Radio stutter

Cine_eater

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I installed K-Lite already. Nothing.

Also, I used Installed Codecs to disable codecs that I was advised to. What were the codec errors?

I'm not sure what the errors were anymore. When I first installed K-lite it found them and fixed them. When I re-installed FO3 the stuttering came back so I used the K-lite Codec Tweak tools to re-scan. It found the 2 errors again and fixed them, stuttering gone again. Sounds like you have tried almost everything you can. If you can borrow someone's sound card you might see if that resolves it. If so you know it is a problem related with your sound card and not the install or codec problems.

I installed mad filter just there. Ran fallout and no change. Then I ran the tweak tool. Then K-Lite said it was broken, so I said yes to removing it. Now I have no music at all:radio, ingame, all of it. Voices come through fine.

EDIT1:These are the sound cards that showd up when I ask K-Lite to make a log.

{1} C-Media UCreative Audio Device {2} NVIDIA® nForce Audio

Do they have any known problems?

EDIT2:Fixed, somehow, someway. BOOOH YAAAHH.

After running the tweak tool, and it dected a problem with mad filter, I ran mad filters uninstall.bat. Then the install.bat. I have no idea how, but it works. When I initially turn it on, I get some wierd squeaky noise, then it fixes it. So alls well that ends well.

Thanks for everyones help and suggestions. Even though, it wasnt directed at me :P

Nice :thumbsup:, thanks for telling us how you finally nailed it.

There is simply no *one fixe fits all* solution available. So at the end there seems to be as much different ways to solve it as much different hardware and codecs are out there.

Thanks again, this will surely help one or another to deal with the stuttering.

Kudos for you and csgators

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd say what helped me - might help steer people with similar systems in the right direction. I have Win 7 (64bit), quad core i5, 4GB ram, sound blaster X-fi (gamer edition) with a 5.1 speaker set up. I had the usual stuttering (only via pipboy, only during songs). The stuttering was really bad, all the time.

I tried all the suggested .ini settings - no change.

Installing Creative Alchemy totally solved the stuttering, BUT changed some other sound qualities. Now, when I was having conversations with characters, their dialogue could be heard from all speakers, and not just the centre speaker. I kind of liked this, actually. But for at least one character, things went haywire: I would hear him loudly from all speakers when I was far away, but when I went up to him and had a conversation, I could barely hear him anymore. Obviously, this sort of thing is no good, so I deactivated Alchemy.

Next, I tried the thing where you first install Nirsoft's "intalled codec" utility, and then "MadFilter", and then deactivate the fraunhofer codec. Solved the problem perfectly (Look for details earlier in this thread). Now I can play the game as it was meant to be played and listen to the radio while I explore! If you're reading this, I wish you well getting this damn thing working on your system.

hi there, just wanted to pop my two eurocents into this discussion. I have just recently migrated from WinXP x86 to Win7 x64 - same configuration (E7300, gigabyte mainboard, 4GB ram, SB Audigy Player). When I was playing Fallout 3 on XP, I had no problems whatsoever. Once I installed F3 on Win7 I noticed that stuttering everyone is talking about:) Tried playing with turning on/off codecs (I have K-lite codec pack full 5.96 freshly installed), but the problem has been solved for me by installing MAD filter. Thanks to anyone who found out!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I thought I would share how I fixed my radio stutter. I use Windows Vista 64 bit and the only codecs I have installed were the ones that came with K-Lite Codec Pack Basic. All of them were enabled initially.

I have a Creative X-Fi Soundblaster card and the suggested fix for the radio stutter was adding Fallout 3 to Alchemy and although that solved the radio issue, 5.1 would not work properly after adding Fallout 3. So I removed it from Alchemy and tried the following fix, which completely solved the stutter.

Credits to the solution go to Gawdzila and Rebooter from Nexus.

Instructions for 64-bit systems:

Download MADFilter from here:

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/MADFilter.htm

Extract 'MADFilter.ax' and 'Register.bat' from archive and copy them to: C:\WINDOWS\SYSWOW64.

Click on Windows Start Button.

Go to All Programs-> Accessories.

Right-click on 'Command Prompt' and select 'Run as Administrator' from context menu.

At command prompt, type: 'CD C:\WINDOWS\SYSWOW64' and hit enter. Then type 'Register' and hit enter. If it worked you will get a message saying that 'MADFilter.ax' was successfully registered.

Download "InstalledCodec" from here:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/installed_codec.html

Extract 'InstalledCodec.exe' from archive and run it.

Find 'Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3 Codec' in the list, right-click it and select 'Disable Selected Items'.