Xbox Reveal

JimboUK

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i find it funny how people here are talking about how the X1 is in danger

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

you people are acting like the PS4 is outselling it in a 3:1 ratio. the PS4 is selling like 22-33% more and its being sold in like 24 more counties then the X1.

Nintendo cant turn a profit, Sony is still doing poorly, Microsoft made billions. sorry the console isnt over yet.

It's being outsold 2 to 1 in the US, more elsewhere. It's not turning a profit either, the XBox has done nothing but cost the company money, that's one of the reasons why stockholder groups want Microsoft to sell it off.

That is funny. I am trying to give the Xbox One a foot hold to what is only the beginning. The PS4 Is nice but the Xbox One is as well. Until some appealing games come out for the Xbox One and PS4, I'll keep my Xbox 360 Slim and the PS3.

The joys of early adoption, I really don't know why people bother, they pay top dollar and then have nothing to play for a year.

My personal opinion is that Xbone is still crap. It was crap even before it got released due to some stuff Microsoft made mandatory (and still is, like Kinect and that stupid "watch TV on TV" stuff) but now it's crap because of it's parts.

What I mean:

X1 GPU - 768 shader cores, 853MHz GPU clock, 8GB DDR3 2133MHz shared VRAM pool, 63.8GB/s memory bandwidth

X1 CPU - dual-module AMD Jaguar @1.75GHz

PS4 GPU - 1152 shaders, 800MHz GPU clock, 8GB GDDR5 5500MHz shared VRAM pool, 176GB/s memory bandwidth

PS4 CPU - dual-module AMD Jaguar, unknown frequency

In simpler terms, comparing Xbone to PS4 in terms of graphics power is pretty much like comparing a Radeon 7790 to a 7870 clock-for-clock. PS4's VRAM bandwidth is nearly tripled, it's GPU clock is 53MHz slower (~7%) but with a 60% increase in shader cores, not sure about CPU though. Xbone on the other hand has a CPU that's nearly 1/2 slower than my 8320 on stock, and a GPU that's only a small step up from my 7770 by the looks of it.

Bottom line is, this whole console generation is crap, a $600 PC would run circles around both consoles. In terms of Xbone vs PS4 though, Xbone is a kiddie toy compared to PS4 hardware-wise, but at least it beats Nintendo.

The difference isn't small, the Xbone can only manage 720 on titles that the PS4 renderers in 1080p. I used to play Morrowind @ 1280x1024 back in 2002 yet here we are today with a console that struggles to get more than 1280x720.

don't forget the shared vram and cpu's cores which also diminishes its capabilities with os and Kenect.

Both Xbone and PS4 have an 8GB shared memory pool for RAM and VRAM. The major difference is that PS4 uses GDDR5 graphics RAM with a much higher bandwidth and higher latency while Xbone uses DDR3 system RAM with much lower bandwidth and lower latency. Difference is huge, games don't benefit much from system RAM speed/latency (for example, my DDR3-2133 CL11 would drive the games at maybe 2-3 FPS less at DDR3-800 CL11) but the consoles have on-chip GPUs that benefit much from increased VRAM bandwidth (even AMD's iGPUs in desktop APUs are starved for bandwidth, and they are a lot slower than the GPU in PS4 and Xbone).

And the CPU won't diminish it's capability with OS and Kinect, Xbone uses a modified Win8 which has the ability to utilize all 8 Steamroller cores in that SoC and I'm guessing the Kinect driver is also multi-threaded. PS4 uses a BSD-based system which is also multi-threaded which means it won't hinder any performance there, albeit Sony used a secondary ARM CPU to drive the OS/background processes which relieves the already pathetically weak CPU (as I said, 1/2 of my 8320 on stock) of extra strain.

Hardware-wise both Xbone and PS4 are pathetic, especially on the CPU side of things. But from the two of them (speaking in PC terms), PS4 is a purely gaming machine with hardware to back it up while Xbone feels more like a HTPC/gaming machine hybrid thingy (which it was said to be from the start with it's "watch TV on TV" crap).

The difference isn't small, the Xbone can only manage 720 on titles that the PS4 renderers in 1080p.

Which was pretty much my point. Due to it's increased memory bandwidth and a roughly 65% stronger graphics processing unit, PS4 can nearly double the pixel output rate and is capable of throwing out 1080p frames at roughly the same framerate. As I said, it's a 7790 low-end gaming card vs 7870 mid-range gaming card in PC hardware terms.

CPU comparison is iffy though, MS said Xbone's CPU frequency is 1.75GHz which is equivalent to a quad-module Piledriver at 2GHz (provided that the quad-core module on Jaguar has 15% IPC increase over Piledriver's dual-core module with scaling the FPU-sharing performance linearly as well), while Sony never officially released PS4's CPU specs.

I used to play Morrowind @ 1280x1024 back in 2002 yet here we are today with a console that struggles to get more than 1280x720.

Yeah, but with Xbone you can watch TV on your TV, and as bonus, you can look like a mental patient when talking with your TV or making weird gestures in front of it. I bet you couldn't do that in 2002. :D

Edited by Werne

I used to play Morrowind @ 1280x1024 back in 2002 yet here we are today with a console that struggles to get more than 1280x720.

Yeah, but with Xbone you can watch TV on your TV, and as bonus, you can look like a mental patient when talking with your TV or making weird gestures in front of it. I bet you couldn't do that in 2002. :D

I used to wave my arms about a lot playing Morrowind, every time the damn thing crashed. :laugh:

the fact that PS4 is outselling the Xbone in the US is what you need to pay attention to. the PS3 out sold the 360 in every other country but the US. it was because of the US that the 360 was as successful as it was. but now the PS4 took that market away too. if Sony beats the Xbone in its own home country, then thats what is such a big deal.

You know what, Never Freaking mind. The only ones actually listening are Rennn and Jim_uk. I try and say something that is complete opinion and positive... and suddenly attacked by negative nay-sayers with the exception of Rennn and Jim_uk. Done.

There isn't a single compelling reason to buy the Xbone over the PS4. To shed some light on why, lets take a look at compelling reasons to buy the previous Xbox systems:

Original X box - Superior specs to the PS2, and at the time they had some nice exclusives like Halo.

X360 - Cheaper than PS3, and it also ran a lot of the multiplatform games better.

Basically the argument to buy the PS4 over the Xbone, is the same argument that one could have made to buy the 360 over the PS3. Except to an even higher degree. Because the PS4 is a bit more powerful (closer to PS2 compared to X box).

Most reasonable people who are non-fanboys are going to see things this way.

Edited by Beriallord

There isn't a single compelling reason to buy the Xbone over the PS4. To shed some light on why, lets take a look at compelling reasons to buy the previous Xbox systems:

Original X box - Superior specs to the PS2, and at the time they had some nice exclusives like Halo.

X360 - Cheaper than PS3, and it also ran a lot of the multiplatform games better.

The earlier systems had a series of trade-offs...

PS2 - best exclusives, played DVDs, free online

Xbox - still a few nice exclusives, stronger hardware

PC - still a few nice exclusives, strongest hardware, best controls, free online

Gamecube - there's a reason more people still play the NES than the Gamecube

PS3 - good exclusives, better graphics, free online

360 - good exclusives, very low cost, better controller

PC - good exclusives, strongest hardware, best controls, free online

Wii - still a few nice exclusives, motion control

The Xbone and WiiU are not even close.

PS4 - good exclusives, better graphics, less expensive, better controller

Xbox One - ...TV?

PC - good exclusives, best graphics, roughly as expensive as an Xbone, best controls, free online

WiiU - save me? please?

Edited by Rennn

id probably buy a WiiU over an xbone.

actually no. i woudlnt. id just reinvest in my PC over both of them

i do plan on getting a PS4. but since my most anticipated game doesnt come out until September (Destiny) im in no rush. new SSD and headlights for my car come first lol.

The earlier systems had a series of trade-offs...

PS2 - best exclusives, played DVDs, free online

Xbox - still a few nice exclusives, stronger hardware

PC - still a few nice exclusives, strongest hardware, best controls, free online

Gamecube - there's a reason more people still play the NES than the Gamecube

PS3 - good exclusives, better graphics, free online

360 - good exclusives, very low cost, better controller

PC - good exclusives, strongest hardware, best controls, free online

Wii - still a few nice exclusives, motion control

The Xbone and WiiU are not even close.

PS4 - good exclusives, better graphics, less expensive, better controller

Xbox One - ...TV?

PC - good exclusives, best graphics, roughly as expensive as an Xbone, best controls, free online

WiiU - save me? please?

I really don't know what Nintendo were thinking of with the Wii-U, the Wii was a huge success but towards the end of its life they couldn't give the things away, the demographic they'd targeted had jumped ship to iOS, Android and Facebook. Nintendo needed to win core gamers back, instead they released something that caters for the very demographic that had long since moved on. Microsoft made a pigs ear of designing and marketing the Xbone but it was nothing compared to Nintendo.