THANK YOU TO ALL MODDERS FOR WHAT YOU DO!

OnoSendai58

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im 34 yrs old, Im in means new to gaming but are new to the whole modding thing. Im floored at what the modders of the community can do for just one game. the time, effort, and yes, sometimes, money that these developers put in to it is amazing.

I appreciate each and every one of yall.

I wish to add my words of appreciation to the many that have already been expressed here.

Speaking as a player, thank you all for the the creativity and hard work, and in many cases, the extraordinary

patience that you show in dealing with us.

I never cease to be amazed at the rudeness, the curt dismissall of your efforts, and utter cluelessness shown by some gamers.

Clearly, the ability to suffer fools gladly is a prime requirement to be a modder!!

Thank you for the many extra hours of enjoyment that your efforts make possible.

Clearly, the ability to suffer fools gladly is a prime requirement to be a modder!!

Hehe, I don't know about that, I think a lot of us are having too much fun creating mods to really mind them... :cool:

So please forgive me for sharing with you some of the fun I've had lately - the idea of having the player fix himself a Vanilla bug in game was so tempting, I could not resist it... :tongue:

More than ever this should be a message to send out.

There are several casualties of this kerfuffle involving Steam paid mods, but I don't know if any are worse than inter-community damage that may have been done to the modding scene.

I'm not saying there's been some kind of slaughter, mind you.

I'm sure for many people this probably won't have any great, undue effect, but the tragedy of this is that it should never escalated into what it became. Miscommunication and misunderstandings led to some regrettable events and words.

It's just been a sad incident.

We should let this event remind us of what an amazing thing we have here, not just at the Nexus but modding in all games, and to cherish it all the more.

So, because it can't be said enough: Thank you modders, for everything.

Another general gratitude post.

But I also think some specific gratitude and understanding may be in order. For some, Pay Mods represented an opportunity to do what they love more often and with better results. That opportunity ended quickly and fiercely by the community they supported with their work. I was a petition signer. I contributed to ending a few content creator's dreams, and for that I am sorry.

There has been a lot of outcry for a donation system, but the reality is that very few, if any, content creators will make even half of a living wage from donations. People talk a good game, but they don't really do it. Let's just look at the numbers...

In the US, a person making the national minimum wage earns $7.25 per hour of work. Let's say one of the better known mods took only 100 hours to make. That person would need would need to receive $725 in donations (per mod they make) in order to just earn minimum wage for their time and effort in producing the mod. That doesn't include the time they spend helping people use it, or fix bugs, or make compatibility patches. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong, but my gut tells me that most of these modders haven't truly been supported by their community.

Yes, yes. I know.. good modders do it for the love of the community. Just like all of us are pouring back into them, right?

So here is my pledge.. I've donated to a few of the modders I regularly enjoy. I pledge to get a few bucks (a cup of coffee or a beer) to each and every modder that I regularly enjoy in the next month or so. It won't be much, but it will be more than I would have paid for your mod, lib, tool, whatever. Get those donation buttons set up!

And if you are one of the modders whose had their dream crushed by the removal of paid mods, my sincere apology. That wasn't my goal in supporting the removal of paid mods. Please stick with us a bit longer. Maybe we can make it all a little more worth your while.

Let's see an outpouring of support from the community in a positive way. If you were like me and thought donation-ware was the way to go, prove it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This posting supported by the Campaign to End Modder Hunger and Show Community Love. This posting does not necessarily reflect the opinions of anyone that matters, the host of this site or any other person referred to as part of the community. The content of this mod is not copyrighted under US Federal law and the author holds no rights to its distribution. Donations made to member favored modders will be met with a hearty "yee-haw" and a slap on the back, or a winky kaomoji/emoticon.

Thanks very much guys! I think the Valve thing was a terrible implementation of the idea and was likely to kill modding forever (it actually may in fact have done so anyway). One good thing about it, though, is it's made me reconsider the value I place on mods. Since yesterday, I've donated two premium memberships to mod authors whose work I consider indispensible, and I really hope others will consider doing the same (it's like, three bucks to buy someone a month of premium). With both together, I spent less than I did on lunch yesterday.

In retrospect, I wonder if the modders wouldn't have preferred a direct donation, though. Anyone have thoughts on the subject?