gamebreaking shadows...halp!

predicament

So I play sky rim for immersion. Pure and simple. The game is lovely. Best so game of all time IMO. Anyways, shadows look fine I have a few mods dealing with lighting elfx namely. Again, anyways, shadows don't seem to match up with the sun. Example, in solitude, the buildings cast shadows in the morning, the sun isn't even up yet the buildings are casting shadows. This makes zero sense to me. If the sun is behind a mountain why are buildings casting shadows? Is there an INI tweak I can do to fix this? My guess is the mountains are so far away that sky rims sun just ignores them and only renders the shadows on things nearby. The same thing happens with buildings. If I see a building casting a shadow and I go to where the shadow meets the sunlit ground and look towards the sun I can't see the sun, yet the game is rendering light on the ground as if the sun were there. This breaks my immersion - I'm very tedious. Please help.

I don't notice the problem you describe, although shadows are certainly not always perfectly scientifically aligned. I am guessing from the lack of responses what you are seeing is not a common problem, or it's just one of those things that maybe you are more attuned to.

My guess, though, is that you are looking at something related to your collection of lighting mods or tweaks...you might just try removing them, adjusting them or whatever till you get the look you want.

I'll post a pic. But just go to river wood and wait there until about 7 or 8 am and look to the east where the sky meets the throat of the world. You won't see the sun cresting the mountain yet, but every building in river wood will have a shadow as if the mountains aren't there. Maybe I'm just crazy, tedious, or too observant for my own (sky rim) good. Thank you to those who take the time to tell me if you see what I see.

So I agree, at 7 am the the shadows looking east in Riverwood may be more distinct than you might see in real life, and don't account for the sun needing to clear the mountain. I think the issue is that the game isn't drawing shadows by calculating the line to the sun, but rather by applying general rules about shadows on cells based on things like time of day, weather, etc. So you will see the the shadows lengthen and shorten over a day/night, and you will see dimmer light in some weather situations, but you are not going to see completely realistic shadows at all times and in all places.

You might investigate a few lighting/weather/Enb mods or settings to adjust this more to your liking, or turn off shadows or shadow updating entirely, but I don't think you are going to be able to find anything that makes shadows absolutely realistic. The game would have to be constantly re-figuring the line from the sun to what your are looking at, adding in other barriers, etc.

Ini changes that lengthen the angle at which shadows appear, or decrease shadow resolution, may help soften the effect, but it won't completely change what you are seeing.

• 1 year later...