Skyrim Creation Kit Won't Open!

ADragonCalledGeorge

Hey guys, here are things to check:

1. Is Skyrim installed correctly? Make sure all files are validated from Steam. You can do this by clicking on the properties of the game within steam.

2. Is the creation kit and Skyrim on the same drive? This is important, you'll only get a crashing program if you said no to this.

3. Most importantly: Is the creation kit installed into this folder: C:/Program Files/Steam/steam apps/Skyrim/data ? If not, place it within the Skyrim data folder within the steam program files. This is the most common error when the creation kit does not open.

- Happy Modding!

• 3 months later...

Hey, had the same problem, thought I'd pop by and tell you how I fixed it: don't use the Steam installer at all.

Instead swing by Bethesda, install their launcher, and get the Creation Kit from them. Works fine.

I think something must have shifted when Skyrim started supporting mods natively.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So I have a legal version of Skyrim from Amazon and it's registered and uploaded onto Steam since I didn't buy it from there. I only bought the expansion packs from there and the main game from Amazon. Anywho, I downloaded the Creation Kit from there and it installed just fine. I even uninstalled it and reinstalled it and I still had problems. Basically, whenever I open the Kit, the Steam box pops up to inform me that it's opening but then it dissapears and nothing happens. Like absolutely nothing. I don't get an error message. Nothing. This is really bothersome as I want to learn how to make mods and stuff but I can't. I know my computer can handle it since it did before but I uninstalled it then. Any thoughts on how to get it to work? I don't want to reinstall Skyrim but would I have to for the Creation Kit to work?

Many thanks in advance!!

i have a similar problem only i got skyrim off of steam it was the first steam game i got ever i got dawnguard and 30 some mods from nexus and 20 or more from steam workshop this isnt even my pc its the library's

Hey, had the same problem, thought I'd pop by and tell you how I fixed it: don't use the Steam installer at all.

Instead swing by Bethesda, install their launcher, and get the Creation Kit from them. Works fine.

I think something must have shifted when Skyrim started supporting mods natively.

Please don't mix up the two versions of Skyrim. This forum is for original Skyrim. Here's the Skyrim Special Edition forum.

• For original Skyrim, install the CK through Steam, under Library -> Tools.
  • For Skyrim Special Edition, download it from Bethesda.net.

The two versions of the CK are different and each one is not compatible with the other version of the game.

For more detailed install instructions, visit CreationKit.com.

• 9 months later...

Please don't mix up the two versions of Skyrim. This forum is for original Skyrim. Here's the Skyrim Special Edition forum.

• For original Skyrim, install the CK through Steam, under Library -> Tools.
  • For Skyrim Special Edition, download it from Bethesda.net.

The two versions of the CK are different and each one is not compatible with the other version of the game.

For more detailed install instructions, visit CreationKit.com.

I don't believe that's entirely true according to this post for modders:

https://bethesda.net/community/topic/75111/ck-32-bits-how-to-generate-level-of-detail-lod-for-a-custom-world-space

Sometimes it is necessary to open SSE in the old creation kit if you are making mods and need to generate LOD. However, I don't think that Oldrim will work with CK 2.0 but I haven't tried it.

I don't believe that's entirely true according to this post for modders:

https://bethesda.net/community/topic/75111/ck-32-bits-how-to-generate-level-of-detail-lod-for-a-custom-world-space

Sometimes it is necessary to open SSE in the old creation kit if you are making mods and need to generate LOD. However, I don't think that Oldrim will work with CK 2.0 but I haven't tried it.

Yes, you're right about that. There are also problems generating .LIP files for voice lip-synching, but it works fine in Oldrim CK. However, using the Oldrim CK to generate LOD or .LIP files is really just a workaround. You need to have Oldrim installed in order to use Oldrim CK.

If you make a plugin (ESP, ESM) in Oldrim CK and try to use directly it in SSE without converting it, then it may eventually screw up your save file (memory leaks). If you make a plugin in the SSE CK and try to use it in Oldrim, then I don't think it will work at all.

You can convert Oldrim plugins to SSE by opening them in SSE CK and then saving them. Sometimes they need manual adjustments though.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have skyrim se and i got the creation kit from the bethesda launcher but when i try to launch it I only get this message.

The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). Click ok to close the application.

could anyone help me figure out what the start of my problem is?

Edit I just realized im on the wrong forum so ill head over there but still if anyone could hep it would be nice.

Edited by Candle564