CTD after Alt+Tab

Gottam

I noticed whenever I Alt+Tab the game promptly crashes. It doesn't matter if it's in the main menu after starting the game or if I'm in a save game.

I usually come back to Fallout 4 ( or Skyrim or FNV for that matter) after long pauses to kill some time and the last time I played Fallout 4, I don't remember having consistent CTDs strictly because of Alt+Tab.

Did something change in the last few years that I have missed? To test certain fixes I always tried alt+tab in the main menu and it always crashes. I even turned off all plugins to no avail.

This really confuses me because I didn't really touch the game or update any mods (except for mods that tell you they need updating when you start Fallout 4 like F4SE, MCM, DefUI) before trying to play.

And like I already mentioned it even does it with every mod turned off. Any help or explanations regarding this matter would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

I have had mixed results with Alt+Tab on Beth games. Sometimes it works just fine, others, not so much. For the most part, if I switch out while the game is running, it will automagically bring up the "Esc" menu....

I doubt that it is a mod problem..... Probably a windows thing.

I have had mixed results with Alt+Tab on Beth games. Sometimes it works just fine, others, not so much. For the most part, if I switch out while the game is running, it will automagically bring up the "Esc" menu....

I doubt that it is a mod problem..... Probably a windows thing.

I get what you mean because that's how it used to be before. A few crashes here and there is normal but not EVERY time I alt+tab even in the main menu. I also suspect it might be some kind of windows related problem or an update for Fallout 4 not playing nice with windows. But if this problem isn't that common then maybe I'm doing something wrong. Maybe there are some settings that can be changed to fix it. Really confusing.

Look in Event Viewer, find the appcrash for FO4, and see if there is any interesting information in there.

I completely forgot that Event Viewer is a thing. Used it maybe once in my life. Thanks so much for your help that was exactly what I needed. Event Viewer said the faulting module was place.dll from the Place Everywhere mod. It was in the F4SE folder in data. It was outdated and since it used F4SE I guess that means crashes when alt+tabbing no matter when or where if both aren't up to date. So all I needed to do is update Place Everywhere and bam no more crashes. Thanks again man would have never figured that out since Place Everywhere is only a F4SE plugin so that's why it still crashed with all mods turned off. Gotta remember Event Viewer next time there are mod related crashes like that.