for the sake of argument this all worked the Lone Wanderer would problably win. DC has a BoS that actually recruits locals (better trained military in decent numbers). the LW also has that alien mothership ;D

Having another game be like New Vegas would be a waste of time. New Vegas had an empty game world and a linear series of "quests". It was more like a warm up for Skyrim. The next game needs to be filled with quests, wacky people, towns and other random places. New Vegas had glitz, but it didn't have anything else than that.

New Vegas was far less linear than most other games out there. I would have loved more quests, but quests take time and money to put together, write, script and voice act, and the Dev team didn't have enough of either. They did a great job with the resources they had, in my opinion. Fallout 3 was fun, and had some cool places, but the world was very disjointed and badly written in places (and every time the writers tried to be "wacky" I didn't like the result. Little Lamplight, anyone?!).

With unlimited time and money, you could create a truly gargantuan world filled with quests, fully-voiced characters, fleshed-out locations that tie into multiple quest-lines, and so on, but unless people would be willing to pay £300 for such a game, it's not going to get made. I'd be very happy if the next game was anything like New Vegas in its structure, depth, quality of writing, and engaging storyline.

I'd love them to keep the post-apocalyptic feel as well, communities struggling to survive and rebuild. I'm worried that the Commonwealth will end up being the main focus of the game, and while games about blowing up robots in chrome-plated corridors can be good fun, that's not what Fallout is all about.