Radio stutter

Cine_eater

I don't spend too much time on these forums, but I tell you its discussions like this that make the game so much more marketable and enjoyable. The whole group of people here. I have enjoyed the 360 version of fallout 3, but decided to grab the pc version for the mods. I couldn't have gotten them running without forum discussions like this. I know it doesn't work for everybody, but I had faith if I worked patiently through the recomendations here that I would get the game running. To me the biggest reason to get the pc version was for expanded gnr and this forum made it possible, along with the mods themselves. Anyways you guys are great even though I was up till 3:00 in the morning getting it to work.

Cynically optimistically yours,

njep

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

#NOTE SKIP TO BOTTOM OF MY POST TO SEE WHICH CODEC TO DISABLE

ok guys, I am just going to tell you a couple of details about my comp and what I am going to do to fix the problems.

First, I ran that installed_codecs program thing, looked at it, then tried to disable the fraun... whatever codec. stuttering still there.

Then, I disabled that ac3 codec, stuttering still there. So I reenabled those.

After that. I went to bed, woke up, did some stuff, now I am here.

I went ctrl+a (select all) and disabled all of my codecs. Suprisingly, audio still works, and the suttering is gone, but I still want codecs enabled and can't be bothered disabling/enabling all every time I want to play fallout 3. So. I am now going to go through every single codec to find the culprit. Wish me luck, I will report back soon :D

UPDATE:

After randomly disabling groups of codecs, I have come to the conclusion that the cause of the stutter is a conflict between some codecs, I will continue to disable and enable random groups to narrow down which codecs exactly are conflicting and report back.

ANOTHER UPDATE:

Holy Crap this game has music?!?!

Well, That is cool, I just have to say, also, I thought something was quiet. I thought the only source of music was the radio, anyway, now I have actual in game music (not pipboy radio music), the stutter is also gone, I will continue finding the exact codec that is the cause and get back to you.

More UPDATE:

The "AC3 Parser Filter" allows for the music in the game to play and also stops the stutter, I just need to find what is conflicting with it.

Final Update and Results:

Ok, The cause of the problem was the "ArcSoft Audio Decoder". Disable that and game music is back, and that annoying noise is gone. Everything else can stay on, you might want to know that if you disable everything and only enable the "ArcSoft MPEG Demux" the framerate will drop, severely.

Disable: ArcSoft Audio Decoder

I don't know about crashing to desktop but I'm gonna go play fallout 3 now YEAH!

#NOTE SKIP TO BOTTOM OF MY POST TO SEE WHICH CODEC TO DISABLE

ok guys, I am just going to tell you a couple of details about my comp and what I am going to do to fix the problems.

First, I ran that installed_codecs program thing, looked at it, then tried to disable the fraun... whatever codec. stuttering still there.

Then, I disabled that ac3 codec, stuttering still there. So I reenabled those.

After that. I went to bed, woke up, did some stuff, now I am here.

I went ctrl+a (select all) and disabled all of my codecs. Suprisingly, audio still works, and the suttering is gone, but I still want codecs enabled and can't be bothered disabling/enabling all every time I want to play fallout 3. So. I am now going to go through every single codec to find the culprit. Wish me luck, I will report back soon :D

UPDATE:

After randomly disabling groups of codecs, I have come to the conclusion that the cause of the stutter is a conflict between some codecs, I will continue to disable and enable random groups to narrow down which codecs exactly are conflicting and report back.

ANOTHER UPDATE:

Holy Crap this game has music?!?!

Well, That is cool, I just have to say, also, I thought something was quiet. I thought the only source of music was the radio, anyway, now I have actual in game music (not pipboy radio music), the stutter is also gone, I will continue finding the exact codec that is the cause and get back to you.

More UPDATE:

The "AC3 Parser Filter" allows for the music in the game to play and also stops the stutter, I just need to find what is conflicting with it.

Final Update and Results:

Ok, The cause of the problem was the "ArcSoft Audio Decoder". Disable that and game music is back, and that annoying noise is gone. Everything else can stay on, you might want to know that if you disable everything and only enable the "ArcSoft MPEG Demux" the framerate will drop, severely.

Disable: ArcSoft Audio Decoder

I don't know about crashing to desktop but I'm gonna go play fallout 3 now YEAH!

:biggrin:

Hey mate, thanks for your nice post :thumbsup:

I'm glad that you solved this problem for your. I actually like the ingame music very well.

I have installed the ArcSoft Audio Decoder as well and I don't have audiostutter anymore. However I'm sure that the problem is not the codec itself, it's more a problem how your system do handle them - well, don't quote me on that ^^.

But some people don't have the the ArcSoft Audio Decoder installed, and they do have stuttering all the same.

I was testing a little and I even installed a fresh new XP. Then, the first I did was running Installed codec to figure out what the Windows default codecs are. I istalled all neccessary driver and then just right away Fallout. Then I went back to installed codec and disabled / enabled all sorts of codecs until I found out, that this codecs are Windows default and essential to play ingame sounds.

1. the two Company = Fraunhofer Institut Integrierte Schaltungen IIS – Codecs, this are:
    • Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3 Codec and
    • MPEG Layer-3 Decoder

[*]the two Company = Sipro Lab Telecom Inc. codecs

And of cause some of the video codecs, which shouldn't affect audio eigther.

This codecs are mainly common ones and should work flawless, as long as no third party codecs are breaking in.

Don't get me wrong, those default codecs can be ignored - if your audiohardware brings along its own codecs which might work better, without stuttering ...

cheers, cya :)

• 4 weeks later...

Had this problem after downloading and trying out a few different codec packs, but found this comment @ http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=350 (Post 9).

Fixed all my problems, much thanks goes out to Gawdzilla, I think I might love you man. JK :happy:

If you're like me and have a problem with stuttering songs, but no problem with other audio, you might have a codec problem.

I used a tiny standalone utility called "InstalledCodec" to disable the Fraunhofer codec in Windows, then I downloaded a new MPEG codec called "MADFilter" and used the accompanying batch files to add it to the registry. My music issues instantly went away.

"InstalledCodec" is here:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/installed_codec.html

And "MADFilter" is here:

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/MADFilter.htm

Had this problem after downloading and trying out a few different codec packs, but found this comment @ http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=350 (Post 9).

Fixed all my problems, much thanks goes out to Gawdzilla, I think I might love you man. JK :happy:

If you're like me and have a problem with stuttering songs, but no problem with other audio, you might have a codec problem.

I used a tiny standalone utility called "InstalledCodec" to disable the Fraunhofer codec in Windows, then I downloaded a new MPEG codec called "MADFilter" and used the accompanying batch files to add it to the registry. My music issues instantly went away.

"InstalledCodec" is here:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/installed_codec.html

And "MADFilter" is here:

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/MADFilter.htm

The Madfilter Fix is confirmed only for Vista, it definately does not work for XP. And I heard from lots of people that this method isn't working for them though they are using Vista.

But anyway ... its still worth a try

• 1 month later...

Can you start the dxdiag somehow in Win7?

Try to enter dxdiag into some command line. Then you'd get a diagnostic window.

There should be one or more tabs called sound (eventually maybe sound 1, sound 2)

• Set the hardware acceleration of the card you don't use to disabled
  • Set the hardware acceleration of the card you use to sth other than max and none

It's worth a try, but I'm not really familiar with Win7, so ... it might be fail at all :sweat:

Good luck

I have followed most of the advice here. And I have disabled all codecs that have been mentioned to disable. Now, rather then stuttering-where it misses bits of the songs, it stutters-where the song is slowed and it stop/starts. The ESC thing does help for longer then it did. But I'm still stuck on what to do.

I havent changed my mp3's to mono. I'm using custom mp3's.