Best Player home/castle

Sardonnicus

So after trying many different home mods on the nexus... I am still looking for that "perfect" home for my Dovah. I wanted to reach out and try and find out what you guys think the best home mod is.

For me, the perfect home mod is not to big, not to small. With auto storage that displays (ala Berts Breezehome) and everything laid out in an easy to navigate, uncluttered way.

I like the way BBH autosorts the items, and then displays them in logical ways around the home. It gives it a natural, lived in and functional appearance.

I am not interested in naked chicks or dudes in my Dovah's house, or an over abundance of mannequins/display plaques/cases. I would prefer labeled chests, pots, chests and closets over display cases any day.

Which home mods do you guys like? I have sampled just about all of the top 10 houisng mods and some lesser known ones in both housing categories here. So far, the 2 that come the closest to meeting my needs are Berts Breeze Home remodeled and Candle Pond Ranch.

Anyone know of similar mods out there to recommend?

BBHR has 2 navmesh errors that I cannot seem to figure out how to fix. I have read the tutiorial in Boss and tried it, but cannot get everything to load up properly.

So... your recommended housing mods??

i really like this mod home Sutvaka Fortified Estate it has a lot to offer. it does have mannequins and stuff. plus it has everything else like you want. this has gaurd that can be followers plus amerchant and cook. the guards have there own bulding to live and sleep in whent hey are not on duty. plus there is room for 6 followers to stay plus a prison which so far has no use, as of yet. and has 2 horses for you to use and a dog that can be a follower as well

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/33473/?

this other mod home i like as well since it is across from the whiterun stables Elysium Estate it is very well layed out plus . it is my 2nd home away from home but i just wish the smithing area was set to a higher lvl, since i am a high lvl player, 137 right now. but over all it has added storage for wine/mead/meats/food and so on. the storage for the meats has a cooling mist coming from it, make it like the meat will stay cold/frozen it even has 2 sinks with running water and a hot tub when you want to relaxe plus there is an outside area 1 as well.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/33939/?

either 1 is great, i use both since i gave up on my hearthfire built home since i got these 2 now, beside all of the other homes you get to buy in the game it self. these 2 are my top 2 homes, there is another home that i end up not using anymore. called The Asteria it is a ship that is floating in the air not far from lakeview manor, which was my 1st hearthfire home i built, only problem with this home is that there is a dragon that spawns near by that will attack you if your outside on deck. but it to has everything you need plus

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/13641/?

i really like this mod home Sutvaka Fortified Estate it has a lot to offer. it does have mannequins and stuff. plus it has everything else like you want. this has gaurd that can be followers plus amerchant and cook. the guards have there own bulding to live and sleep in whent hey are not on duty. plus there is room for 6 followers to stay plus a prison which so far has no use, as of yet. and has 2 horses for you to use and a dog that can be a follower as well

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/33473/?

this other mod home i like as well since it is across from the whiterun stables Elysium Estate it is very well layed out plus . it is my 2nd home away from home but i just wish the smithing area was set to a higher lvl, since i am a high lvl player, 137 right now. but over all it has added storage for wine/mead/meats/food and so on. the storage for the meats has a cooling mist coming from it, make it like the meat will stay cold/frozen it even has 2 sinks with running water and a hot tub when you want to relaxe plus there is an outside area 1 as well.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/33939/?

either 1 is great, i use both since i gave up on my hearthfire built home since i got these 2 now, beside all of the other homes you get to buy in the game it self. these 2 are my top 2 homes, there is another home that i end up not using anymore. called The Asteria it is a ship that is floating in the air not far from lakeview manor, which was my 1st hearthfire home i built, only problem with this home is that there is a dragon that spawns near by that will attack you if your outside on deck. but it to has everything you need plus

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/13641/?

Thanks for the info. I will try the first one you mentioned first. I have already tried the Elysium estate. It was close but not exactly what I was looking for. I think it only had one labeled area for armor storage, one for weapon storage. When lots of items get put into a container, it starts to make the game lag when I am browsing through the items, which is why I prefer item specific labeled storage.. ie: daggers, swords, war axes, light armor, heavy armor etc.

• 6 months later...

Great thread!

I too am looking for a very fluid, well organized, grid-layout home that is purely functional.

I get bored and tired of looking at all these pretty, intricate, maze-like homes that people are building.

All of them seem to have half of what you need, and half of what you dont (and the other half of what you need isnt there).

I'm considering even making a home.

Simple 3x3 grid-layout home, quite large, grand-scale, with each room doing what it should, and nothing else.

Am a bit confounded that nobody has made this yet.....

I had the same problem when looking for a suitable player house. There are some good ones out there but most are too over the top for me. I don't wan't a castle but I don't want a shack either.

I think Effeob has the right idea in that the only way you're likely to end up with your perfect house is to build it yourself.

I started making my own version of Lakeview manor for the this reason. You can see some early screen shots of it on my Lakeview modders resourse page http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/41645/?

Honestly, i think that making your own house (or just modifying an existing house) is probably one of the easier things you can do with the creation kit and if you plan on continuing to play for a while it's worth learning how to do it. There are many good tutorials out there. It's also very rewarding when you do it. At least I find it enjoyable.

Thanks for the info. I will try the first one you mentioned first. I have already tried the Elysium estate. It was close but not exactly what I was looking for. I think it only had one labeled area for armor storage, one for weapon storage. When lots of items get put into a container, it starts to make the game lag when I am browsing through the items, which is why I prefer item specific labeled storage.. ie: daggers, swords, war axes, light armor, heavy armor etc.

Elysium Estate has seperate Container for Amor (Clothing, Light, Heavy and Shields) and Weapon (Staffs, 1hand, 2hand) Types.

The Place i go when i'm in need of some time on my own for like crafting or epeening on my prescious Loot is Jaggarsfeld.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/38392/?

One container to sort them all and crafting is just epic.

Every crafting station in this mod does not require you to have the materials in your inventory. As long as they're in the proper chests from the sorting system, they will be usable in any crafting area within the property.

And then there is the Trophy Hall.

If auto sorting/auto retrieving (the same one used in Jaggarsfeld) is important, Im happy to report that I'm almost done creating a dynamic system that allows you to setup a sorting system in-game by selecting containers of your choice.

Great stuff guys. Love this community of players/modders.

Yes indeed I agree with mrpdean - everyone should learn to mod, at least with the CK.

I modded heavily with morrowind and oblivion - its not an issue of knowing how (CK makes it quite easy now) but more of investing the time vs playing :))

But yea.

Sjogga, love to see the result of your script (youre making it via scripts ya?) and would be happy to use it and source your work in credits if I do something...

Thanks for tips on Jaggarsfeld etc.

I also looked into a few more since posting:

Sjel Blad Castle at Skyrim Nexus - mods and community

Amazing first-time modder....seriously over the top, but well laid out.

The Dawnspire at Skyrim Nexus - mods and community

Dawnspire seems to also be quite popular

The Reserve at Skyrim Nexus - mods and community

The Reserve, gonna check this out too

Aemers Refuge Continued at Skyrim Nexus - mods and community

Aemars refuge --- liked the video walkthrough but like all of them its still not "simple enough yet grand enough".

If I wanted a house that looks like a house I'd buy a real house :D

I want a grandiose but simple and navigable place....so yes I still think I'll have to make it.

Yes indeed I agree with mrpdean - everyone should learn to mod, at least with the CK.

I modded heavily with morrowind and oblivion - its not an issue of knowing how (CK makes it quite easy now) but more of investing the time vs playing :smile:)

But yea.

Sjogga, love to see the result of your script (youre making it via scripts ya?) and would be happy to use it and source your work in credits if I do something...

Aemars refuge --- liked the video walkthrough but like all of them its still not "simple enough yet grand enough".

I want a grandiose but simple and navigable place....so yes I still think I'll have to make it.

Stonespire has often been called the best Castle mod on the nexus. It doesn't feature an auto-sorter though.

I modded heavily with morrowind and oblivion - its not an issue of knowing how (CK makes it quite easy now) but more of investing the time vs playing :smile:)

But yea.

Stonespire has often been called the best Castle mod on the nexus. It doesn't feature an auto-sorter though.

...so - youre going to put one in then right? :)

Looks very nice.

Will give it a try.

One thing that you didnt do - which most home makers also fail to do - is MAKING A MAP!!

THe first image I want to see when I look at a home is a floor-plan. A blueprint. Showing me what rooms there are, how its laid out, and THEN I'd like to see images of it.

90% of home mods dont have maps or floorplans of them which make it tiresome and tedious to just get to know what the place is like.

I shouldnt have to install a mod to have the first clue what it will be like.

If I do - I wont install it, as the author failed to introduce it properly.

*hint hint*