Custom Settlement Issues

aurreth

Yeah, it's all very sloppy. I'm doing navmesh right now, and it's a freakin disaster. I mean it should be easy. An object either does or does not have collision (i.e. it's either solid or not). You build your cell, place your objects. Hit calculate and boom, every solid between 0 degrees (flat) and say 45 degrees (incline) is available for walking on. Anything taller than say waist height is considered a wall for purposes of calculating walking surfaces.

Did they do that? Nooooooo. Why do something easy like let a computer do computer things when you can not pay an intern to do it by hand?

Talking about sloppy, sometimes it has benefits. Any idea how many nifs & textures there are, which haven't been used? Thousands easily!

Until recently i always browsed the CK to find suitable meshes, and then copy the nif from the data folder (I've extracted all vanilla BA2 files)

...but while browsing the data folders I keep finding all these nifs I've never seen before. Some don't even have textures, or are obviously not finnished.

Example: if you go to static\Interiors\Vault inside CK, you see 19 subfolders. If you check the same path inside the data, you get 27 subfolders. Some are used elsewhere, like "animated", but most is 'unused'.

Including 84 'boxcar' models, 193 'cave' models, 34 more lgroomshells (in 2nd folder "lgroomshell" next to the one you see in CK "lgroomshells"). The latter are pretty much the same objects. (copy error?)

...and this goes on and on thru out the whole data. Textures too. They easily could have reduced the total file size by 10% or more.

There is a whole world of 'cut content' to explore! :laugh:

Makes me wonder what the game could have looked like, if they really finished all of it.

Oh I know. The material swaps I use to make 111 look all sparkly and clean (well, mostly sparkly and clean) are, to the best of my ability to find, never actually used in the game. They are supposed to make the vault look brand new, but even in the intro sequences there's a ton of rust.

The building I'm working on right now has one room that they blocked off because of precombine issues. Literally they did not fix it and just pile 4 or 5 different rubble/debris pieces to block off the door. Seriously? A solid wall would have been easier. Even worse there is space next to it obviously blocked off to extend another room, and again rather than deal with things they just piled stuff in front of it.

That's on my to-do list, fix those two rooms and regenerate precom/previs. It's mostly a matter of finding the right parts in the CK.

I'll end up digging around when I start producing my own cells, see what I can find. Right now I'm just doing settlement conversions to learn my way around the CK.