Best Player home/castle

Sardonnicus

Yes, learning the CK to create your own player home is really the best way. If you've never used the TES editors there are some basic tutorials at http://www.creationkit.com

It doesn't take long at all from learning the fundamentals to just having fun on your own and seeing what inspiring environments you can come up with. It's almost addicting and I often find myself just doodling up locations for the sake of it.

Edited by lazyskeever

I have yet to find the perfect home in the perfect location with all the features I want in a home. Most are way too big and you can literally get lost in them. Some the mod authors go nuts with clutter and useless decorations like hanging moss or Ivy every where. Then you have the ones where all the storage options are labeled to suit the authors way of storing things. For example they label a chest for chest armor pieces. I don't sort armor by the pieces, if I sort it at all its by light, heavy, then clothing. So on and so forth.

That being said I have two house mods that come close to what suits me.

Breezehome FullyUpgradable by Sku11M0nkey

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/11158/?

This one is my favorite and the one I use the most. It's on the small side but your not going to get lost in it. It has all the crafting tools and a auto sort system for the tools, located in a nice sized basement. Lots of storage with generic names so you can decide on what to put where. There is no auto sort for the storage options. Which is fine with me. Its also decorated nicely with out going over the top with clutter. In a upcoming updates it will get larger with the addition of a tower and expanded room in the lower level for more beds for followers and more storage. I urge you to give it a try.

Rapids Overlook - Player Home by Lord Xayd

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/47672/?

If you ever wanted to live in the Bannered Mare Inn here is your chance. The Bannered Mare is replicated just across the river from the Honningbrew Meadery. This mod expands the floor plan of the Bannered Mare making the old kitchen area, the back room, and the master bedroom deeper. The kitchen is moved to behind the bar and a armor is put in its place. There is a huge amount of storage. The one of the problems I have with this house is a lot of the storage is labeled telling you what should go in each chest and wardrobe. There is also no auto sort system of any kind. I am hoping Sjogga's up coming mod will fix this. You get a double bed in the master bedroom and three beds for followers/children above the armory. There is a added in basement that features all the standing stones and shrines. The back room is now where the alchemy table and enchanter are located. Outside you have all the smithing tools and some more storage. There are also planters scatter around the place for those that like to grow crops or alchemy plants. As a bonus outside you will find a general merchant to sell loot to and he also sells weapons, armor, and black smithing supplies. Inside you will find a bard and a serving girl that sells food and drink. Like I said it has flaws but over all its a nice place that's a little larger than Breezehome.

My favorite is "The Astrea".It's a pretty simple home which is a flying Dwemer Ship that

you can actually move around.I don't know about you guys but thats freakin awsome if I do say so myself.

...so - youre going to put one in then right? :smile:

Looks very nice.

Will give it a try.

One thing that you didnt do - which most home makers also fail to do - is MAKING A MAP!!

THe first image I want to see when I look at a home is a floor-plan. A blueprint. Showing me what rooms there are, how its laid out, and THEN I'd like to see images of it.

90% of home mods dont have maps or floorplans of them which make it tiresome and tedious to just get to know what the place is like.

I shouldnt have to install a mod to have the first clue what it will be like.

If I do - I wont install it, as the author failed to introduce it properly.

*hint hint*

Hm, nope. Can't say that I will ever include an auto-sorter. Some modders want to create a small place where you can dump your loot in three seconds then be off again. That's simply NOT why I mod.

I'm in two minds about auto-sorting. I'm going to include a version of my house mod which has it just because some people really want it in player homes, but I probably won't use it myself.

I quite like the process of manually going through all my takings from a long days adventuring and sorting it myself, but then I prefer realism over convenience.

I'm also not sure about huge trophy rooms. I personally want a homely house, not a museum. But again, I might include a version which has a trophy room somewhere for those that really want one.

• 3 years later...