New lows in virtual depravity?

MrStoob

Whenever my characters become vampires, they take on a psychotic persona. It's all part of the RPG fun, right? This usually works well with the Dark Brotherhood quest lines as I get to kill and feed in one go (using Better Vampires so can murder lower level characters with feeding). However, my current character has taken this to all new lows.

I was doing the Muiri quest and went to kill Nilsine Shatter-Shield. Muiri goes on about how she was humiliated by Nilsine as the apparent instigator of her downfall and so I wanted to return the favour. I snuck naked into their house, fed off the whole family, murdered Nilsine by over-feeding, then left her for her parents to find her stripped naked, bent over the bed with a butt-plug sticking out of her arse, and her head turned so the 'Queen's Seat' I'd stuck in her mouth is instantly visible, while she lays in a pool of her own blood.

Amused me, anyway. :D

This makes me think about why there aren`t more stories like this. Maybe Skyrim isn`t sandboxy enough for sufficiently unique experiences?

I think it is, I think the problem is there aren't enough people left today that play RPG's like Skyrim that are actually 'Roleplayers' in the traditional sense. grew up playing Dungeons and Dragons with my step dad, so I find plenty of roleplaying material in Skyrim, you just have to let your imagination take you there.

Agreed! But if what you say is true you have done the Dark Brotherhood proud, even Festus wouldn't be able to top that story.

I am not sure about these forums but I have seen tons of roleplaying stories on forums since Skyrim's release

I'm not sure if 'tons' is the correct term to use in this situation, I think you may have found a community where the majority of the members were Roleplayers themselves. The sad truth is, true Roleplaying is a dying breed.

That is a very valid point, when I think of Roleplayers in the traditional sense, (as stated above, I started out as a child playing D&D) I generally think of taking on your characters persona and experiencing a narrative styled lifestyle through their eyes.

I will agree everyone has their own ways of achieving this, but as far as using sheer imagination alone to create an attire existence is dying off now that we have scripted, pre-planned events laid out for us. Now I am not knocking video games at all, I think Skyrim in particular is a work of art. It's just that it seems all the imagining and 'roleplaying' have been taken out of the equation. That's exactly why I love immersion mods, they add to the believe-ability that I am the person I am playing.

Now to some that may seem crazy, "Dude its just a game, why do you have to take it so seriously??" well I don't, I purely do this in my spare time that I have being a college student working full time, It's just a matter of preference and I like to feel immersed in my games, roleplaying is how I accomplish that.

And sorry about the rant, just to be clear I didn't take offence to your comment at all, I just fell strongly about this topic and its something that I like to discuss in depth with the like minded people in this forum.

I'm not really into RPG's as such, although my favourite genre, FPS, is probably a pure form of roleplaying. My limited experience of RPG games is that you play the role of the character designed for you, as you point out mellophonist,whereas in Elder Scroll games, at least the ones I have played, once you have done the initial start, you can be whatever your imagination wants you to be. So whether you are playing a role in strict accordance with the lore of the game, or for example, a time-traveller from a parallel universe you can do it. It is still roleplaying, and I don't think that is dying off...hence the volume of mods....and the people downloading them